What would you do?

Pearls18

Reaction score
If the perfect job opportunity was advertised while you only had a 4 week old, what would you do? The job is the same role I do now (but would give me a lot more experience), similar wages, but it is 3 miles down the road (I currently commute 1 hour 15 into Central London) obviously I can't go for it now (I keep telling myself this......) would you email and ask how soon they want someone? I am in a very close knit field community-wise and am over qualified for the role I work in (and this one) as I had children young so am doing my masters part time to qualify for the next level up which is taking a while! (Normally people work in this level of job for one year before doing the masters, I've been doing it for 4 years -but I love it-) I know without sounding big headed I am a desirable candidate never having had an issue getting a job in what is usually a very competitive field, but I know it just isnt feasible now, someone talk some sense into me, it's so typical I have been watching this particular employer for 2 years and now they have an opening!!!!

Congratulations, just saw you had your little boy!

When are you due to return to work? I would be tempted to apply, or at least enquire about it, you can't lose anything by doing so anyway!

I'd email them definitely, they might not need you straight away/they might be flexible, you don't know if you don't ask xx

A larger wage would entice me more but you would obviously save money from the commute. I don't know, its a tough one. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a month old, perhaps if my mother/sister lived near and the hours weren't too long.

Nothing to lose hun - go for it, make yourself an opportunity!

Thanks ladies, no chance of a higher wage for me until I finish this blooming qualification I'm at the top end for this level. I don't have any family here so have always been completely reliant on day care since moving here I am very happy with DS1's nursery but not sure how I feel about a baby going full time, Ds1 didn't need to start until he was 1 and we split childcare amongst family nursery and childminder. Also need to bare in mind DH is trying desperately to get us posted this year, but I think I have to email just so they know I exist lol, I wouldn't go back to work before 6 months but who knows maybe no-one appropriate will apply...I can dream lol.

So I'll start by being upfront about my bias first. I'm in the US where our maternity leave is not nearly as family friendly as other places in the world (usually six weeks, unpaid) so hearing about a six month mat leave blows my mind (in the most awesome way possible). Also, I'm extremely career driven so if an advertisement for my dream job (particularly one that took 1hr+ off of my daily commute) came across my desk I would apply in a heartbeat.

The way that I see it is if the job was advertised today, its still going to be eight weeks at minimum before the position actually starts. Plus, I'm of the mindset that if they want you bad enough they'll wait for you. I say apply and then during the interview process tell them that you won't be able to start until XX. If they don't hire you for that reason, it's their loss!

I'd definitely inquire about it and let them know that you have been watching for a job opportunity with them for 2 years, but that realistically you wouldn't be able to start yet. They may hold off for you. DH started a new job which was supposed to start in October but they held off until November for him as they were willing to wait for the right candidate.

I would email and ask, there's no harm in that. and if they say they're looking for something soon, then ask them to keep you in mind or something?

I would email them, express your interest and tell them of your circumstances, it sounds Perfect and I'm a firm believer in what is meant for you won't pass you by. Good luck!

Im actually in a similar situation! There is a 21 hr per week opportunity a 2 min walk from my house in a role ive loads of experience in. Im not planning to go back to work till DD1 is at school but every time I walk past it I fee3l a bit wistful.

Like others have said, maybe you could email and explain. Even if you cant start now, maybe by the time you can, whoever they hire now wilol be leaving (this is what I keep telling myself about the role Ive seen!)

I would ask the question if nothing else.
You'll be kicking yourself in months to come if you don't!

Good Luck xx

I would email. There may be another job going that hasn't been advertised yet that starts later or they may even hold out for you. If you don't contact them they won't know you exist.

As others have said, I would get in touch, probably go and speak to somebody if possible as that takes more effort so shows you're really keen. I wouldn't go back to work sooner than I'd planned and I'd make that clear to them so they're not given false hope, but who knows? They may have somebody great who applies who only wants a job for 6-12 months; they might have turned them down before but if they know they have you lined up it might be perfect. If you don't ask, you'll never know :)

Definitely contact them, they may keep you in mind for future posts. Even up for the interview to see what their questions and format are like so if one comes up in the future you will have a better chance. Good luck

With my oh's job by the time he had gone for the interview until he actually started the job it had been 10 weeks! If they prefer you over other candidates I think theyd wait (obviously not until your mat leave is up) but would you be willing to put him in nursery when hes like 3/4 months?

Id atleast show my interest, if you are as desirable as you say you might find that they hold out for you..whats the worst that could happen? If not they remember you if said position arises again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->