Whats in your HB kit?

Guppy051708

2 by Sea 2 by Land
Reaction score
i am preparing my homebirth kit. The MW gave me a list of items i will need to get.
I was just curious what items you all were getting and if you could specify (if possible) if thats an item your MW requires or if its an item you find comforting.

I haven't had my homebirth appointment yet... last time though I remember they asked for a bucket for the placenta and an angle poise lamp in case they need to stitch me up!

Lots of towels was high on the list. I also plan to get a new bedding set so they can change my sheets and have nice clean ones to climb into.

i need to wash up some extra sheets so i can change the old one....she put waterproof bed cover on the list as well as some cheap plastic shower curtains to protect the floors.

do you have to buy witch hazel? It's on my list. whats that for? i thought it was to help with any tearing, but wasn't positive...i also have to get oils for "down below"

towels were big on my list and the best thing was an old single duvet we were throwing out anyway i used it to wrap me and AJ up while we sat on the floor waiting on the placenta lol
disposible bed mats were really helpful too since the MW didnt show up lol i was glad i had some ,
oh and carpet cleaner ! i leaked and dripped all the way upstairs to the shower afterwards

I just ordered my 'kit' since we're having an unassisted birth I made it up myself... I did have a 'prebuilt' kit that my MW put together last time though and still have stuff left over...

This is what I ordered this time:
1 x Freezer Bag (for placenta)
5 x Underpad, 30 X 36
5 x Underpad, 23 X 36
2 x Underpad, 30 X 36, REUSABLE
1 x Birth Certificate
1 x Footprinter, Kleen-print
1 x Herbal Afterbirth Bath
1 x Lavender Flowers 1 oz.
1 x Tabless Adhesive OB Pad
1 x Sitz Bath Plastic Tub
1 x Cord Band (alternative to bulky clamp)
1 x Birth Pool in a Box
1 x Shepherd's Purse 1 oz. (for excessive bleeding after placenta delivered)
1 x Angelica (for excessive bleeding before placenta is delivered)

From my birth kit last time I still have some black trash bags leftover (blood etc in black bags is less scary than the white ones :haha:) a cord clamp (incase we need to immediately clamp the cord) lube for doppler, disinfectant, gloves (though doubt they'll get worn) maybe some other stuff; I need to dig the box out of the cupboard and check.

Fishy net for 'debris' (ie floating turds :haha:) in the pool, food safe hose for filling pool, plastic sheet for underneath/around pool...

Facecloths kept in warm water (crock pot!) for warm compresses, cheap towels, colander for placenta, bucket for puking... These are obviously extras, not really part of the 'birth kit' as such, but they're on my list, so I thought I'd throw them out there! :)

i need to wash up some extra sheets so i can change the old one....she put waterproof bed cover on the list as well as some cheap plastic shower curtains to protect the floors.

do you have to buy witch hazel? It's on my list. whats that for? i thought it was to help with any tearing, but wasn't positive...i also have to get oils for "down below"

Witch hazel is antibacterial and good for reducing swelling (constricts blood vessels) it would be for swelling down below, including hemorrhoids.

I'm planning on having some olive oil to hand too, for my perineum to help with stretching and hopefully avoiding tearing!! We're also getting some superglue for minor tears, but your MW will be prepared for that I'd imagine!

A lot of people recommend having some hydrogen peroxide on hand as well, as it removes blood stains ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->