When can you safely ttc after a c-section

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I'm 5 and a half weeks post c section and want a small age gap (mainly due to me not wanting to ttc beyond age 30 due to history of losses - but also for career reasons)

My scar has healed really well, I have been fully mobile and I'm feeling well in myself. We tried to dtd last week but we felt uncomfortable with it, but we managed this morning using the withdrawal method (no comments - we know that pregnancy is possible but we have used withdrawal successfully for years) - I'm looking to avoid contraception as I want to ttc soonish.

Anyway, would it be safe for us to ttc at 11 months pp? Getting my BFP from September - January works best for me work wise and that way we will be able to fit in 2 more babies before we are 30. I'm worried about uterine rupture or any risks as I want a repeat section.

I'm also looking to have a relatively small age gap due to age (I'm now 32 and want to be done having babies by 35 max) and the fact that we'll need IVF again, which can obviously take a while.

I had an appointment with my consultant a month or so ago where I explained all of this and he told me I needed to wait 18 months, which would leave around 2 years between actual births. He did strongly advise that we take precautions but due to the fact that it took us 4+ years, 2 rounds of IVF, and a miscarriage to conceive our son, I've chosen not to go back on the pill.

18 months?!? Oh dear!
If ghats the case I would need to wait until the two year mark to start trying, which sucks.

Mind you, the lady in the bed next to me had two sections 15 months apart and she was fine. I really wish I didn't end up with a section because then I wouldn't be in this position!

I know what you mean but as it turns out for me, it's good that I did end up with a section first time round as I could've ended up in a lot of trouble if I'd given birth naturally.

My consultant did say that the risk of a rapture is low but because there is that risk, they have to advise you to wait. I guess it's better for them to err on the side of caution.

I was always told that 9-12 months wait would be fine.

My c section was only because I was induced and I ended up over contracting which caused her heart to dip but her apgar scores were 9/9 so really I could have been left but I guess they need to err on the side of caution.

That is interesting minties I wonder why the differing info!

I've been told 18 months by my old ob, didnt agree with it though as all my friends were being told 6 months by their ob, switched ob's and was told 6-12 months. Two of my friends got pregnant 6 months pp after c-section and both carried fine. I got pregnant 10 months after c-section and miscarried, got pregnant 14 months post c-section with this one, all is well and dr said I'm an excellent candidate for vbac!!

I think it was/is 18 months between births, not between the end of one pregnancy and the start of the next. This is what my midwife said.

Ah that makes more sense. I think I will mention to my GP at my 6 week check next week. I started taking the mini pill today.

I had c section april..and have already started trying this month..it took over year to conceive my first..I m turning 35 net year so want to be preggo before than...my ob said 12 mths as well...my baby is 8mos now. ..
I didn't even get my first period yet...but we will just randomly dtd and try to enjoy ttc and maybe get a surprise bfp..I ll get more serious about timing once I get my first period...mind u when we timed past 1 year, nothing worked..I gave up and got a surprise bfp...

Both my consultant and GP told me 18 months between pregnancies so it obviously depends on who you ask. Ultimately, it's your body so do whatever you feel comfortable with. As I said, I've been advised to wait 18 months but decided against going on the pill due to how long it took us to conceive our son.

Hmm...I haven't asked my OB, since I don't have any immediate plans to ttc #2, but I've heard deliveries need to be about 2 years apart or longer after a c-section, be it a repeat c-section or VBAC. That would mean getting pregnant to #2 around 15 months or later after your first delivery. Even with vaginal deliveries though, I've heard the 9/18 month rule of thumb as the ideal minimum gap (getting pregnant again at least 9 months post partum/having new baby at least 18 months post partum).

I spoke to my own GP the other day who advised me that as soon as I feel ready to ttc then I will be okay physically, she encouraged me to start exercising again now to help with healing and strengthening and suggested 18 months between deliveries as a minimum. I feel okay with that.

I had a c section 3 weeks ago and in theatre, the surgeon said 12 months before ttc and this was the same advice given by the consultant whilst in hospital.

The girl in the bed beside me was 29, in having her fifth baby, second c section, and her wee one was only 14 months old!

I will be having my second section 16onths after the first. I was told this is fine. You can even have a section less than one year apart xxx

It seems there are vastly differing opinions on this. I was told to wait 6 months before ttc

I wasn't advised anything but fell pregnant unplanned nine months after my first c section so I had 18 months between births. When I was pregnant the second time they told me that if it had been less than 18 months they wouldn't have let me attempt VBAC.

Usually you will want to wait 9-12 months before conceiving again to avoid a rupture. That being said I know many moms that have gotten pregnant 4-5 months PP, and they just had to be monitored a little more closely.
Personally, I waited 14-16 months before getting pregnant again. This is my 4th baby and will be having my 3rd section. But that's just a personal choice. You do what is best for you.
The withdrawal method is what my husband and I have done in the past, but let me just warn you, that after having a baby..you are CRAZY fertile!!!! So that method(if you're already doing this) may not work at all right now. Again personal choice.
But because you literally just had your baby, your body and hormones are ready to go. So if you want to wait a few more months to conceive again, I would at least use condoms. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->