When did you stop sterilising bottles?

Connah'sMommy

Reaction score
When did you stop sterilising bottles?

I know there are a few threads about this but i thought this might help me decide what to do:shrug:

My HV said it ok to stop at 6months but im unsure.

Im worried my baby may get ill if i do:shrug:x

A lot of people say that you can stop at 6 months. At that point, they're being weaned and food isn't exactly 'sterile'. Plus they're putting all sorts of other unsterile things into their mouths then. I think I stopped at about 7ish months.

they do say around 12 months, we stopped before because she stopped having bottles so i wasnt going to keep it out just for dummies as i have never sterlized spoons or cups

if she had of continued to have bottles i would have remained sterlizing!

Lou
xxx

Milk bottles - I really would continue sterilising them to a year, or however long they use them. It's because milk is an ideal breeding ground for all kinds of nasty bacteria, not because everything that goes into a baby's mouth has to be sterile, because it obviously doesn't, past 6m. I would much rather know that Ruby's bottles are sterile than worry about my washing up not being adequate / dish brush not being very clean etc etc. I don't sterilise anything else for her except dummies. IMO sterilising is hardly time consuming anyway.

I always sterilised the Milk bottles untill she stopped having a bottle but cups,bowls etc then I stopped at 6mths.Will do the same this time too.xx

I stopped sterilising everything else at 6 months or before, but I still do bottles. It just feels cleaner, and cos they have milk in them it just seems to make sense to me.

I can't vote as I have never sterilized. This answer is not in the poll. Here in the US it is not mandatory to sterilize.

Milk bottles - I really would continue sterilising them to a year, or however long they use them. It's because milk is an ideal breeding ground for all kinds of nasty bacteria, not because everything that goes into a baby's mouth has to be sterile, because it obviously doesn't, past 6m. I would much rather know that Ruby's bottles are sterile than worry about my washing up not being adequate / dish brush not being very clean etc etc. I don't sterilise anything else for her except dummies. IMO sterilising is hardly time consuming anyway.

Same here..
I'd rather be 'overly cautious' when it comes to her milk bottles than not worry and her end up getting ill.

I sterilized until a few weeks after her 1st birthday as that was what i always thought was correct, however , i saw my HV soon after for the MMR and she said i could have stopped at 10 months :dohh:

i stopped at 8 month ish lilly was on food and i didnt sterlise her plates and bowls so i didmt see the point any more she was fine 100%

I stopped doing bowls, spoons and sippys at 10ish months and stopped bottles at 12ish months.

I still steralise everything, bottles, spoons, bowels etc force of habit steraliser right next to sink so always just stick the lot in will prob keep going til 12 months for no other reason than habit. x

I don't really sterilise TBH, I don't use bottles but his dummys I just give them a good scrub with hot soapy water, I voted before 6months as when OH was giving him a bottle of EBM we did sterilise, but he's not had one of those since about 4mo

I can't vote as I have never sterilized. This answer is not in the poll. Here in the US it is not mandatory to sterilize.

Ditto. I use my dishwasher and it has a REALLY hot drying cycle.

I didnt think it would be so varied tbh,but i can remember when my little sister was still taking bottles( only 2 years ago )it was reccomended that you sterilise until LO is a year old but now my HV said 6 months. So im really unsure,part of me wants to sterilise til 1 year but part of me thinks it could be ok to stop at 6 months...
And im sure for those who have stopped at 6 months their LO's have been fine but there is always a chance LO could get ill right? or is this unlikely?

I sterlize his milk bottles and my pump parts and probably will continue to do so until I no longer use them.

I don't bother with anything else.

And I don't sterilize JUST before using -- I sterlize after I wash them and then put them in the cabinent. They might sit there for a few weeks before I use them again, but I don't rewash or sterilize them.

I also used my dishwasher on the "sterilize" cycle, but found they didn't rinse well enough for my liking. But would have liked to continue doing it that way if they had.

to be honest may sound bad but i think some bugs are good for our kids it helps them with there ammune system i dont see the problem in stopping before 1.... and the us is way infront of us with research and its not a must do there so i do see it as harmful hope you make the choice right for you and lo hun xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->