When and how to tell parents?

xjessibabyx

Mummy to a Princess
Reaction score
Hi ladies
Im not technically a teenager, me and OH are both 23, but I feel this section suits me better due to my circumstances and hope that you could help me. I have just found out that I am pregnant which we are happy about but I am in my first year of university studying to be a midwife and I know that my parents will be less than impressed. Me and OH live together and are financially independent but I pranked my mum on April fools day that I was pregnant and her response was horrible...asked me what i am going to do about 'it' and that i shouldnt keep it blah blah which got OH fuming soo now that I actually am pregnant I am so scared to tell her. I will try to hold off telling her probably until i have had a scan to make sure everything is ok with baby. Just wondered when and how you told your parents and how they took it? Also would really help to know when you decided to tell school/college/uni?
Thanks

Ive always just came out with it to.my parents. Theyve had their "disapointment" chat, which I dont get by the way, because Im married and also.financially.independent... ad then they get over it. Try not to take what your mom says to heart. You live on your own, so just go.home and you wont have to.listen to.it anymore!
Congrats hy the way! Im Lisa, aged at 20. Our daughter will be 3 next month, and im 35+5 with our little.boy :flower:

I told my parents straight away, they were happy :) I also told work straight away but that was only because I worked at Argos and frequently was expected to lift heavy objects (often on the top of ladders on my own in a stock room, and most of the items were way too heavy for me as it was) so I needed to put a stop to that!

I told my mum first time by text and turned my phone off. She then told everyone else, my mum was the same and kept trying to push me to terminate but she started coming around after about a month, my dad on the other hand ignored the fact I was until I was roughly 25 weeks. This time I told my mum in person and she told my dad even though I was there, I got the dissapointment talk from my mum and my dad just said it was my life, my mum has gotten over it now though I think :) Telling them in person was definitely the best way to do it, good luck! :flower: Oh and congratulations!

I agree that you should wait until you get your first scan, just so you know that everything is going ok. There is no easy way to do it, she will react how she will react. However 9 months is a long time to get used to the idea and honestly by the time bub comes, I think she will be won over with grandma love!
Try not to stress about it honey, focus on yourself, bub and OH
Best wishes in your pregnancy, love <3

I'm telling my mum either weekend coming or weekend after, I guess whenever I see her next :haha: and I'm going to take my scan picture- who could be angry when something that real is there? And I'm going to tell my dad in June when I go to visit him :)
But try not to worry, don't force anything, when you feel like it's the right time to tell them, that's when you should tell them! Good luck <3 :flower:

Thank u girls. Its made me feel a bit better. I know she will be mad at first but after some time she will get excited I think. I might wait till I have had a scan and take the pic to her...sounds like a good idea. Just booked into the gp for friday so he can refer me to the midwife to get the ball rolling eek :) excited x

Thank u girls. Its made me feel a bit better. I know she will be mad at first but after some time she will get excited I think. I might wait till I have had a scan and take the pic to her...sounds like a good idea. Just booked into the gp for friday so he can refer me to the midwife to get the ball rolling eek :) excited x

Hey Jessi I am a student midwife too! I've just found our I'm pregnant with number 2! When you tell your mum she will come round - babies bring their own love! Good luck xx

Good luck with however you choose to tell your parents, i'm sure they will support you and OH no matter what!

I'm still yet to tell my parents, I think its more daunting than actually finding out I was pregnant! :shy:

Thanks for your help... I was out with my mum alone the other day so told her then. She said shes really disappointed because the timing's wrong and thought I couldnt carry on with uni but I assured her that I will carry on and id be ok but now she has come round a lil and keeps texting me being all mothery and tellin me to be healthier and look after myself and what foods to avoid hehe bless her. She told my dad who just said 'ahh ya silly girl but as long as you're ok we will be there for you'. babypumpkin when did u tell uni? Im on placement now so told my mentor on the quiet but not sure when to tell uni. And were they ok with it?

I haven't told Uni yet I just found out yesterday I am only four weeks. I will tell Uni soon though so they can get my bursary sorted for when I'm on maternity leave. One of the girls in my class had a baby last year and they were done were fine with her! Glad your mum is happy - things always have a way of working out! I'm sure Uni will be fine with you, at the end of the day it's your decision to have a baby not theirs xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->