When is it too soon to buy baby items?

Wnt2beAMom

Reaction score
Haha. So I started looked at some buy and sell ads for baby things and there is a nice stroller, car seat, base set for $80. Looks very nice and in good shape. It's gender neutral too which is what we want. I'm afraid it is too soon to even buy baby stuff yet but I want to save money on things and this is a good deal!! What do you think?!?!

I was thinking of going to Baby's R Us and making a registry so I can see the whole cost of things and then when I see a buy and sell Ad I can compare exactly how much cheaper it is than buying new...and like what I did with buying wedding things it took a good head start and being patient to grab the good deals when someone was selling something I wanted.

Well I personally don't think I'll buy anything till I'm actually pregnant, otherwise I know I'll go crazy and buy so much! You need a lot of self control!
There are lots of ladies on here who are WTT and have started buying already, theyve found some super cute stuff!
If you have the will power to just buy what you need I say why not grab those bargains! Only if it will save you money in the long run :flower:

I don't wanna buy a thing till I am but feel so pulled as my mam has my uncles pram, car seat base the whole lot and its georgous its here as she is selling it for them but I really jst wanna keep it. Its gender neutral so even better. She also has an amazing Moses basket too, :-( totally doing my head in

Never lol! I bought a white wooden crib instead of a moses basket last week, it was on offer in Mothercare I couldn't leave it!

The funniest thing was my DS, he's 6 and said 'Mum, are we having a baby?' I just replied 'No, but its for when we do!'

Everyone knows I'm the number 1 advocate for buying things before hand. I've said this many times, but I think it helps with the wait and spreads the cost out. And it's good to get something when you find a good sale, no matter if it's 2 weeks or a year before. My intention is to leave the major purchases (car seat, for example) for pregnancy but I've gotten most of the other stuff already (most of it I got free). And I won't have to stress about that when pregnant. Do what feels right for you. Don't let 'feeling bad' or other peoples' judgements stop you. Think about it, what makes it 'too soon' to buy?

Car seats expire, so I would never buy those until baby is on the way. Also, I would NEVER in a million years buy one used. You don't know the history. It may look fine, but could have been in an accident, and thus, the quality could be severely compromised. Not worth the risk!

Before I had my daughter, I started buying cloth diapers, and a few clothing items here and there before we were even TTC.

I've still got a long wait, but have my fair share of items already. I believe in spreading the cost. Almost everything we have was bought on sale or clearance, and the few things that weren't are things that just were too "us" to pass up and we were afraid that we would not be able to get them when we are pregnant. I'm saving the big things for closer to the date, like the crib, carseats and even bath things only because we will have a baby shower (possibly even 2) and also because we are short on storage space. Definitely planning which kinds we want, and everything has helped ease the broodiness and helped me relax knowing I am more prepared for baby now.

Car seats expire, so I would never buy those until baby is on the way. Also, I would NEVER in a million years buy one used. You don't know the history. It may look fine, but could have been in an accident, and thus, the quality could be severely compromised. Not worth the risk.

Agreed. I love buying 2nd hand. But I would never do it with a car seat. Nor a cot/bassinet mattress.

ETA: OP's TTC in 5 months, though, so I doubt the carseat would expire, as long as it's not already a few years old.

I am waiting to buy everything until I'm pregnant. I think it will jinx me :wacko: so weird to say...but it's true.

Ya...I actually didn't realize car seats expire so quickly! Anyways, I don't think DH will let me buy baby items yet haha. I'll just keep my self occupied in other ways..

No I wouldn't, I also wouldn't buy something until I was over 12 weeks. If TTC took a while or I was unfortunate to have a MC then seeing the stuff over the house would be even more heartbreaking.

I'm going to start saving to help with the cost.

I can't see myself buying before 12 week scan. I mainly bought after the 20 week scan last time.

I dont think I would incase we had difficulty TTC.

I have however took note of what i want and im checking the sites amd clocking which sales are the best so I know for future when is best to buy. Black friday/january/summer sales etc

I dont think I would incase we had difficulty TTC.

I have however took note of what i want and im checking the sites amd clocking which sales are the best so I know for future when is best to buy. Black friday/january/summer sales etc

Hi stranger!

I broke (cyber Monday!) and got a swing that was regularly $234 dollars for $65 on Amazon...I know we are WTT until April, but it also has a detachable infant seat, I couldn't resist! I can always let my cousin use it for now (she has a 3 month old) if I don't want it to collect dust!

Other than that, I am not buying until we are past 12 weeks.

I have bought some cloth diapers and covers. As well as some nursing stuff (pump, pillow, cover). I will definitely be saving the big items for when baby is cooking, but will be collecting the other stuff in the mean time.

It's never too soon!

With that said- I do not reccomend buying a carseat used. They come with expiration dates and you do not know the history of them. Car seats that have bsen in an accident, no matter how minor, or have had their straps washed are not to be used. You never know the history behind the seat, no matter how honest the previous owner may seem- I wouldn't risk it. You can find a good carseat for a decent price, brand new. That's just one of those things that should not be looked over.

I doubt I'll buy anything until I'm pregnant and I'll probably wait till I felt it wasn't going to go anywhere. I did actually buy a cute bib when I was living in Australia with wombats on it, but I ended up giving it to friends of mine who had a baby as I felt stupid having it without any solid plans (at the time) of having a baby myself.

I don't really want much stuff for a baby anyway. I want a nice baby sling as I want to baby wear, and some cloth nappies and a few clothes, but to be honest my mother is probably going to go insane when I'm pregnant and buy/knit at ton of stuff. I think that's all I really want before hand. If we end up needing a pram or a car seat (we don't have a car) I'll get them then but I don't want to end up with a ton of stuff I don't use.

I would probably wait until you are actually pregnant as in the baby world stuff moves on so quick there may be a better, newer version out and you may find your tastes change between now and then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->