When do you find time to pump? (if you do).

MiSS.M0MMY2BE

Reaction score
I've never posted in this section before but my names erin. I'm 19 and my little girl, kaleigh, will be three months on saturday. So obviously I'm breastfeeding buuut I have a pump which I have used a handful of times. The problem (if that's what you want to call it) is that my daughter does not like to be put down. So really the only time I can pump is after she goes to bed at night. And I eventually will have to get a job, and formula is not an option for me. So when do you find time to pump? &also, how can I get her to take a bottle? The few times I've tried she simply is not interested. Her pediatrician told me that I shouldn't be the one to try it. I love bfing but some things are so complicated to me! Lol.

Sorry I do not have advice, but I would love to see how other people manage to pump too. I cannot find the time to do it! I have my sister and husband give my baby the bottle and he does great. I doubt he would take it from me.

I pump only 3oz a day in the mornings as soon as my little boy has had a little feed. Then either I sit him in his chair and talk
to him/rock him with my foot or my husband holds him x

Also my second would never have a bottle just me until he was 2&1/2! My first and this one both have a soother and fort was fine with bottle and the couple of times I've tried with this lo he seems fine. Think its because he is used to his soother as second never had one and couldn't work bottles out!! X

I gave LO to oh in order to pump. I had to have a quiet, peaceful relaxing setting in order to pump. It was all for nothing though, lol. I had a freezer full of tons milk but dd would never take a bottle (she hated pacifiers too). If your lo is similar, you can try using a cup instead of a bottle. :)

Thanks for the replies. Yeah my little girl won't take a pacifier either. And I'm usually almost always with her by myself. My oh works a lot. I have a few oz frozen. I guess I should try with the bottle some more before I continue freezing cause it'll be kinda pointless and wasteful if she won't take a bottle. And most of the times my mom or bil tried her with the bottle, usually not me. Do you mean a cup once she's a bit bigger?

Hi! I pump twice a day normally. First right before lo wakes up in the morning. Then right after he goes to bed at night. My oh works a lot too so I can sympathize with you there.

My son was exclusively bottle fed in the nicu from birth to one week old. Now I get him to go back and forth from me to bottle by giving him one bottle a day at his most hungry time (evening for him).

Start with maybe half an oz and see if lo will take it and then latch on for the rest of the feeding. Or latch her for a few minutes and then sneak that bottle in.

Hi! I pump twice a day normally. First right before lo wakes up in the morning. Then right after he goes to bed at night. My oh works a lot too so I can sympathize with you there.

My son was exclusively bottle fed in the nicu from birth to one week old. Now I get him to go back and forth from me to bottle by giving him one bottle a day at his most hungry time (evening for him).

Start with maybe half an oz and see if lo will take it and then latch on for the rest of the feeding. Or latch her for a few minutes and then sneak that bottle in.

Oh the sneaking in sounds like a good idea. I might just have to try that. Thank you!

I always pump first thing in the morning after the first feeding, you have more in the am. Also, if someone can watch he for a few minutes, try pumping after each feeding or every other if that's too much. Or while she's napping. As far as bottles go, you might have to try different types. My son likes tommee tippee bottles and the first person to give one to her should be someone else and you should not be in the room. Have someone give her a bottle while you leave the room and take a break. Use that time to pump. This was advice from my lactation consultant and it worked great. My son took bottles fine while I was away. At 10 months I started supplementing with some formula since my son is losing weight and he's doing a combination of breastfeeding and bottle feeding with no problem. However, he does prefer the bottle now. So I would advise only letting others bottle feed while you breastfeed.

Will you be able to pump at work once you get a job? Theoretically, what you pump at work will be used for the next day's bottles. Anytime you pump at home is extra. Personally, I pump at work and that covers me for the next day, but I also pump after my son is asleep to keep my supply up (pump off the leftover for the day).

Will you be able to pump at work once you get a job? Theoretically, what you pump at work will be used for the next day's bottles. Anytime you pump at home is extra. Personally, I pump at work and that covers me for the next day, but I also pump after my son is asleep to keep my supply up (pump off the leftover for the day).
I would love to be able to pump at work. Idt I could go all day without her feeding or me pumping. That's great advice also. Thank you!

I pump when LO is napping, right before I take my nap. Or I give her to my DH to entertain in the evening after he gets off of work. Takes me about 10 mins each time.

How much do you all typically pump at a time?

That's a really loaded question. It depends on the person's individual supply, as well as how long it's been since the last pump/feed. I am pumping right now, and looks like I am going to get 5 oz, and the last time I pumped was 5 hours ago. This is quite low for me, as my son is getting older and nursing less.

When my baby was your LO's age, I had a pretty good supply and I would have pumped 10 oz after 5 hours not feeding.

But all that matters is that you pump enough for your baby's needs, best not to get caught up in the numbers (this coming from me, who documents every ounce pumped and fed in a spreadsheet :dohh:)

Haha. Thanks. I guess I didn't really think that question through. The most I've ever been able to pump was like two oz but it wasn't really that long since she had nursed.

I pump at work twice for the next day's daycare. I pump once in the middle of the night right after a feed to add to my freezer stash.

I used to pump only 1-2oz total before I went back to work, and now that I'm back to work I pump 5-7 oz each time.

Something I've done with both babies is pump right before they get up for the day. Since both mine were good sleepers and I've done it from the beginning I can get a lot of milk before they eat and still have plenty for them. When they sttn and your body is use to feeding them at night you make a ton if milk and so it just works out. I pump 9 ounces, I give 3 to my 16m old mixed with his morning milk and the rest goes in my freezer stash. I should have enough to stop nursing at 10m and continue giving bm past a year.

Something I've done with both babies is pump right before they get up for the day. Since both mine were good sleepers and I've done it from the beginning I can get a lot of milk before they eat and still have plenty for them. When they sttn and your body is use to feeding them at night you make a ton if milk and so it just works out. I pump 9 ounces, I give 3 to my 16m old mixed with his morning milk and the rest goes in my freezer stash. I should have enough to stop nursing at 10m and continue giving bm past a year.

Oh wow, that's really good! My lg is not such a great sleeper though so I usually wake up when she does.

I pump first thing in the am after ds eats and have DH watch LO. LO is also the happiest in the am so I can put him down in his swing for 20 mins and pump. Then I pump once more when he takes his morning nap right after he eats. I get 3oz first pump and 2oz 2nd pump. I'm putting 5oz freezer stash a day. I'm a stay at home mom so I don't need to pump much. I am going in a mini vacay for my 30th birthday so I'm stocking up for this. Also so I can enjoy a glass if wine here/there and if DH needs to feel ds while I am out running errands etc

I pump first thing in the morning before baby wakes! DD1 gets up at 8am so I pump while feeding her breakfast as DD2 does wake til 9am! I usually get about 4/5oz & it all goes in the freezer! I also pump at nap time & get about 3oz which I give to DD1 after her nap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->