What to ask the doctor after miscarriage

June_Sprite74

2 children (14 & 8) TTC#3
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I saw this section and was really pleased to be able to post here.

My story is I am 36 and have 2 children aged 13 and 8 with my ex-husband. I have been with my current partner for 5 years and started actively trying for a baby of our own last July. I fell pregnant in the September of '09 and got a positive after missed period then at 5 weeks miscarried. Same happened in January '10 after 6 weeks, both times I didn't see the doctor as the bleeding was kind of like a late heavy period. Plus with my other 2 pregnancies I only saw a midwife at 12 weeks each time which is what I planned to do when I got to that stage.
This last pregnancy, however, I reached the 10 week stage and had already had scans at 5 & 7 weeks as I developed bad side pain, ectopic was mentioned, but in the end all was fine and I even saw a heartbeat. Then unexpectedly, last weekend gone, I started bleeding heavily and on Sunday finally miscarried. On Tuesday the Early Pregnancy Unit confirmed a complete miscarriage and my uterus is already nearly back to it's normal size. She checked everything and all seems to be fine to try again.

Sorry this is a long rambling post but it feels good to actually write down what happened. Anyway, I am seeing my GP tonight to hand her the hospital notes etc. I want to broach the subject of having 3 consecutive m/c and wonder if she will be likely to offer testing for us; what with the first 2 being non-medical, and under the doctor's radar, so to speak.

Welcome June and very sorry to hear about your losses. You will find support as well as a place to get all crazy in this forum!
I think after 3 miscarriages your doctor will himself recommend testing. Tests will include the thrombophilia panel which has the last years been linked to recurrent miscarriages.
Good luck hun

Hi June - I'm so sorry for your losses. If you go check out the Recurrent Miscarriage thread in the Miscarriage Support forum, several ladies have listed exactly what tests were done on them: https://www.babyandbump.com/miscarriage-support/127351-recurrent-miscarriage-thread.html

I'm just finishing up the testing myself. They drew one vial of blood from DH and about 12 from me. They used those to do a chromosome analysis of both me and DH, and check me for all sorts of hormonal/endocrine problems (like diabetes and thyroid function as well as various menstrual related hormones), blood clotting disorders and auto-immune disorders (like coeliac and lupus). They also did an HSG on me to check the structure of my uterus, looking for fibroids, a septum, blocked tubes, etc. They may also want to do sperm analysis on your OH.

Hi June,

I shouldn't really be in this thread, but I thought I'd butt in and tell you what I know. I'm also in Northumberland, and was told by my Dr that after 3 m/c s they will start testing, so this should apply to you too. I'm not sure if the testing is doen at your local Dr's/hospital or the Centre for Life though.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you! :hugs:

K

This is interesting as I had about 8 vials of blood taken for tests, but not heard back yet and have no idea what they were for. There was no mention of testing OH. Both of us have kids with previous partners and I know my uterus is fine as I've had scans after my miscarriages.

Your GP may recommend testing, but depending on how nice they are, as they won't have a record of your previous miscarriages. Good luck.

Rikki, my doctor did take about 7 vials of blood from me and the results from 1 showed I have an underactive thyroid. My partner was not tested. I am now on medication to get the dosage right - I have linked to another thread here: https://www.babyandbump.com/ttc-after-loss/362999-blood-test-results-back-after-my-mc.html

All other bloods came back fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->