What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by channy3232, Jan 31, 2011.

1. channy3232

channy3232 Well-Known Member

My father-in-law passed away Thursday. The house we live in now used to be my in laws'. We bought it from them. I went around to the neighbors and let them know he had passed. They lived here for 25 years so they knew the neighbors that lived here a long time very well.
    Well my FIL had a friend that he would golf with every summer. I think he used to work with him and they both had retired so they would golf together. I asked my husband about him and if someone should call him and let him know. (my FIL got sick and passed so quickly, most people didn't even know he was sick) My husband thought it was a good idea to call the friend. We asked my MIL if she knew his phone number and she said "eh, if he gets a newspaper, he'll see the obituary" But not everyone subscribes to the newspaper, let alone reads the obits! I feel bad because I can imagine this guy calling to ask my FIL to golf this summer, only to be told he's died! I found his phone number online. My husband said he was willing to call him. Should we call him??? I would just feel awful if a friend of mine passed and I didn't find out and wasn't able to attend the funeral.

2. dizzyisacow

dizzyisacow wife,mother & myself

sorry about your fil hun. i would call him. x:hugs:

3. 3rdtimelucky

3rdtimelucky mammy to 3 beautiful kids

Yes hun, I would call him. It would be awful to find out his friend had died, and he didnt have a chance to pay his last respects

4. Midsomer

Midsomer First time mum to Amelia

Sorry for your news.

I would give him a call.

5. NickyT75

NickyT75 RIP Sophie my angel

I would call him too hun if they were pretty close :hugs: xx

6. aly888

aly888 Lana-Boo's mummy & WTT #2

sorry to hear about your loss. I would definitly call him. He shouldnt have to read about his friend passing in the newspaper :nope:

7. JessdueJan

JessdueJan Well-Known Member

I'd definately call him. Sorry about your FiL :hugs:

8. Kiddo

Kiddo Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss :hugs:

I would call him. too I don't know anyone other than my gran who reads the obits in the paper so I wouldn't want to bank on people finding out that way.

9. hazzabeanie

hazzabeanie mum of 2

sorry to hear of your loss. i would def call him xx

10. amie-leigh

amie-leigh Mummy To Princess Morgan

:hugs: sorry to hear your FIL passed
    i would call or get your DH to call it would be horrible to call in 6months to ask him to play golf to find out he missed the funeral x

11. Fooled_Heart

Fooled_Heart Mummy to an angel

Sorry for your loss hun :flow:

I'd call him. It would be horrible for him to find out about your FIL by reading a newspaper xx

12. Jody R

Jody R Well-Known Member

I would call him.

Your MiL may not be thinking things through at the moment, bereavement makes people act in many ways that might be out of character and she may appreciate that you took the initiative when she looks back.

I wouldn't want to find out an old friend had died through a newspaper or by a call later in the year, especially if that meant I had missed the funeral.

Also, a call from an old friend asking to speak to her husband may upset your MiL at a later date.

I'm sorry for your loss. :hugs::hugs:

13. channy3232

channy3232 Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies! My husband ended up calling him and guess what. He HAD seen it in the newspaper! But he said he truly appreciated the call from my husband. I know if I had been in his place, I would have appreciated someone calling me personally. So I'm glad I found the number and had him call :)

now our problem is a MAJOR ice storm coming through Tuesday night into Wednesday, the day of the funeral. Please cross your fingers, pray, or whatever you personally do that the temperature stays above freezing and it just rains! The weathermen aren't completely sure what sort of precipitation we might get. Could be snow, freezing rain, sleet, or rain. The drive from the church to the cemetery is about 15 miles so I'm worried about icy roads :(

14. cleckner04

cleckner04 Well-Known Member

So sorry about your loss. I'm glad you called and his friend knows. :hugs: I would've done the same. Fingers x'ed the snow/ice doesn't completely ruin the driving conditions. My family back home are under a severe storm watch right now in Northern Ohio so I heard it's gonna be a big one.

15. rosie272

rosie272 mum to charlie finn

Sorry for your loss :hugs:
    Hope the weather holds out for you all :flower: