What time should an 8 and 10 year old go to bed

My 8 year old goes to bed at 8pm and my 11 year old goes to bed at 9pm... these times aren't so strict at weekends and holidays, they still have to go to their rooms at the same time, but are allowed to do some reading or drawing or something for an hour.

We aim for around 8pm bedtime for my 10 yo and I think she needs that amount of sleep.

I have always been a parent who believes night time is adult time and kids should not be up until they choose. My youngest stays up late at weekends and hols but even then 9:30 is her limit and she usually chooses to go to bed before then anyway.

Even my 16yo is in bed by 10pm in the week. Lazy teenagers!

My very soon to be (7 days) 10 year old is no later than half 8. He would be so unproductive the next day with any less.

I also have a strict no getting up unless you need water or something policy, not just random stuff, else bedtimes don't mean anything!!

Good luck with talking to your partner about it.

My 10yr old goes to bed at 8pm and reads till 8.30pm - any later and she'd be out doing my bedtime lol..x

The 8 year old perhaps 8/8.30? The 10 year old maybe 9sh, and maybe an exeption if watching a film. :thumbup:

Mine go up at 8pm on schoolnights and watch a dvd them bed, weekends i let them stay up until 10:30 cos we av games and film nights.

My 6 year old goes to bed at 8pm and i guess it will stay that time for while yet ......... i think an 8 year old bed time should be about 8pm and a 10 year old no later than 9 x

My 10 year old has to go to her room at 8.30 but is allowed to read until 9.00. At weekends she tends to watch a dvd before bed so lights out is 10.30 x

My 10 YO goes to bed at 9pm school nights and my 6YO 8pm earlier for bad behaviour but the routine is the important part and you should discuss with their mum what time she has them in bed as your going to get nowhere otherwise xoxox

i only have a 5.5 year old so not much help with older kids but as a guide he goes to bed about 7pm on a schol night and about 8-8:30 very latest on wekend :)

children under the age of 16 need at least 12 hours sleep at night so i would just take it upon your self to determine the time they will wake and go back 12 hours and there you have a suitable bed time :)
i watched a show on tv a while ago showing the adverse effects on kids education and lifestyle if they didnt get at least 10 hours sleep at night but 12 is best :)

oh yeah forgot to mention i let my son read for a while to himself once he is in bed he turns his lights out when he is ready no tv or games allowed though in bed :)

I would say pre 9pm with the 8yo going a lot closer to 8pm.
I would allow them to read for a little while but i wouldn't allow tv or games consoles.

When I was 8 I think I had to go to bed at 7.30 and at ten years old at 8.

My 8 year old goes to bed at 7.30, and my 10 year old goes to bed at 9, unless she wants to read her kindle before she goes to sleep, in which case she has to go at 8.30.
My 12 year old goes to bed at 10, the younger ones wouldn't be up for school if they stayed up til 10 though!

My daughter is 9 and puts on her jammies and gets into bed at 8 but everything goes off at 8:30. :)

It really depends on the child and what time they need to be up in the morning. Some people do well on less sleep while others need more. If you find they are not getting up when they are supposed to in the mornings - they need to go to bed earlier obviously. My daughter is 7 yrs. She needs to get up at around 7:15a.m. She usually starts getting ready for bed around 8:30 and is asleep by 9:00 or 9:30 depending on how much dawdling went on and how long her bedtime reading goes. But she goes right to sleep when the lights are out almost always. This schedule works for us. On the nights that were delayed for one reason or another and she isn't going to sleep until 10 it is TOO much of a challenge to get her awake. Sometimes even the 9:30 nights are too much - so I really try to make sure lights are out at 9:00 when I can. That's a good 10 hours of sleep then which seems agreeable to her.

My kids are 7 and almost 9 and they go to bed at 8pm on school nights (a bit later on nights that they have Scouts and Sparks - sometimes as late as 9pm on Souts nights) and can be up as late as 9 or even 10pm (for a special show or activity) on weekends and summer vacation. They wake up in the morning at 7:15am on school mornings, and as they please on weekends or morning we don't have to go anywhere (the most they sleep in until is probably 8am).

DD1 is 8 and she goes to bed at 8.30, she shares a room though with her sister so is unable to go and read up there, she instead reads downstairs.

Next month she will be going into her room so her bedtime will go back to 8.00pm and will be allowed to read till 8.30pm.

When i was a kid say 8 i was in bed by about 8pm, and at 10 i was in bed about 9 latest.
I think 8pm is a reasonable time for 8-10 year olds.

My daugter is 9, on school nights she's in bed by 8.30-8.45 and on the weekends I normally let her stay up until about 10 x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->