When to start looking for a pediatrician?

Jcliff

Reaction score
Just wondering when is around the normal time to start looking for a pediatrician would be? It took me 20 weeks to find my perfect OB and I don't want to just settle with any dr!

You can start at any time :) I don't think it's ever too early, now that you're in the third tri. I think I started asking my friends with children about their pediatricians looking for recommendations when I was about 31 wks. I dont know about around you, but here by me at times some offices are full to capacity and aren't accepting new patients at the time. So I chose mine and made sure they would take a new baby around the time of due date and was settled with them by 35 wks. Again, I'm not sure about your hospital as they all might be diff but I preregistered at my hospital when I was 35 or 36 weeks that way you don't have to do all the paperwork when in labor. They have you list your ped then when you preregister.... So I was glad to had made that decision by then so I didn't have to go back and fill in those blanks at a later time. Hope this helped, I would maybe start asking around to see if some other moms have any leads for you.

We have to know ours before we are in the hospital. After I had my daughter, they just asked who the pediatrician was and they called and sent for them to come over and check her out. I'm pretty sure I could have just came into the hospital and decided that day! Lol

I had to choose before I was in the hospital. My doctor told me that they will not let me leave until they know who the pediatrician was and until they seen my lo when she was born.

My doctor suggested I get it figured out by like 34 weeks. That way, as a PP said, I could know if they accepted new patients, etc. :thumbup:

Go ahead and find one, as they do want to know when you're leaving the hospital. But also know that not all peds go to all hospitals to check out a baby. For instance, I'm going to pick a pediatrician that won't go to my hospital, simply because I picked a hospital in the city right across the river. It's just as fast to get to that hospital for me, as it is to get to one in my city, because it's all interstate rather than dealing with city traffic, but it's not technically in my "area". The hospital has a few pediatricians though that come do the initial checks for your baby though, if you haven't picked one that comes to the hospital.

My OB has actually asked me a couple of times already if I've chosen one, and wants to put it in my notes once I do.

I don't think the peds will be coming to the hospital in my area. I'm hoping to start looking by 30 weeks.

Oh also some pediatricians charge for a consultation, whether you pick them or not. That's why I'm taking it one at a time, rather than setting up a bunch of consultations at once. Our money is tight though. If yours isn't I think it's definitely worth checking out any pediatricians that are fairly close to where you live (you don't want to drive far with a sick baby!).

Oh also some pediatricians charge for a consultation, whether you pick them or not. That's why I'm taking it one at a time, rather than setting up a bunch of consultations at once. Our money is tight though. If yours isn't I think it's definitely worth checking out any pediatricians that are fairly close to where you live (you don't want to drive far with a sick baby!).

I haven't found any that charge.

Well the one I've consulted with so far, I was told that it would be a $25 fee for a consultation. They ended up NOT charging me, but I was told ahead of time that I would be charged. Also, at our childbirth prep class the nurse teaching it mentioned that some pediatricians charge... they shouldn't, IMO, but I guess some do.

I would recommend looking before baby arrives. I think any time you have time and feel comfortable looking would be fine, but definitely before the baby arrives. He used the hospital pediatricians while he was in the hospital. I didn't have a pediatrician before I went to the hospital and it was a nightmare calling the insurance company and trying to pick one so they could send his screenings to the right place and then the one the insurance company gave me wasn't really a pediatrician, it was a pediatric gastroenterologist so his results got sent to some random doctor's office. Ugh, it was a mess. I will definitely have everything situated beforehand for the next baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->