When to start expressing...

AK89

Reaction score
My baby is 10 days old today and has just been weighed and is 1oz above birth weight! I'm so happy since I've been EBF :flower: She is really good at it now, never has any trouble latching on. I'm just wondering when I'll be able to start expressing so OH can do a feed? I definitely don't wanna start too early and mess everything up but I did read somewhere (I think!) that once they're back up to birth weight and well established in breastfeeding then you're OK to start? I'm not expecting to be able to start just yet, I'm just curious..

Thanks in advance!

I was told to wait 4-6 weeks to give a bottle, but don't wait too long after that as they might not take it.

I started expressing and giving a bottle to my DS before we left the hospital so he would sleep in a incubator for a night. He never had nipple confusion. He will take a bottle from other people but if I try he wont take it as he then wants the real thing. Find bottles that have nipples most like breast that have a slow flow I use Avent. GL its nice to get a break from feeding.

I started pumping and freezing right away and we introduced a bottle at 5.5 weeks.

I was told once BF is established. We've been trying to get DD to take a bottle since 2 weeks and she's managed to take it twice. She just won't take one. I've just been building a freezer stash instead lol

You can express/pump any time but I wouldn't introduce a bottle quite yet. I introduced one at 4 weeks and it seemed fine. I don't know exactly what constitutes breastfeeding being established but I had plenty of supply, my DD was gaining loads of weight and she had been latching perfectly for a couple weeks. Feeding her the odd bottle at that point didn't seem to hurt my supply at all.

Thanks ladies!

So when is best to pump? As in what time of day..? If I did it and then baby wanted to feed, wouldn't she not be able to get as much...?? Might be a stupid question but I'm new to all this! :) And isn't there a danger of increasing my supply beyond what she needs and getting engorged..? :wacko:

Yes, there is a danger in getting oversupply if you pump more than your baby needs while establishing your supply. That is another reason it is not recommended until breastfeeding is "established" (6-12 weeks). That being said, an extra bit each day should not be an issue if you are so inclined.

I am writing this while I sit hooked up to my pump doing my 3rd pump of the workday. I am wondering why anyone would WANT to get started with this! LOL.

I pumped every day after the first feed in the morning when we get up. At first I got barely an ounce. Now I get 3-6 depending on how long he's slept.

My DD is 6 weeks today and I started pumping at 4 weeks roughly to build a supply. I have yet to give her a bottle as was going to wait until she settled into her own routine (which she now seems to be doing)

We introduced a bottle at just a few days old. We did the same with my DS1. Just one bottle a day for a night feed. Neither had an issue with nipple confusion however friends who waited the advised 6 weeks did.

I currently express in the evening when DS2 has his longest stretch of sleep. It's just more practical to do then with a toddler. The morning however is supposed to be the best time as supply is always larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->