what's your cleaning/household tips

Also, I read some random comment on a thread like this on a different site that was cheesy, but actually really resonated with me. It was, "What would the Tomorrow Me really really be grateful for the Today Me getting done?"
For me, that means that getting lunches packed/coffee maker prepped for the morning/clothes laid out the night before are now the KEY thing to having a relaxed and enjoyable day.

I like that - cheesy but true. I hate having "WHY did i not do that sooner?" Moments!

we have decided to start giving shopping a miss for a while and currently doing shopping at lidl and heron foods to save money for example a fish in butter sauce i buy is £1.35 at heron but £4 at tesco for the exact thing plus heron now does free delivery when you spend over £20 which is great for me when I don't drive just go in get everything then arrange delivery for later we have an Iceland opening in town this month as well and they do the free delivery as well so will also be shopping there as they are pretty cheap, every little helps :)

Do two things a day and then little chores that are done everyday- e.g. wiping surfaces.

Monday:
I deep clean the kitchen. Fridge is cleaned out, oven is cleaned, floor is bleached and cupboards are cleaned out. Takes about an hour
Afternoon I do the food shop

Tuesday:
I hoover everywhere and do the bathrooms. Takes about 45 minutes
Afternoon I strip and change the beds and tidy up bits in the bedroom. 45/60 mins depending on the state of my 11 year olds room

Wednesday:
Laundry day so constantly unloading and loading laundry into the washer!

Thursday:
Ironing day.

Friday:
Give the kitchen a sweep and a mop and hoover over the house. Clean the bathrooms. Takes about 90 minutes

I point blank refuse to do anymore than 90 minutes in a day and always break it up. Like for example I will half tidy the kitchen, sit down for a brew and then finish it off. I get back with the shopping and again have a brew and read the paper before unpacking it.

Don't take too much on! If it can go into the dishwasher wait until it is finished and stack it in. If you have a mixed load function on your washer- use it (no more separating- I literally stuff it all in). Only iron what you have to- school uniform, DHs work shirts and any decent formal clothes. Everyday clothes are folded out of the tumble dryer and put away.

i put toilet cleaner & bleach down the toilet 3 times a week.. just before i go to bed, so when i get up in the morning i just flush the toilet & job done. :)

i give the bath a quick wipe over & rinse after every bath so no need to scrub it.

the sink i wipe down every morning while im brushing my teeth.

in the kitchen i wipe all the sides down in the morning while the kettle is boiling & again after dinner.

the sink & draining board i wipe down after ive washed up every time.

the cooker & hob get a quick wipe after ive used them every time & the wire racks get scrubbed once a month.

the living room i use baby wipes & LO will help me :haha:

skirting boards i do with the brush bit on the hoover every day & then i'll properly clean them once a week.

i hoover everywhere every day, after dinner & after LOs had he bath. she watches an episode of charlie & lola while i do it xx

Some of you must have sparkling houses, an hour's cleaning a day!!!!

I like to just have everything super-organized and convenient. Like keeping shopping bags in the car, a spray bottle of cleaner in the shower, laundry separated, never leave a room without taking something that needs to go, clean as I cook, have the vacuum cleaner stuffed in a downstairs cupboard (rather than upstairs storage room) for ease of access, two mops and buckets to save dragging one through the whole house, that sort of thing. Oh, and pick a helpful OH is probably the best tip of all, haha.

I am another one who uses wipes, and antibacterial wipes too on skirting boars, we have laminate and it gets so dusty use them on that too.

xxxx

Some of you must have sparkling houses, an hour's cleaning a day!!!!

I like to just have everything super-organized and convenient. Like keeping shopping bags in the car, a spray bottle of cleaner in the shower, laundry separated, never leave a room without taking something that needs to go, clean as I cook, have the vacuum cleaner stuffed in a downstairs cupboard (rather than upstairs storage room) for ease of access, two mops and buckets to save dragging one through the whole house, that sort of thing. Oh, and pick a helpful OH is probably the best tip of all, haha.

