What to expect?

BabyDreamer82

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Hi girls, I had an incomplete miscarriage on Monday at 8 weeks :cry:
the Dr has said to wait it out till Monday coming & then we will look at medical management, I dont know much about this execpt that its a hormone that should make me expel the baby?
could anyone tell me how long it might take to work? What should I expect? Im so bloody scared.:cry:

Hi hun, sorry your going through this. :hugs:

I had medical management 2 weeks ago at 11+2 (baby stopped growing at 7 weeks) It involves 2 trips to the hospital, 48 hours apart. The first visit you are given a oral tablet, and then return 2 days later for some vaginal tablets, and you will usually pass the pregnancy in hospital that day. My experience is as follows:

I went into hospital on the monday, and took one tablet orally. This blocks the progesterone which would maintain the pregnancy. I then had bloods taken to check what my blood group was incase a transfusion is needed. I saw a Dr who did my blood pressure etc. I then stayed about 30 mins to make sure I didnt be sick, and then went home. I was told that some women may miscarry after this tablet.
Tuesday evening I started bleeding, but it slowed down during the night.
I had to be at hospital for 9am on the wednesday, when we got there, I was shown to my room and had 4 tablets inserted vaginally. This is to make your uterus contract so you can pass the pregnancy. About an hour after the tablets I started to get some cramping which got much worse over the next hour. I had already had some strong co-codamol, but I also had a votorol suppository which I must say worked really well ( I definitely recommend them even though its not fun having it done!) The pain was pretty bad, much like contractions if you have ever experience them.
The bleeding also got a lot worse, and I needed to change my pad probably about every 40 mins. About 2 and a half hours after I had the tablets I stood up to go to the loo and as I did, I felt a strange sensation and knew what had happened. I had lost the sac. I went to the loo and it was in my knickers (sorry tmi) the complete sac with waters and contents still in tact. I didnt see any actual fetus as that part of the sac was covered in blood, which I'm grateful for. Hubby got the nurse who calmly took it away, as they will need to send it off to be tested. I also forgot to mention that there is a bed pan in the loo at all times, so they can monitor your loss, so dont be alarmed about that.
I felt instantly better after I passed the main part which was odd. During the next hour I had some moderate pains and quite heavy bleeding. But by 1:30 I was allowed home.
If you havent passed the sac 3 hours after the 1st tablets you will be given more to swallow.
The next few days I had some pain but nothing major painkillers couldnt help with, and fairly heavy bleeding with lots of quite large clots. I took the rest of the week off work while the bleeding was heavy to recover.
Its been 15 days now and although I am still having on and off bleeding I would say Im almost back to normal.

I hope I havent scared you, but I found it really helped knowing what to expect.

Really hope it all goes well for you, here if you need anything else :hugs:

Thankyou so much for your response, It didn't scare me too much more :wacko:
Im hoping something will happen between now & monday so I dont need to do it, but spotting seems to have stopped & Im still not cramping.
This was my first pregnancy so Im not sure about labour-like pains but Im guessing this will be like REALLY bad period pain.

Yes, labor is like really intense period pain. I know that the cytotec can make the cramping more intense than the natural miscarriage (though not more intense than labor). Hopefully they can give you something for that, even if it's just ibprofen.

I didn't end up taking medical management. I got the D&C (ercp?) instead. That procedure wasn't bad at all, but I did have some heavy cramping for 24 hrs and moderate cramping for 3 days after.

Hugs for you! You're going to be alright and it will be over soon.

Hi all

I thought I would ask for a little advice too, as I am not undecided about what to do.

I found out two weeks ago that I had a MMC (baby measured 7 weeks).

Since then I have had spotting / light bledding (mostly brownish, never bright red) with small clots.

I saw the doctor yesterday and he recommended medical managment, so I am supposed to go in on Tuesday to begin that...

But I don't like the idea of taking the medicine, but also do not want a D&C.
I also really feel bad missing many days of work (just because my work needs me, but of course I realize my health is more important than work..)

My questions:

Have I been experiencing a slow miscarriage or has nothing happened yet..
Will this eventually resolve itself or should I just go with the medicine?

Many thanks for any advice :)

I had to have medical management on 31 December, nature was taking to long for the doctors. I was given four tablets inserted into vagina ( sorry tmi) and given four to take home and take oral the next morning, two at nine and two four hours after.
After the first four being inserted I was made to lie on the bed for half an hour and my blood was taken. I started spotting an hour after. i had heavy bleeding and clots during the evening. I passed the sac and baby the same day. The pain was bad but not bad enough to take the painkillers the gave me.
On news yrs day I had large clots and a lot of pain. I tried to sleep the whole day and the following day the pain completely stopped. The bleeding slowed right down and was gone three days after. 10 days after new yes eve I had a rescan and was told everything had passed.

I hope this helps xxxx

Thankyou girls for sharing your experiences, I am so very sorry for your losses:hugs:

So its been 7 days now & still nothing is happening, the spotting even stopped a few days ago, so I will be talking to my Dr toworrow & hopefully start medical management, I really want this to all be over - the waiting is doing my head in:growlmad: Im getting married in 1 1/2 weeks - trying to keep focused on that but its hard.

