When is first prenatal appointment, usually?

punkybrewster

Reaction score
Hi all, introduced myself in a few places, I'm new here! Just 5 weeks along, 3 positive tests, so guess I'm pretty sure. Wasn't exactly trying, but not avoiding either. I'm 33, have been married 10 years, this will be our first. Guess maybe you don't need all those details, but forgive my silly questions, feeling overwhelmed!

Anyway, I called my insurance (Kaiser) for a prenatal appointment. I thought they would have me come in right away for a blood test or something, but they just took my dates and set a PHONE appointment for 7/16, so I'll be almost 7 weeks. I have no idea when I will actually get to go in.

Just wondering if this was typical or just a Kaiser thing? When was your first appointment?

I think it all depends on the doctor and/or insurance. I didn't get in for my first appointment with this one until I was 8w+6d, and with my DS I was around 8 as well(same OB). I also get my first U/S then, and not again until 18 weeks(I know a lot of people get their first around 12weeks) I some people that have had appointments earlier(around 6 weeks, I think) and I some don't get in until later(around 10-12 weeks)

I thought you could book an appointment with your PCP who in most cases would have bloods or urine test done and if you need a referral to OB, would gee you to then book an prenatal appointment with the OB.

I have Aetna and don't need a referral to see my OB so can book prenatal directly without going to PCP. Not sure why you have to call insurance.

Maybe Kaiser works differently, but I've never had any phone appointments. Even though the first appointment often involves mainly talking - going over medical history, answering questions, etc., they wanted to get a urine sample, I think. Not to check for pregnancy, but to check for UTI or anything like protein or sugar in the urine. Because I've had several miscarriages, I usually go in earlier for blood tests or early ultrasounds, but for most women those aren't really necessary.

Thanks, all - I thought it was odd, too! I think it might be Kaiser. When I emailed the OB, she said to call for the appointment, which got me the phone appointment. Maybe I'll call again and see if I can come in sooner.

I think it varies greatly with insurance. With my first ordnance my appointment was at 8 weeks. Nothin beforehand, not even bloods.

This pregnancy follows two losses so I was brought in for bloods immediately, then an ultrasound at 7 weeks and my appointment is next week at 8. They did a little survey on the phone with me to get some of my med history out of the way for next week.

I've known women to go in as late as ten weeks for their first appointment, and as early as 6.

So not much consistency across the boards, frustratingly enough, LOL.

Thanks! I've been googling and seems like my experience is definitely the norm for Kaiser but for other providers too. I will stop worrying about that now...lol...and focus on all the other things I am worrying about.

My first ultrasound appointment was at 6 weeks 4 days and my next one will be a week from Wednesday and I'll be 9 weeks. My Dr. likes to do early ones to make sure baby is in correct spot and heartbeat can be detected. Which of course is fine by me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->