The bolded comment made me think. I don't do an hour of housecleaning all at once all that often, but I bet that I do that much in a day by the time I count all the chores I have worked into the schedule.
Actually one of the things that was psychologically the hardest for me to adjust to as the parent of small children was that even when I do spend an hour on house cleaning, nobody could ever tell. My boys can unclean a house like nobody's business. Sigh. If I skip a chore for even one day, it's mass chaos. And then we're totally screwed because I can't find any of the things we need to get out of the house and get to playschool/various activiites. I found that I had to get smart about cleaning. It can't take up too much time, but it has to fit in with the day's activities and keep my head above the chaos that threatens to engulf us on a daily basis.
Another survival strategy on that: I try to combat clutter before it makes it through my door. I try not to have too much stuff to have to tidy and clean in the first place. That helps.

White vinegar.

Works on shower doors, mirrors, any hard surface that has water stains. Even my car windows. :)

Just to throw it out there.... NEVER mix vinegar and bleach, you'll create a deadly gas.
(It makes chlorine gas)

My biggest tip would be to not put stuff off. Just do it when it needs done and it's much easier to keep on top of things. Also I nicked a bottle of industrial cleaner from work and it's amazing on multi surfaces, haha.

One thing i do is use fabric conditioner watered down to clean woodwork (skirting boards etc), I also clean my radiators with it and then when they heat up it makes my house smell amazing... :flower:

One thing i do is use fabric conditioner watered down to clean woodwork (skirting boards etc), I also clean my radiators with it and then when they heat up it makes my house smell amazing... :flower:

Nice idea..think i will try that :thumbup:

My organizing tip: shoe organizers! I have them inside my tool/medicine closet and inside my living room closet for kids arts and crafts stuff and one in the office for office supplies! They are brilliant and you can see everything so easy. I also allocate one bin inthe living room for kids toys and as soon as it's filled it goes back to the room. I haven't attacked this house with my label maker yet but it will happen lol

Iron only clothes that need it, as u need them.

Make slow cooker meals for dinner as much as possible / or meals that are healthy but easy during the week when partners / husbands are usually at work and you’ve has the kids on your own all day.

Keep clothing for the whole family to a minimum = less washing although you wash more regularly but dont end up with such a large mountain of washing (you all know what im talking about)

Keep toys to a minimum, rotate and store toys to keep toddler interested. Utilise a toy library in your area if you have one.

Keep on top of cleaning main living areas and will seem less overwhelming ie :- Dishes done and clutter put away. I feel less stressed and more motivated if the house if half respectable

Have a designated day to clean other areas if possible.

Give bathroom a quick clean while watching children in the bath

De clutter de clutter! Im always looking for things we can get rid of lol, and if u bring anything new home, something old HAS to go :)

Shop weekly and menu plan. I found fortnightly shops exhausting and hard work so i find smaller shops easier. Plus you'd end up back there again for fresh fruit, milk bread etc anyway!!

Lower your standards – This has been really hard for me as im a bit OCD with cleaning but im much less stressed when I don’t try and keep everything perfect. With small children its impossible. I usually put toys away etc right on bedtime, and get her to help otherwise the chore will be repeated over and over throughout the day

and baby wipes yes. I think i keep the manufacturers in business!!

How many parts fabric softener:water do you use? Interested to try this!

My newest tip is if you need to clean your microwave, get a micro safe bowl, fill with water, add washing up liquid and run in the microwave for 1 minute. It will explode a bit but then makes any crap really easy to clean off :)

I have a routine and stick to it like glue.

For cleaning:

On a monday:
I do the kitchen. Fridge is cleaned out, oven is cleaned, windows are wiped, cupboards are wiped down. Afternoon I do the grocery shopping.

On a Tuesday:
I do hoovering and clean the bathrooms. That is the entrance hall, sitting room, play room, kitchen, bedrooms and stairs.
Wednesday I do the living room and play room. Tables are polished, furniture wiped down, magazines/papers moved out, toys are sorted through (for broken ones etc)
Thursday again is hoovering and bathrooms and second grocery shop in the afternoon.
Friday is bedrooms. All I really need to do here is change the beds and maybe a bit of polishing.
Saturday is hoovering/bathrooms.
Sunday is ironing day when i'm catching up with TV

I also having a laundry routine:

Monday is towels, bedding, bath matts etc
Tuesday is nappy day
Wednesday is light washing
Thursday is nappy day
Thursday dark washing
Friday is nappy day
Sunday is nappy day.

I just stick to the routine and nothing really gets on top of me. Obviously there are day to day chores like the dishwasher etc but nothing too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->