When did illness improve?

laura109

Reaction score
Hi all my little girl started nursery in May. I was aware she would end up catching germs and viruses, not to the extent she has though. She has a cold every two weeks. It makes her unsettled and poorly for a day or two, then she seems to have a cough that lingers in the night and never goes away. Her chest and nose forever sound unhealthy. In fact I've not seen her 100% for months. About six weeks ago she had a stomach bug that strangely her baby brother and we didn't catch. She vomited all night and it took her a week to eat again without being sick. Now she has another cough and cold. We are on day six and she's still full of it. This time she also has tonsilitis and is on antibiotics. The nursery said she can go in after 24 hours with antibiotics but I've kept her home for the week. I don't think she is well enough to run about she is sleeping a bit in the day at the moment so I know she's poorly. I don't think sending her in coughing and sneezing everywhere is a good idea, but it has opened my eyes up to why they catch so much if they have the kids there totally run down on antibiotics. Anyways surely this can't go on forever. When did you notice an improvement in your child's immunity. It can't be good being run down and sick all the time?

My DD was like this for a while and came down with something every few months. It seemed to get less and less and she has been much better this year. My DS doesn't go to school yet but he seems to constantly catch everything!

Soon as they start nursery / reception the illnesses never seem to stop and I feel sorry for our poor little ones!

There’s no way in stopping it which is frustrating as it spreads like wildfire. I suppose it just letting their immune system build up and keep giving vitamins to boost it . It does generally settle down after a few months . DD2 is starting nursery in 2 weeks and I am dreading it , she gets a cold it goes straight to her chest and we end up with croup/chest infections.

Hope she feels better soon.

My son started at daycare at 16 weeks. He was sick all the time. Caught croup more than a handful of times, pink eye twice, had HFMD, and even ended up in the hospital for a week with pneumonia after getting hit with two strong cold viruses at once. I missed days upon days of work as did my mom. There were times that we didn’t catch a break because as soon as he started recovering from one cold then he’d catch the next one.

I pulled him out for summer because I have summers off, he did not get sick once. (11-12 months)

He went back at 13 months. He got sick every other week, which conveniently aligned with my mom’s week on and week off schedule. But his fever’s were never bad and short lived. He’s had croup a couple times, but so mild. He only needed the steroid once. He hasn’t been sick in a month though.

They did tell me in the hospital that once he recovered from his pneumonia that I would notice a marked difference the next cold season because his body has already battled the two worst colds in kids.

Hope your DD feels better soon! That first year is hard!! But it can happen now or happen when she starts school.

Mine had this so badly that she was basically ill for 4 months, culminating in her being so hideously run down that she started having hallucinations and forgot the words for things/how to speak properly for a good two weeks. I thought she had a fucking brain tumour and had her referred to a paediatric emergency unit, it was that bad. After that, though, she stopped getting ill so much and got some respite and is perfectly fine again. So yeah, about 4 months. It's awful, I know. Especially since they get so run down by it they can't fight anything off.

I wrote a very similar post at the time - https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/t...-nursery-illness-last-for-your-child.2464473/ - and some mums with children who've been at nursery longer than yours said theirs are still suffering so it's definitely normal even though it sucks!

We have now had stomach bugs too, as well as colds. The baby has had two and my 4 year old had her first a week ago.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. She went back to nursery for a morning yesterday and has brought another stomach bug home. I'm upstairs with the baby and dads downstairs with her. I fear we are all doomed this time. It's starting to get us down now. I'm not going to be able to relax again now for a few days worrying about us catching it. My poor little girl. I am worried it's all too much for her little body. Such a shame as she loves nursery and it's such a positive experience for her. This is just one huge stressful negative to it. Thanks for your replies. One very anxious mum xx

Just keep her hydrated as best you can. I literally always kept bottles (yes plural) of Pedialyte on hand and Tylenol upstairs, downstairs, at grandma’s, in the diaper bag. Hang in there! It is cold/flu season, so it will get better.

When my son started first prep he was ill every other week for almost 6 months. Since then he has only been sick once. His immune systems great now so hang in there! :)

Mine are not in nursery full time, but they have always gone to a one day a week class. They also went through the constant illness phase, despite not being in full time nursery. It gets better around 3-4 years.

Last year was the year for ODS, he was 4. It was like a miracle, his little sister was getting frequently sick and he had one cold all year. The previous year they'd both been sick at the same time the same rate. It was amazing. This year, DD (now 3.5) has hardly been sick. Like, a serious miracle, YDS (16 months) hasn't been sick much either. Maybe because the older two are not getting sick as much. Anyway, I didn't see a marked difference until 3+ years.

I also started giving them probiotics this year, I'm not sure if it has an effect. But they are 2+ years only.

My DD has been at nursery since she was a little baby and has had so many different illnesses that it felt never ending at one point- she spent her first Christmas really poorly but now her immune system is really good :thumbup: she still gets poorly but nowhere near as much as when she was little and she’s there 5 days a week.

I work in a nursery and my immune system has got noticeably better as well- I’m hoping because my DD is at nursery that first lot of illness when they go go school might be avoided.

My girl was ill a lot during that first year of nursery, literally never had a dry nose. However she has been at school for 3 years now and hasn’t caught a single tummy bug, or flu and only mildly suffers colds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->