When are they TOO old for a buggy?

Lol, no, although with my luck (of being dyslexic) I am surprised I did not type it wrong.

I'd say 2-3 depending on the size of the child and their ability to walk well.

I would say that 4 is starting to get a bit too old. From 2.5 to 3 my son was walking for miles and miles each day, but now at 3.5 he tires easily and often needs to be carried when we are out for a long walk. We don't have a car so we walk everywhere, we don't use the pushchair anymore because we mostly babywear, but if we didn't then he would still need the pushchair occasionally. It amuses me when people (not here) think that they are too old for a pushchair at 2, clearly they have no idea! :D

Four is pushing it...five is too old. I had a sit/stand with Makena, and Jasper would sit and stand on long walks...but mostly he would walked. That was when he was 4. Neither of my kids were in a stroller past the age of 4.

I think it depends how far you walk lol. I walk at LEAST 4 miles a day on a week day and can often be more, its mainly hills too! I dont think many people would manage that at 2/3 yrs old.

I saw a kid in a school uniform in a pushchair today, made me think of this thread :haha:

I think 2-3. Its depends on long walks/trips or small walks/trips to wheather the child wil walk or not. I will not push my son to walk all the time, but will encourgae but if he gets tired and wants to be in the pushchair of course I wont be one of these mums that say no to him

Whenever you and LO feel ready :shrug:

We were on holiday last week and Thomas (26 months) sometimes got fed up of being in the pushchair and wanted to walk so he got out and walked ... however sometimes Caitlin (4 1/2) would climb in it ... not because she needed to just coz she wanted too :shrug: she'd be in it for about 5 minutes then get out and walk. I don't see the harm in it x

I think some are to quick to judge. I can think of worse parenting. :nope:

My son started school at 4yrs 3weeks, it is over a mile each way, plus he has autism and hip problems. We did not at that time have funding for a SN pushchair and he was small enough to fit in the maclaren, so I would take him in it sometimes, in his uniform. :shrug:

Probably around 2-3. This is assuming you aren't doing a load of walking. If you're visiting the zoo or an amusement park or some all day activity, or walking miles regularly, by all means, let your little one have a break, but for general daily use 2-3ish, when they can walk fine themselves. I've seen kids here that were clearly over 5 (probably about 7) strapped into chairs (feet dragging and tripping the chair up and all) at the mall and I just :dohh:

in my own head, i wouldn't want to see a child older than 4 in a pushchair. I also wouldn't want to see someone of school age being babyworn either. If they are able to walk, they should be given the opportunity to walk & encouraged to do so where it is safe & be taught good road manners (like staying close to parent, not running off, keeping them on the inside of the path, not next to the road etc). I see sooooo many kids around here in school uniform still in pushchairs and there just seems something a bit weird in that. :shrug: My nephew is almost 3 and walks everywhere & absolutely hates ebing in his pushchair, but some of my friends have almost 4 year olds who get tired out quickly & beg to be in their younger siblings buggies... In cases like that, there are 'sit & stands' and buggy boards you can attach to a pushchair for when they get tired i guess? I dunno. Each to their own at the end of the day...

imo i think they shouldnt be over 4. by that age they are starting reception etc so there shouldnt really be a need for it, unless you've got a stupidly long walk

My lo is perfectly capable now of walking pretty much anywhere (within reason) without the need for a buggy, and i have to admit i only use it now still when i want to have a relaxed trip- like if i know i want to stand around in a clothes shop for ten mins! i wont even bother letting him walk because he cannot behave himself and turns the entire trip into a nightmare! and more often then not i just end up going home upset because he made a show! but imho a 4 year old shouldn't be behaving like this and could go without the buggy- but then again what do i know i don't have a 4 year old ?! x

Probably 4, but if we were going to be out somewhere for awhile I would bring an umbrella stroller along just in case she got tired.

hmm I'm not sure. Hannah is almost 3 (two months off) and we still use a stroller for longer walks. She also has a wagon and bike that we use to go to parks that are a bit farther out. She can and usually does walk at least half the time but she eventually gets tired and wants to sit down (or be carried and I'd much rather push her than carry her :rofl:).

I'd probably say 4, but we'll see when we get there!

Im hoping Jake will be up and walking most places by 2 and a half, ready to say bye bye to the pushchair at 3! x

i think it depends on the child and the circumstances, i know a woman who has a 5year old and takes him the 5minute walk from home to school in a buggy and he doesn't have any disabilities
i would about 4 i would think most children (not those with disabilities) shouldnt need their buggy for day to day things like going to school or the shops unless it is a stupidly long distance

I say 1 day, because I love wearing them instead :rofl:

But in all seriousness, I don't think it's a big deal and I think when the child is ready. I've never heard of someone unable to walk at 10 years old because their mother used a stroller too long.

Sure, it may look weird, but people think that of most "extended" uses (ie. breastfeeding, babywearing, pacifiers) and IMO, mom/baby issue only.

i wouldnt deem them too old til they are about 4!!with my daughter i only used it if i knew i would be somewhere for an extended period and she might get tired(as 1,2 and 3 year olds do!) but now that i have my second lo and he is always in his pram she wants to be in it too so i have a double pram which she can go in if she wants..its great if im in a hurry and dont want to stop at every toy shop/ride/pet shop she sees and have an argument and i think its fine as long as she still gets to run around at a park and would other places!
as a parent you do what works for YOU and not what other people think is "right" as every child and every parent is different!
also i certainly dont think a one year old just walking child should not use a pram!!he is still a baby =(

i think it depends on the child and the circumstances, i know a woman who has a 5year old and takes him the 5minute walk from home to school in a buggy and he doesn't have any disabilities
i would about 4 i would think most children (not those with disabilities) shouldnt need their buggy for day to day things like going to school or the shops unless it is a stupidly long distance

:shrug: pushing a five year old to SCHOOL in a buggy!that is going a bit too far i think!i agree i think by four they are big enough and old enough to be out of the buggy and old enough to follow directions..with a 2-3 year old you still have that defiance they like to give :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->