• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

When did you change from formula milk to cows milk?

purpledaisy2

Mummy to a gorgeous boy
Reaction score
And how are you meant to do it? Gradually replace LO's bottles 1 by 1?

LO is 18 months old now, and still has 3/4 9oz bottles of cow & gate formula.

I think I should have made the change by now? But hes still got great eating big meals so i've left him on it.

Any help appreicated :flower:

xx

Not sure how you are supposed to do it, but Sophie has been on just 2 bottles a day for a while (morning and night) and I changed her morning one to cows milk, but still making her a formula at night. She is almost 14 months x

I recently swapped Brooke's milk from Cow & Gate to Cow's milk. She has a morning and a night bottle & I just started to use Cow's milk straight away as soon as the tub of milk ran out. I was concerned she would refuse it as formula is so much sweeter but she hasn't even noticed. I'm sure I read some good tips on a few threads about how to gradually introduce it.

I was concerned about the lack of vitamins in the cows milk as they are added in the formula, but they say if your LO has a good balanced diet they will get there vitamins & minerals from their meals. Just incase though I put a drop of multivitamins in her morning bottle for peace of mind.

Hope it goes well :)

I changed Poppy at 11 months as we moved from the UK to Canada and I didn't want to mess around putting her on a new formula. We just finished the tin of Cow and Gate and went straight onto whole milk. Poppy had reflux on formula but stopped throwing up completely on whole cows milk :thumbup: she drinks it cold straight from the fridge and loves it :happydance: I also took her off baby bottles at the same time and she has a beaker during the day and a soft spout cup on a bedtime. HTH xx

10 months. She just stopped taking formula. So I put whole milk in her bottle and she'll empty completely 3-4 9 oz bottles. But she's also on 3 meals a day of table food just cut up plus her snacks.

I did it last week so 12 months

I just thought I would try it and he didnt notice lol, so now he has cows milk in the morning but formula at night till we finish the tin

I was on the last tub around 11.5 months and decided I was not going to buy any more formula so used the last of the formula to do half-and-half with bottles til the tub ran out, so half-and-half for a few days then completely switched.

If your LO eats well balanced meals then you should be able to just switch now.

Also, cows milk costs around a third of the price of formula so the quicker the better!!!

.......another thing....I read that we should limit toddlers milk drink to around 13oz max a day to allow a good appetite for food?:flower:

Cows milk seem to upset my Los tummy. But only when he drank it, is fine in cooking etc.
I started to swap him over a couple of months ago. Gradually reducing the amount of formula ounces and making the rest of the bottle up with cows milk. So for instance and 8oz bottle would of been made up with 7oz formula and 1oz cows milk then I reduced the formula every couple of days.
But now were back on to full formula. Going to try again soon :)

12 months, started with half and half for a week then went to just cows milk and he was fine. As other have said, your LO will get all they need from food so cows milk is fine as a drink but if you are worried you can give vitamin and mineral drops too. All toddler milk is is fortified milk with added flavorings and sweeteners, you might as well save a bit and use cows milk and a vitamin supplement. Is much cheaper and a lot less sweet for LO.

Mine still takes one cup of toddler formula each day -- at two years old!

For the rest of the day, we went to almond milk rather than cow's milk. It's a little unusual, but it's full of calcium and protein, and some people think it actually might be better for them than cow's milk. Who knows. :flower:

We swapped over about 2 weeks ago (16mths)..I went out for the day and OH later informed me we had run out of SMA so hed given him cows milk..he was fine on it and slept the same/no probs..so we have just continued to give it. He has 5oz in a cup in the morning and 9oz in a bottle for bed..we dont give vitamins either.

We introduced cow milk as a drink at 11.5 months by mixing it with his formula. He drinks cow milk during the day (1-2 feeds) & toddlers milk (7 oz) at bedtime. When he's off food I offer him toddlers milk only for the extra vits. We still have toddler milk that would last for another 2 months. Once we'r out of formula, I'm planning to give him cow milk only.

Thanks for the replies.

I tried him on it yesterday during the day and seemed to like it :thumbup:

He was just really confused and looking at his beaker after every drink, as if to say why is milk coming out of there mummy :rofl:

He's still a very poor eater so i'll keep him on formula morning and night. Will just give him cow juice during the day :)

1year :) weaned her in the last two weeks before and few weeks after her 1st birthday, never gone back to formula, although for the first few months she had some ready made formula feeds from the shop, the 1+ stage xx

We ran out of the last tub of formula when she was 1yr and 1 day old and so just decided to give her cows milk from then on. However, she does have a good apetite and eats most foods.

:flower:

I switched on the day of her birthday. I gave her a bottle of milk, she sucked it down like it's the best thing on earth - I think I completely transitioned her in three days or so. Never looked back! She had all kinds of issues with formula when I moved her at around 6-7 months, we ended up on soy formula which is even worse than regular. So I was worried that she might have some issues with cow milk as well - never happened, she completely loves her cow milk.

we switched at 10.5months....he was just refusing formula....takes it much better than he ever did with formula =) xxx

I`ll be switching at 12 months, when we come back off holiday :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"