What would you do in this situation?

channy3232

Reaction score
My father-in-law passed away Thursday. The house we live in now used to be my in laws'. We bought it from them. I went around to the neighbors and let them know he had passed. They lived here for 25 years so they knew the neighbors that lived here a long time very well.
Well my FIL had a friend that he would golf with every summer. I think he used to work with him and they both had retired so they would golf together. I asked my husband about him and if someone should call him and let him know. (my FIL got sick and passed so quickly, most people didn't even know he was sick) My husband thought it was a good idea to call the friend. We asked my MIL if she knew his phone number and she said "eh, if he gets a newspaper, he'll see the obituary" But not everyone subscribes to the newspaper, let alone reads the obits! I feel bad because I can imagine this guy calling to ask my FIL to golf this summer, only to be told he's died! I found his phone number online. My husband said he was willing to call him. Should we call him??? I would just feel awful if a friend of mine passed and I didn't find out and wasn't able to attend the funeral.

Yes hun, I would call him. It would be awful to find out his friend had died, and he didnt have a chance to pay his last respects

Sorry for your news.

I would give him a call.

I would call him too hun if they were pretty close :hugs: xx

sorry to hear about your loss. I would definitly call him. He shouldnt have to read about his friend passing in the newspaper :nope:

Sorry for your loss :hugs:

I would call him. too I don't know anyone other than my gran who reads the obits in the paper so I wouldn't want to bank on people finding out that way.

:hugs: sorry to hear your FIL passed
i would call or get your DH to call it would be horrible to call in 6months to ask him to play golf to find out he missed the funeral x

Sorry for your loss hun :flow:

I'd call him. It would be horrible for him to find out about your FIL by reading a newspaper xx

I would call him.

Your MiL may not be thinking things through at the moment, bereavement makes people act in many ways that might be out of character and she may appreciate that you took the initiative when she looks back.

I wouldn't want to find out an old friend had died through a newspaper or by a call later in the year, especially if that meant I had missed the funeral.

Also, a call from an old friend asking to speak to her husband may upset your MiL at a later date.

I'm sorry for your loss. :hugs::hugs:

Thanks ladies! My husband ended up calling him and guess what. He HAD seen it in the newspaper! But he said he truly appreciated the call from my husband. I know if I had been in his place, I would have appreciated someone calling me personally. So I'm glad I found the number and had him call :)

now our problem is a MAJOR ice storm coming through Tuesday night into Wednesday, the day of the funeral. Please cross your fingers, pray, or whatever you personally do that the temperature stays above freezing and it just rains! The weathermen aren't completely sure what sort of precipitation we might get. Could be snow, freezing rain, sleet, or rain. The drive from the church to the cemetery is about 15 miles so I'm worried about icy roads :(

So sorry about your loss. I'm glad you called and his friend knows. :hugs: I would've done the same. Fingers x'ed the snow/ice doesn't completely ruin the driving conditions. My family back home are under a severe storm watch right now in Northern Ohio so I heard it's gonna be a big one.

Sorry for your loss :hugs:
Hope the weather holds out for you all :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"