When to leave day care for preschool?

psychochick

Reaction score
LO started day care at 7 months and is doing great there. We love it but wonder if he should be learning more starting around 2-2.5. There's a preschool near us that we like but it would be considerably more expensive, but provides a very enriched program. I think it'd be great for him to learn more there but just not sure when is a good time to start. The higher cost aside, preschool won't cook for him like day care does, and there's just a lot of uncertainty on the teacher he will get versus the ones he has now who care about him a lot already. I just wonder if it's better for him to get more structure and exposure at 2 or is it better to wait until 3+?

Here in the UK most send our little ones to nursery (pre-school) just after their 3rd birthday where they stay until they start school. They learn a lot from social skills, role play to quiet individual skills but it's not necessary before that age. I think at your lo's age simple play, care and attention is fine. He will learn the social skills for school when he is older.

I personally am not planning on sending my children to pre-school since they will be in daycare 2 days per week and will just stay at daycare until they start kindergarten. If they didn't go to daycare then I would do preschool for the social aspects, but I think being in daycare is sufficient. I think at 2 years old they need to play and interact with other kids, they don't need a structured learning program. My daycare doesn't do structured learning, but it is run by an ex-school teacher so she does a lot of play based learning activities with the kids. It's also a mixed age daycare (with only 6 kids) so the kids learn a lot from each other.

My son has been in daycare since 15 months and I plan to enroll him into preschool next fall just after he turns 4. We have a similar situation where money played a part as the preschool is considerably more expensive and doesn't provide food. From a logistics stand point it was better to stay at daycare. He has had a lot of exposure to academics at daycare so I guess it has worked out well.

I plan to start my daughter at the same preschool when she turns 3 as I feel like it would have benefited DS greatly. However, I had difficulties getting them to agree to his strange schedule. Now that I know they will work with us we will be going that route.

At two, all he needs is play and socialization. He can learn more academic concepts at home if he's interested, but I wouldn't bother with preschool until 3 or 4. Leo is currently 3 and we're hopping to get him into preschool next fall when he'll be getting close to 3 and a half. Violet started when she was 2 months short of 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->