When do you first hear the heartbeat?

luci and bump

Proud mummy to Evelyn :)
Reaction score
I saw my midwife yesterday, for what should have been my 16 week appointment. I'm currently 18 weeks. I have my 20 week scan Oct 10th, which takes place in the x-ray department at our hospital. Because of this I won't see a midwife now until 28 weeks.
I haven't heard the heartbeat yet, which makes me so, so sad :( I really wanted to make a recording of the heartbeat for my OH to put in a teddy as he's currently living 100 miles away. Waiting 10 weeks to hear it seems like such a long time! Everyone I've spoken to had already heard the heartbeat by this point. I don't want to buy a Doppler, but I really want to hear the heartbeat :cry:

it will be the next time you see your mw
mine did it at 16 weeks though you could get cheep Doppler off ebay perhaps

it will be the next time you see your mw
mine did it at 16 weeks though you could get cheep Doppler off ebay perhaps

28 weeks seems so late :( I'm not really happy with my midwife tbh, so I'm going to see if I can see a different midwife instead. I don't really want to buy a Doppler, they're not really recommended, and I'm already struggling with money, so can't afford anything unexpected atm :(

They aren't supposed to check it at the 16 week appointment anymore (unfortunately, it's still hard to find sometimes at that point, so leads to a lot of panic if they can't find it and unnecessary appointments at the EPU, meaning people who need to be seen for those appointments can't get in). So in theory, the NHS has cut the doppler check from the 16 week visit and they aren't supposed to even try now. They did try at my 16 week appt, only because the midwife brought a student with her and she wanted to give it a go, but I was sworn to secrecy! If this is your second, it would be at the next appt which is unfortunately 28 weeks. What about a framed photo from your scan? I wouldn't waste your money on a doppler.

Yes your next appt you will hear it, as the others said they don't listen for it at 16 anymore. You could buy a Doppler but I don't think it's worth the money at this stage..plus you aren't supposed to use them after you feel kicks so I guess it won't be in use for much longer anyway xx

If you have a nice ultrasound tech and explain your situation they could maybe find the heartbeat on their machine for you to record. I only heard the heartbeat on a growth scan but they may be allowed to do a short bit of doppler on routine scans if you ask

If you have a nice ultrasound tech and explain your situation they could maybe find the heartbeat on their machine for you to record. I only heard the heartbeat on a growth scan but they may be allowed to do a short bit of doppler on routine scans if you ask

I would try this. I was able to hear the hb at my 20 week scan last week.

I would try this. I was able to hear the hb at my 20 week scan last week.

Yes they always let me listen to heartbeat at ulstrrasound. Just ask

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->