When should I tell work that I am leaving?

1cre8tivgrl

Mommy of 3
Reaction score
I've recently made the big decision to become a stay at home mom after this baby is born. I've been with my current company for 11 years now, its been stale the last 2 years (and I hate my boss) and I'm ready for something new. I had originally wanted to give them plenty of notice but now I don't know...they are nice people but when they get bad news (me leaving is going to be a bit of a shock to them) they are not great to deal with. In past I've watch them swear and yell and tell people to leave immediately after giving their notice, either that or they get mad and treat you like crap for the rest of the time that your here. I am planning to leave on June 12th so was wondering how long can I wait to tell them...I don't want them to bring someone in for me to train temporarily...it would be a huge waste of my time and after my last maternity leave (was a nightmare they made me train someone that had never even used a computer before!) I am telling them I'm not training anyone as you need a college degree to be a designer...they should know better, they are just cheap and try to save a buck anyway they can. How long should I wait to tell them?? Any advice greatly appreciated!!

I would wait until bubs is here and tell them u cant face leaving her so you wont be coming back this way you will not have to work with them once u have told them :hugs:

I would give them notice so that they can find someone to train. You also want to do things by the book so that they will give you a good reference when you do go looking for another job. Someday you just may need it.

i would tell them whilst your on maternity leave, thats what i am doing. i have told work i want to take the full 12months allowance but beofre i'm due to go back i'm going to tell them that i have finished.

xx

I really should be evil and rotten to them after the stunt they pulled on me the last time I was coming back from my maternity leave but unfortunately I'm a nice person :hissy: LOL My boss was such a jerk to me last time that I didn't want to come back then, unfortunately finances didn't work out and I had no choice. I am definately going to tell them before I go just not sure when exactly, in the states you have to give a min of 2 weeks notice, I was thinking I might do 3 or 4...depending on when they start asking me to train someone, then I will have no choice but to tell them. :dohh:

Ask them for a letter of reference then hon. Try and get that in your hands before you leave!

I would wait until baby is here and see how you feel. It often depends aswell on your contract if you are being paid more than SMP rates while you are off. If it is normal SMP rates I think you can give notice while on maternity leave in the normal notice period as in your contract and not have to repay any SMP. If you are getting more money that normal SMP rates you may have to pay some back.

We don't get paid for maternity leave over here...wish I lived in the UK for that reason....you girls are very lucky! Since this is my only employment after college I will want to leave on good terms and definately need their references!

My dad has always said never burn bridges. I wouldn't leave on bad terms in case you need something from them some day. Also you have to watch telling them you're not coming back while you're on leave. They might say ok then we're not paying you for your leave.
I'm planning on taking my full leave and seeing how it goes and if all is ok on less money, I'll probably come back and give notice. :)

Girls I am at the end of my rope...I was going to wait until June 12th to leave my work but I honestly don't know if I can put up with my boss for that long, he's making me angrier every day. This morning I find out the loser who filled in for me last time I was out on maternity leave is also going to be this time (only because they don't know I'm leaving for good yet). It was a meeting they had yesterday and the only reason I found out is because a friend of mine here over heard, don't you think I should have been involved in that meeting?!!! I felt like it was very behind my back and secretive. My boss knows I don't want that man on my computer because of what I came back to, I was outraged. (I found tons of nude lady pics saved all over my hard drive) I was so angry!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do anymore, I can't stand my boss and it seems to be getting worse, every day he does something new to piss me off. I'm seriously thinking about leaving earlier now, I know the money would be nice but is it really worth putting up with his BS? I just don't know how much more I can take! Sorry for the rant!

:hugs: If u can manage financely (SP) Then i would make out that your far too tired and cant carry on much longer along with that give your notice to leave for good :hugs:

Try and keep things in perspective hun and remember, as patronising as it sounds, pg makes us take things a lot more to heart and we are more sensitive.

I was sooo close to walking out of my job before I started mat leave but had to keep reminding myself that I'd only be shooting myself in the foot.

You'll need their references at some point in the future and as much as you wanna tell 'em where to go, can you really afford to do that?

Try and take one day and a time and then think things thro once you've started maternity leave - you dont wanna go making any bold decisions now, regret and then it'll be too late to change your mind xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->