What to expect from induction?

Anna1982

mummy of 4
Reaction score
Hiya

Ive been booked in for induction for between 37 and 38 weeks, I was wondering what happens and what to expect?

Im excited though lol

Hi there, well i had both my boys by induction so here's what you can maybe expect:
Check in to hospital, midwife does trace of babys heartbeat for about half an hour to get a good printout. Doc exmaines you, if your cervix is closed they will put a pessary inside you to try and open it up. This can either work straight away or it may take a few doses (max 3 spaced quite a few hours apart so this can take quite a while in some cases). If your cervix is already open enough to break your waters they will do that. Then they get you to walk about to try and start labour, if nothing happens they will put you on a drip that starts the contractions. (as they are inducing contractions you don't get the bild up of normal contractions and i found both times i went from haviing no pain to 'oh my god' pain so i was in no doubt it was real labour! Ive heard a lot of horror stories about inductions being much more painful and taking a lot longer but i had my 1st baby in 4 hours and my 2nd in 2 hours! Im actually hoping i have to be induced again with this one! As for the pain - i figure its gonna hurt either way and i have no 'natural' labour to compare it to. Ill have sorer but quicker anyday! Good luck when the time comes. (p.s an induction also means no stress of trying to get to the hospital whilst in labour - you can check in and get your stuff all organised which is quite nice!:thumbup:).

with my eldest they didnt do the pessery/gel, they just broke my waters and stuck me on a drip too get things moving quickly. i was on the drip until he was born.

with blake my waters had already broken but i wasnt getting contractions. they monitored me for half hr or so, did my bp, urine, temp etc and then did an inernal to see IF i was dilated at all. i was enough for them to use a pessery but nothing else. i had to stay on the bed on a monitor for an hour then encouraged to walk around (this was hard as my back had started to cease from laying.)

the monitor was picking up contractions although i wasnt feeling them. the plan was to do another pessery 6hrs after the 1st BUT Blake decided that his heart rate was going to do silly things and the crash team came running etc! and i was taken to delivery where i was attached to a drip.

there were a lot of wires and monitors and i felt as if i was under too much pressure by everyone running in and out.
i wouldn't like to be induced again. i was in labour for 4 days 3 in slow labour and then they induced me. which was why i was annoyed they didn't induce me sooner!
then i was stuck in hospital for a further 2 weeks because of forceps delivery.
which could have been pravented if they would've induced me earlier giving me more strength to push without help.
so the induction was good for speeding up the process but they were silly enough to take there time about it.

yours sounds well planned and in your cercumstances i would be looking forward to it too.

x x x x good luck hope everything goes well hun x x x x

thanks for this thread it helps a lot :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"