When do midwives do a home visit? (UK ladies)

hanni

Reaction score
A few people have mentioned to me that your midwife usually does a home visit before baby is born to check your living conditions.
Is this true? If so when do they usually do it? I've had no mention of it yet and there's nothing in my notes about it.

Thank you in advance for any replies! :)

I've never had one before birth. My midwife came on day 1 post discharge from hospital with my son on a home visit and I assume the same will happen again

ive never had that hun. I know in some places they will do it or the health visitor will.

my midwife will be out the day after im discharged from hospital and then up till baby is 10 days old as long as things are going ok :) xx

with my first she visited my home to do a birth plan about 36 weeks, then did 2 sweeps at home after my due date.

I'm a little luckier with this one, every visit I've had has been a home visit :D

With my dd I had a home visit once overdue. I was in labour though when she was booked in to visit to do a sweep so she just came to see how labour was going as I didn't cancel and she said she'd come anyway.

This one i've been going to drs surgery each time. However midwife may be coming on Sunday to do a sweep (40+8)

I've had a Hv come round already as apparently now it's common for them to introduce themselves ahead of handover to Hv team after baby is born.

For dd I had MW at my house every day for 2 weeks as I was struggling with getting feeding established and s h e came round daily to help. On one day she came round twice. She was fab.

My health visitor came out a month before baby was due last time and I've just got the letter for this time. Last time it was a quick chat and she gave me the baby's red book. She didn't check the house. She only saw the living room. Nothing to worry about if HV does visit.

I have never heard of anybody coming to do a house check. I think if a midwife was to come before baby is here it would be for a general appointment, not to check up on you. Even after DD was born and the midwife came she was only ever in my living room, she never even asked about other rooms.

Thank you ladies!
I have no concerns about her coming, I was just curious.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see what mine decides to do :)

The midwife will only do a home visit if you‘re planning a home birth - to check access and stuff. The health visitor generally comes out now when you‘re about 36 weeks to introduce themselves and inform you of local services.

They don't do that! Unless you have plans for them to come over (like for a sweep or if your planning a home birth) ... My midwife comes over pretty much a day or so after I return home from the hospital to check on both of us .. And a Heath visitor comes over at some point too :) just to see how baby is doing and let you know about all their things/sessions they have to offer local to you :)

its not a house check, its to check on you & baby hun .. so dont worry about that.
its usually for a week or two, then your files are handed over to the HV serivce xo

I had a home midwife appointment at 28 weeks just as routine in our NHS trust. It was an antenatal check as normal.

Then I had another one at 36 weeks, I was planning a home birth and they brought the kit at this appointment too.

I would have had another one at home at 41 weeks but I was in hospital.

where i live it is routine that a health visitor comes out to visit around 36 weeks, it's not to check living conditions although obviously if they have concerns they will report it) but it's to go over any concerns you have about labour, delivery and aftercare. In your green notes there should be a slip that the midwife takes and submits on your behalf to the health visitor team - mine was submitted early (due to twins) but i've not heard from them yet but i am only 32 weeks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->