What to give up to give up dairy?

angel2010

Cart & Emma's mom, 1mc
Reaction score
I think lo has silent reflux. I am thinking about giving up dairy. I know I would need to give up basics, like milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, but what about things like chocolate or anything at all cooked with milk?

Unfortunately all products that contain dairy would need to be eliminated even if it has minute traces it should be avoided

you also need to watch out for hidden dairy in foods as well

https://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/hidden-dairy01.pdf

And it can take 2-3 weeks for dairy to get completely out of yours and your LO's systems.

The hidden dairy link provided by the poster above is good. Don't forget to check everything you eat or drink. I found that even the probiotic supplements I was taking had milk ingredients. You may need to cut out all soy as well, as it is a very similar protein and many babies that don't tolerate milk protein have trouble with soy as well. For us, it really made a dramatic difference in my LO's reflux.

Pretty much everything!! I couldn't believe where dairy reared its ugly head. We have now started introducing things one by one and I seem to be able to eat things like bread and cake so far.

Pretty much everything!! I couldn't believe where dairy reared its ugly head. We have now started introducing things one by one and I seem to be able to eat things like bread and cake so far.

This is what I am scared of. It is in SO much!! I think for now I am just going to give up chocolate, soda and coffee and major dairy. Hopefully there is some improvement and if not, I will get hardcore.

It depends on how sensitive he is. Some find they can get away with small amounts of dairy fine.

I've found that giving up the obvious dairy has made a difference. I don't look for the hidden dairy anymore! She's six months and seems to be able to tolerate a small amount in my diet. I don't give it to her at all and avoid it in all baby foods. I find I can't eat cheese at all - that's a big no for us. I'm afraid I still eat far too much chocolate and it seems to be ok for her although I am starting to put back on the weight I lost breastfeeding!!!

Thanks ladies. I got some Zantac from the dr so I am hoping that helps along with limiting my diet.

Try and cut out the major things first and then if still a problem cut out the hidden stuff

Honestly I havnt found it that hard to do. If basically you don't eat anything processed or pre made it's pretty easy.

Warning about soy milk though . Use it in moderation . You body breaks down soy into basically synthetic estrogen so having it on your diet can cause some hormonal issues

Try and cut out the major things first and then if still a problem cut out the hidden stuff

Honestly I havnt found it that hard to do. If basically you don't eat anything processed or pre made it's pretty easy.

Warning about soy milk though . Use it in moderation . You body breaks down soy into basically synthetic estrogen so having it on your diet can cause some hormonal issues

This isn't strictly true. Soya does contain phyto-oestrogens which are oestrogen-like substances; however many other plants and legumes also contain high levels of these and nuts and seeds contain higher levels comparitively than soya does. Western brands of soya milk contain a small percentage of soya; usually around 5-7% whereas Chinese brands may contain up to 70%. It would be almost impossible to overload on phyto-oestrogens from soya milk intake alone, the supplements containing them that are taken to restore hormonal balance contain many many hundreds if not thousands of times the levels you'd find in any Western soya milk.

The research on negative effects of soya is almost all done on GMO soya and also on very high levels of isolated phyto-oestrogens which would be virtually impossible for any human to get even from a supplement, let alone from food sources. They could do similar research with naturally occuring oestrogens and fats in dairy; and from what I remember they have done this in the past and it caused or contributed to aggressive cancers.

The main problem with soya aside from most of it being GMO in the US and Canada (not Europe) is it is easy to develop an intolerance to it yourself if you have a lot of it; or baby can develop one to it quite easily as well. Therefore as a vegan we don't have soya products all the time, maybe 1-2 times a week now and sometimes we will just not have any soya products at all for a while and just have other alternatives instead. xx

Interesting info about soy, thanks for sharing

This isn't strictly true. Soya does contain phyto-oestrogens which are oestrogen-like substances; however many other plants and legumes also contain high levels of these and nuts and seeds contain higher levels comparitively than soya does. Western brands of soya milk contain a small percentage of soya; usually around 5-7% whereas Chinese brands may contain up to 70%. It would be almost impossible to overload on phyto-oestrogens from soya milk intake alone, the supplements containing them that are taken to restore hormonal balance contain many many hundreds if not thousands of times the levels you'd find in any Western soya milk.

The research on negative effects of soya is almost all done on GMO soya and also on very high levels of isolated phyto-oestrogens which would be virtually impossible for any human to get even from a supplement, let alone from food sources. They could do similar research with naturally occuring oestrogens and fats in dairy; and from what I remember they have done this in the past and it caused or contributed to aggressive cancers.

The main problem with soya aside from most of it being GMO in the US and Canada (not Europe) is it is easy to develop an intolerance to it yourself if you have a lot of it; or baby can develop one to it quite easily as well. Therefore as a vegan we don't have soya products all the time, maybe 1-2 times a week now and sometimes we will just not have any soya products at all for a while and just have other alternatives instead. xx

My sister is a nurse and I'm tryin to find the study she showed me . When I was dairy free with my first she showed me a study that showed women having issues with fertility , premature menopause and even problems with baby boys on soy formula that's why I stoped drinkin so much of it and alternate it with almond or coconut milk

I have up everything that had any traces in. Even some crisps etc! And also anything that had soy as lots of babies who are dairy intolerant are also soy intolerant.

I just read the allergy warning on anything I bought.

My little man has a suspected cows milk protein intolerance and I've given up everything with any dairy in, even things with traces of milk. I'll be doing this for two weeks then gradually introducing small amounts to see how he reacts x

My sister is a nurse and I'm tryin to find the study she showed me . When I was dairy free with my first she showed me a study that showed women having issues with fertility , premature menopause and even problems with baby boys on soy formula that's why I stoped drinkin so much of it and alternate it with almond or coconut milk

That's just one study, the majority of studies show no difference in fertility for women or men, but like I said there are other reasons to avoid monopolising soya alternatives. I had to cut out all soya in everything for 18 months once as I had been having too much chocolate soya milk and I started getting similar symptoms to lactose intolerance (I am lactose intolerant too). There is one good thing about soya milk not found in other dairy alternatives and that is high protein levels, if someone is on a restricted diet it's important to combine protein rich dairy alternatives with grains and legumes otherwise it's harder to get the full range of amino acids xx

I have up everything that had any traces in. Even some crisps etc! And also anything that had soy as lots of babies who are dairy intolerant are also soy intolerant.

I just read the allergy warning on anything I bought.

Same here. I'm dairy free and limit my soy. For chocolate. I've bought the enjoy life brand because its dairy and soy free and delicious. I use almond or coconut milk for everything else. It hasn't been that bad. The only thing I miss is cheese and eating out (soo limited)

When I cut out dairy I had to cut out ALL dairy, including anything with cooked milk, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->