When do they check cervix for ic?

Hoping4peanut

Reaction score
Have your healthcare providers checked your cervix yet? No one has checked mine and I have heard incompetent cervix can be dangerous.

Only time my cervix has been checked was for a sweep and in labour. My understanding is that an incompetent cervix is only picked up after a problem is detected.

My cervix was only checked from 37 weeks on for dilation. Only time it's check here for ic is after there is a problem. They do measure it in ultrasounds but typically don't tell us that's what they are looking at.

Hi. My IC was discovered during my last pregnancy, unfortunately by the time they discovered it, it was too late and I had my baby boy at 21 weeks. I don't say this to scare you, but as my doctors have pointed out to me, that is usually how they discover you have an incompetent cervix as it is very uncommon and hard to detect. However, I have heard of some people having it discovered when they went in for a check up.

I hate to say not to worry about it, as it can happen to anyone, but unless you have had prior things done with your cervix, your chance of having it is very minimal.

If you are worried about it, just make sure to know your body. Recognize any weird cramping or feel pressure down there. Most of the time problems with an incompetent cervix arise between weeks 16 and 24.

I bet you are just fine, though. :thumbup:

In my last pregnancy (2010) the hospital checked cervix length at the 20w scan. It was optional though, I guess not everyone fancied an internal. Don't think it's common practise here in the UK though x

My cervix was checked in this pregnancy from 12 weeks and then fortnightly from then. I was only being monitored due to a previous loss at 22 weeks.

As the pp has stated in majority of cases IC is not diagnosed until you have sufferred a second trimester loss or it just happens to be picked up. Even then consultants are reluctant to diagnose it and prefer the 'wait and see' method; as has been the case with me in this pregnancy.

Cervix scans are not routinely done in the UK however an IC is still relatively rare and only occur in about 2-3% of cases.

Have you had any procedures or treatments conducted on cervix? If so then let your midwife know at your booking in appointment and she should refer you to a prem prevention consultant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->