What to do if milk dries up before she's 1 year old?

jessmke

Reaction score
We are TTC baby #2, our DD is almost 9 months old. I've gotten pregnant on our first try 3 times now (first two were chemicals) so I am assuming I will get pregnant again quickly! I am really hoping to be able to continue breastfeeding throughout pregnancy, but I have heard that milk supply often decreases drastically or completely dries up in the second trimester. If this happens before DD is a year old will I have to switch her onto formula? I am a bit stressed about this because she will not drink out of a bottle. She will drink out of a cup but has never had a full feed from a cup, she just takes sips. She is on solids but we are doing BLW so she doesn't really consume a whole lot yet. I would love to hear what people did who might have already come through the same situation. Thanks!

My eldest two never drank formula out of a cup, my milk dried up as I went back to work and they basically ate too much solids. My first was about ten months and my second about 8. It's not ideal but my hv told me to put the formula in food and give them plenty of dairy plus their vitamins. I put 4oz with weetabix in the morning eg. It will all wrk out or maybe she won't be as stubborn as mine and will accept the formula in a cup!

I don't know abou the milk drying out as I've not been in that situation, but at 9 months now, she will be 1 year or older when you are in second trimester. I Think she should have no trouble with a sippy cup at that point.

Elma is sot on, your LO would be a year by second tri anyway. You would be fine just ensuring that she gets plenty of calcium in her food and she could drink water. Things like yoghurt, cheese, and foods made with milk. My LO will be weaned off formula completely by 1.

Try different kinds of cups. We find that a free flow cup works best. My friends wee one uses a 360 cup well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->