When should I tell my family? co-workers? boss?

jellybeanmom

Reaction score
I just got a :bfp: today. It is super early in the pregnancy (3 weeks, 2 days) and I know it would be wise to wait to tell people other than my DH. That said.... I really want to tell the world! How long should I make myself wait? Should that time frame vary by who I am telling? Thank you for your input on my wonderful dilemma! :cloud9::flower:

The test Wasn't even dry and I was telling my mother and mother in law. Told all immediate family straight away 😅 others it depended on who they where etc Tell people whenever you feel comfortable

I told my family straight away (4wks) only because I share with them the good and the bad! Friends I told as I saw them after 13wk scan (except for the really close ones who are like family at this point) and work I told at 15wks with DS1 and 19wks with DS2 (only because we were going through restructure from about 12wks with DS2 and I wanted to cement my role rather than be pushed out).

When I found out I was pregnant with my ds my parents, oh parents brothers and sisters were told the same day but we did IVF which my family knew about. I told my friends and colleagues after my 12 week scan. This time around me and oh are enjoying keeping our little secret to ourselves! I have an early scan booked for when I'm 7 weeks so we. Plan on telling immediate family after the scan on our return from holiday when I'll be 9 weeks.

We told DH's mum when I was about 6 weeks because we were visiting her then. We'll tell my parents on Friday and my brother on Saturday because we'll be with them in person then (they live in the US and I live in the UK). We've been telling close friends gradually, usually when we see them. The ones we've told know about the mc we had in Dec. I told my boss early on (just after 6 weeks) and a couple colleagues at work because we're doing a lot of planning for the next academic year that starts in Sept, and it's easier to make some changes now. We want to wait until the next scan to tell more people though (we had an early scan at 7 weeks and all was ok), but will probably wait until we have an abnormality scan/chromosome testing to make any big announcements like on social media.

I would say tell those people who you would want support from anyway if the worst happened. I am 7 weeks and have told immediate family and a couple of friends xxx I don't plan to tell work until after 12 week scan at least x

Do whatever YOU want to do!! If you want to shout it to the world, go ahead. It doesn't matter what anyone else does as you're the only one who has to be comfortable about your decision. With daughter, I told only my mom after I saw the hb at week 6 and then everyone else as I saw them once I started showing, which was around weeks 24-26. I was an older mom who had already had several miscarriages and knew I had a high chance of losing the pregnancy or something being wrong with baby so it took a long time for me to get attached and excited. But hey, if I had been younger and not already experienced several miscarriages, I would have told everybody as soon as I saw the line LOL Congratulations!

I would say tell those people who you would want support from anyway if the worst happened. I am 7 weeks and have told immediate family and a couple of friends xxx I don't plan to tell work until after 12 week scan at least x

I agree with this, it depends who your would tell anyway, sometimes it's useful if someone at work knows if you feel awful. But it's entirely up to you, just remember your cant un-tell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->