What to substitute Rice Cereal with?

tattlebaby

Reaction score
Anyone on here staying away from Grains until baby is well over 1 yr of age? If so, please help…what could I substitute Rice Cereal with? Is Oatmeal ok to use? And how about Quinoa? I'm thinking of Breakfast Combos to start trying with LO, she is now almost 9 months old.

Yes, either one is fine. This is your sixth thread in three day about eating, why are you stressing about this so much? It's supposed to be fun!

We tried both rice and oatmeal for about two days, she HATED them, so we went to the purees from there...she loves vegetables and vegetable blends (peas are her absolute favorite, not sure whose child she is, since i HATE peas..must be her daddy's genetics :haha:) and some fruits, though she seems to not be as big on them...she has had lots of the plum organics line, and beechnut "just" lines, and those have things like quinoa, amaranth, lentils, etc in them, which she seems to like alot...

If you are trying to avoid grains, oats and quinoa are still both grains. Rice is usually the most digestible of all the grains and rarely causes an allergic reaction or intolerance compared to other things (though the nutritional quality of rice cereals for babies are a bit questionable, that might be less of an issue if you have a genuine reason to avoid other grains). Otherwise, I would stick with things like fruit, yogurt or eggs for breakfast.

MindUtopia is right, and you really don't need to give your baby grains just go straight to puréed food. LO doesn't like texture of rice cereal, he started eating solids today and I started him on home made food, no cereal for us for now but I will keep trying oatmeal maybe once a week. His brother loved oatmeal with yogurt.

I am also avoiding anything with rice due to inorganic arsenic levels. As others have stated my baby will only eat purees so I blend grains dry into powders and then cook them into purees. We have oats, millet and amaranth so far. Friends have also used couscous. Really, anything is fine.

To make the puree I blend into a powder for about 2 minutes. I simmer 1 cup of water and add 1/4 cup of the powder and stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Sometimes it's still clumpy so I will blend it again. I then serve it with fruits and or veggies.

Once it's cooked it will keep in the fridge for 3 days or you can freeze it for up to 3 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->