When did you wean your baby?

ricschick

Proud mummy of 6!
Reaction score
Joanie is 3 months old and is on 7oz of hungrier milk (ff) 5 x a day and even tho at the mo she is content I'm just wondering when to wean her as she's finishing every bottle. When did you wean yours? X

First girl = 17 weeks, Second girl = 6 months. Both very different babies and both weaning ages were just right for them.

I waited until 6 months, he was taking 5 x 6oz of 1st stage milk so i didn't feel he needed food earlier, plus the advantage (to me anyway!) of waiting until 6 months meant i didn't have to sterilise his spoons and bowls!

6 months here, I have a very hungry 98th centile weight 99.6th centile height baby and he was fine with just breastfeeding up until then, he did feed A LOT but that wasn't really a problem for me.

Read up on the signs of readiness (if you haven't), some signs (watching you eat for example) are often said to be signs but aren't really, the tongue reflex and being able to sit upright (with assistance for stability is fine) are the main ones I believe x

I waited until 24 weeks, we've BLW so had to wait until then anyway. If she's finishing the bottle and is content then I would just carry on as you are, if/when she seems to want more than personally I would just up the bottle by an ounce. :)

DS was 8 months when he started showing an interest in food, was EBF until then.

DD is 5.5 months and we are starting to offer food now. Her GP and HV are happy for us to do this. She is obviously keen and shoves the spoon full of food in her mouth on her own. :thumbup:

6m, but he was not interested until 7m (very chubby baby too if it makes any difference)

If they are hungry, milk has the most calories for food you can offer under 6m.

Thanks guys I agree it's easier in some ways to wait til 6m and u definately will wait as long as possible!!

My son was 17 weeks, my dd is 13 weeks now and for me I won't be able to use being able to sit unaided as a sign as she's blieve it or not sitting up already, she's in a pavlik harness though so that gives her a lot of stability and when she's put of it I havec feeling she won't be able to sit up and may even be delayed due to being able to rely on the harness helping out a lot.

I think we all need to remember that our instincts are usually right no one knows our babies like us, trust yourself, if your unsure there's plenty of support out there from GP, HV ect. Good luck

I would recommend waiting until at least 17 weeks though x

6 months for both boys, both very different boys with different appetites, one was 91st centile 20lb draining me the other 50th centile but not overly interested in milk (which made me think he wanted solids, not that it made me wean early) but end of the day I stick to the science nothing I've read has convinced me weaning beforehand was appropriate, as others have said it felt even more important that my hungriest child had milk, if he was hungry he was obviously needing the nutrients so milk was what he needed. I was BF at that age but I would increase the amount of stage 1 milk rather than introduce hungry baby milk, it's terrible how they promote and label hungry milk but it's pretty self defeating :flower:

DS started getting little tastes at 5 months, literally just a spoonful of puree. He had all of the signs of being ready to wean at that point.

6 months and we did baby-led weaning. It's not really what you asked about, but if she's finishing every bottle, you might consider offering her more bottles now rather than thinking about weaning. At 3 months, my daughter (who was small - 25th centile at birth) was having 8 bottle a day. She didn't drop down to only 5 bottles until 9 months. They really do need to eat lots and often, so if she's finishing all her bottles, I'd squeeze in a few more bottles now while you don't have to worry about solids. Unless she's truly obese and there is a real concern about her weight (usually due to genetic conditions or other congenital issues), there's no reason to worry you might be overfeeding her if she's happy to take it. They need to eat often throughout the day and night at that age. Our HV advice was that we should offer her enough milk so that she left some unfinished about half the time and drained the bottle the other half of the time, in which case, I'd try 8-9 oz per bottle or preferably add in an extra bottle or so during the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->