When did you replace a bottle for food and how much?

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by tu123, Mar 29, 2011.

1. tu123

tu123 Well-Known Member

Hey there
    My LO has been having carrot and pear puree for there weeks and now enjoying a bit of parsnip, sweet potato and apple. She eats it all -hardly any gets spit out and she gets very excited when the spoon comes out:winkwink: Also pooping better:winkwink:

I think she could eat quite a bit if i let her as she allways needs to top up with milk. I use the large Annabel karmel ice cube trays for the food and she will happily eat two to three cubes. I give her food twice a day-fruit in the morning and veggies in the afternoon.

She is 5mths and a week old and drinks approx 35oz at the moment. Can i replace a milk feed with a large food feed?

Its great for her reflux so i am keen to do it.

Any advice on when to do it and problems to look out for would be much appreciated:flower:

2. OmarsMum

OmarsMum Well-Known Member

Hi hun, she shouldnt start dropping her milk feeds before 6+ months when she's on 3 proper meals.

Milk has more calories & nutrition, & she needs it more than stage one weaning food at this age.

Once she's 6+ months & you start introducing more varieties like protien, grains & other food groups, it should be fine to drop milk feeds. At 6+ months the min is 18-21 oz with 3 proper solid meals. xx

3. WhiteGeisha

WhiteGeisha Well-Known Member

I have been wondering this. Not necessarily dropping the feeds but how much is classed as a "proper meal". I really don't have a clue! When do I know she is full - I know people will say she will stop eating but the other day she had a whole bottle and a whole jar of stage 1 dessert (she didn't like the main, so I just jumped to dessert as I was going out and running late!). I don't think she would eat a whole jar of savoury right now.....

I am soooo confused.