When will it stop hurting so much?

redneckhippy

Reaction score
My son is 4 1/2 weeks old and I'm still having a lot of pain. He had tongue tie, which was clipped last week, but it's still painful and my nipples are still cracked. Sometimes the pain also seems to be all the way through my breasts. I don't want to give up, but I still dread feedings. I keep thinking it will get better any day but it still is so painful.

Are your nipples damaged at all? If so personally I'd use a nipple shield for a few days to help them heal.

BF shouldn't be painful. Has anyone checked his latch?

My LO had both a tongue and upper lip tie when they were corrected we really had to encourage him to flange his lips as he still continued to shallow latch.

Sorry to hear its so uncomfortable for you, hopefully once your LO gets use to the new latch it'll get better. I've not had to deal with anything like that, and have started to get pain free now. I was a bit worried that I still had a little discomfort past the initial few days, but after checking everything out have decided I just have mega sensitive nipples! At 7 weeks I'd say BF is painless. I hope you find it gets better soon.

way way way back when I was breastfeeding DS2 (10 years ago) I had very sore nipples (not cracked though) on and off and my OBGYN said that it was because I have PCOS and the hormone fluctuations caused that can make the girls more sensitive. I don't know your medical history, but something to think about :)

I second the temporary nipple shield idea. Can you see a lactation consultant? I saw one last week, and it made a big difference. Good luck!

Hi,
I'd also check that you haven't got a yeast infection - it can be incredibly painful throughout the breast tissue. I had it around this sort of time with LO, just mentioned it to HV when she came round and was so glad I did as 24 hours later it was horrendously painful. She managed to sort out meds via the Dr for myself and LO (although I never saw any signs that she had it in her mouth or otherwise). Also turned out that LO had a partial tonguetie.
Xxx

I have been seeing a LC, but it hasn't solved the pain. One breast is mostly better but the other side is still cracked and very painful. I try the nipple shield sometimes, but he only latches onto the nipple when I use it no matter what I do and then it's still painful and also encouraging bad latch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->