SMFirst - I know what you mean about missing work, I feel terrible as I have the other staff covering my shifts, my boss has been brilliant but I feel so guilty as I will end up having 3weeks off, I have annual leave for the week of my wedding. Good luck to you.:hugs:

Sorry that its not going how you wanted but you will be fine. I know things are different around the world, in the UK all the tablets are given in hospital and you stay there for the whole day, whereas I know in some other countries you are given the tablets and sent home.
They told me that every experience is different, some women get terrible pain, but little bleeding, other have horrific bleeding but little pain. Will be thinking of you and hope it goes as easily as possible for you xx

Congrats on your wedding too! x

Thankyou girls for sharing your experiences, I am so very sorry for your losses:hugs:

So its been 7 days now & still nothing is happening, the spotting even stopped a few days ago, so I will be talking to my Dr toworrow & hopefully start medical management, I really want this to all be over - the waiting is doing my head in:growlmad: Im getting married in 1 1/2 weeks - trying to keep focused on that but its hard.

SMFirst - I know what you mean about missing work, I feel terrible as I have the other staff covering my shifts, my boss has been brilliant but I feel so guilty as I will end up having 3weeks off, I have annual leave for the week of my wedding. Good luck to you.:hugs:

Hi Babydreamer - What a stressful time for you.. :( But I really hope you enjoy your wedding to the fullest you can as it's a wonderful day.

Soon this will all be over and you'll be able to look forward to the future with your husband, and soon family :)

Well it looks like Im getting an appointment at the hospital, but the stupid Dr there wants me to continue with 'conservative management' Im grumpy!
My normal Dr is getting me in for bloods again today & will send him a letter trying to push for medical management as soon as possible, I like her, hopefully we can get this over with by the end of the week.
Bloody men, obviously doesn't realise how much work needs to be done just before a wedding :wacko:

Hi Ladies,
I am sorry for your loses and the decisions you must make at this time. I have had two MC in the past 3 months. The first MC I had I was 10 weeks, and the baby was measuring 7.5 weeks. I did not have any cramping or bleeding, therefore I had a D & C. I was nervous about the procedure but it went smoothly and I had no complications. I bled for maybe a week? but it wasn't too heavy and the cramping was about what you might have with a period. The cramping only lasted for two days maybe?
This last time was absolutely miserable! I found out on Thurs. January 20, that my baby did not have a heartbeat and was measuring 6.5 weeks. My dr. suggested Cytotec but there was a chance it would not complete the MC and I would have to do the D & C anyway (plus it is painful). I opted for the D & C since my last experience went smoothy. I started bleeding on Saturday. Sunday I began early labor contractions, and started losing the baby naturally. (LONG DAY!!!) On monday and tuesday I was still having contractions and still bleeding clots. I lost a lot of blood...my hemoglobin dropped to 9.4 (normally 12). My Dr. sent me in for a scan on Tuesday to find out that the gestational sac and fetus was stuck in my cervix and I would need the D & C on Wednesday anyway. The D & C relieved me of my pain, I had slight cramping but nothing in comparison to what it was and the bleeding has been minimal.
I know that my experience may be more traumatizing than some women's experiences. I also know that everyone's pain tolerance is different. The D & C was quick, not messy, and far less painful. The pill will be painful, messy, and you still may need a D & C. But, the D & C is a surgery, can cause infection, and it's thinning the uterine wall. My Dr. was hoping I would pass the baby naturally as it was best for my body. You need to do what you feel is best for your body and yourself emotionally, as well.

I hope your experience will go smoothly and the pain will be minimal. I am sorry you must go through this. :(

Hi girls, just an update, I had a d&c yesterday, the Dr at the hospital was great, he decided on the d&c as it would be over quicker & he said I could still be bleeding heavy for my wedding if we did mm.
It was bloody scary, but df was there to hold my hand before I went thru & after I came out.
Im feeling good, a bit crampy, the first few hours after I felt quite sore, bruised & had a bit of blood, but now its just like a light period/heavy spotting. All Ive needed for the pain is paracetamol.
I was really scared to have that 1st wee afterwards, it stung a little but was fine after my 3rd wee, I was also scared to see the blood, but there wasn't that much. I did however have a hell of a betadine mess allover me!:wacko: it was all down my thighs, over my hips and all up my butt, gave me a bit of a fright at first, but was a refief as I thought it was blood at first.

I want to thank you all again for sharing your experiences & you kind wishes.
I would now recommend a d&c, as scary as the thought of having an op is, I think it was best for me, as it was over quick, I dont have much pain or bleeding, & I didn't have the pain of passing or seeing my baby.

Massive :hugs: to all of you & I really hope none of us have to go thru this again.

SMFirst - how are you doing?

Hi Babydreamer

Really glad it all went ok for you, and you'll be able to focus on your wonderful wedding now.

I went to the doctor's on Tuesday night (6:30pm) and started the medical management - 4 pills of cytotec inserted vaginally, then taking 1 pill every four hours orally.

I experienced some cramping, not excruciating, passing clots and larger pieces, and some heavy bleeding starting at about 10pm to about 2am (in hindsight not a great idea to start this process late in the day but I wanted to get in as soon as possible..)

Then everything stopped - no cramps, bleeding became very light no more clots. I felt fine on Wed so I went back to the doctor to see if he thought this was normal.. He thinks I might have passed everything in one shot, but I should be so lucky..

I am now waiting to hear from the ultrasound place to get in so they can check.. If everything has passed I will be very happy, but if not I guess I will get to move on to round 3 - the D&C..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->