When/how to phase out progesterone

Amygdala

Reaction score
Anyone else taking progesterone supplements?
I'm on 200mg progesterone a day, vaginally in the morning and at night (100mg each time). My doc said that after 12 weeks I can phase it out by reducing first to one suppository and then, three days later, stopping completely. I'll have quite a few left though and given that continuing to take them won't do any harm (as far as I know. I'm pretty sure of this but correct me if you know otherwise?), I'm wondering whether to delay stopping and/or phasing it out more slowly.
So I'm wondering what scheduled everyone else is on for stopping progesterone. When were you told to stop and how quickly?

With daughter I was on 200mg twice a day. My OB had me stop at 10 weeks. I cut back to one for one week and then stopped. And yes, as far as I know it doesn't hurt to continue, although it's not needed. The placenta takes over producing the progesterone around 10 weeks.

Thanks for your reply! So that sounds like there's already a bit of a safety margin in the recommendation to stop at 12 weeks... Were you nervous to stop?

Yes, I was very nervous to stop!! But I decided to trust my OB and his years of practice, and also it was nice to save the $$. It was so expensive since my insurance wouldn't cover the cost at all. I think it's probably normal to be worried about stopping. If you're feeling really anxious about it, then I'd continue a bit longer. I think peace of mind would be worth it. Good luck!!

I started taking only 1 a day around 10 weeks and stopped completely at 12 weeks.

Thanks greats! So you both stopped way earlier than I expected. I vaguely remember people writing that they were told to continue until 16 weeks when I first started looking into it. Makes me feel better about phasing out at 12 weeks though I guess. Or maybe I'll wait until 13? Oh I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->