When would you..? (Cat)

C

Ceejay123

I posted in here a week and a half ago, my cat had been poisoned and had died. Bless her soul.

Well, people keep asking me when I'm getting another cat, and I keep saying not for a while as my cat meant a lot to me and I don't want I simply replace her. On top of that because of my worry, any cat I have will mainly have to be indoor. :dohh:

For the last few days I've been questioning things, as I feel awful for my son. He loved her, 'cat' was one of his main, and first words. He calls everything a cat if he wants it! Anyway, he keeps running up to the French doors, shouting outside 'cat, cat' and crying.

A couple of days ago, he saw the neighbours cat on the driveway, and I had to stand there for fifteen minutes while he cuddled him!

I will have another cat at some point, I've always had them, and they're always well loved, good natured cats because of the amount of attention they receive. But I don't know whether to get a cat soon.. So that it can grow up with / bond with Riley (pretty much be his cat) and to stop his grief over jolenes passing.. Or whether to wait a couple of years because I feel guilty even contemplating it after the passing of our cat.

Hmmmm Its hard isnt it.

When I was about 20 my childhood cat lucy died, she had been poorly for about 6 weeks and the vets came to put her down at home day after valentine day :( she was 17, the vetreny nurse who was with them rang up a week later and explained she fostered cats and they had some kittens and if we were thinking of getting another cat would we like to see them-I immediately said no we didn't, the following weekend we rang her back and went to see them they were lovely there was also a feral cat 6 months old that had been with them for 9 weeks which no one wanted, guess which one we had! Yep the feral one, she is now 5 and is no where near a lap cat, but has a scatty character and is lovely. She is Topsy my screen name :)

When I move in with DH he had a cat that passed away after about 3 years of me moving in. With just me and Dh here at the time the house was to quiet. I rang the same lady. She had some kittens we went to see them, the mum was also there at 7 months old this was her second litter of kittens :( just heartbreaking again Angela had had her for sometime and most of the kittens were going, we choose her the mum. she is a so good with LO, he loves her and his 4th word was ca.....T!

To me our house isnt a home without a cat, but I understand is must be so hard for you, espically after what that awful person done. My friend has an indoor cat-hes diabetic and he cant go out but is a lovely lap cat.

Good luck with whatever decision you make hun, and keep us posted if you do decide to get another furry friend. xxx

Sooner or later you'll feel ready to have another cat, don't rush in to anything too soon. Even if you wait a few weeks just to somewhat get over what that horrible person did to your cat, and then see where you stand. It would be nice to have a cat for Riley to grow up with xx

Oh hun, I'm sorry to hear about your cat. It's so upsetting & awful what people do these days. My Jasmine was poisoned last month and I was so, so lucky that after intensive care she did pull through but the odds weren't good.

Wait & see how you feel. There is no right or wrong and even if you got another cat now, it wouldn't mean you were replacing Jolene. I'm sure she would want you to have another pet, especially as Riley loves cats so much! Perhaps you will see one somewhere for sale/free and you will know that that is the cat for you.

x

It's definitely a personal decision and you'll know what's right for you. What a horrible situation.

I can only speak for dogs, but my home is not a home without a dog so I know that I would have another one very soon.

i'm sorry to hear about your cat :hugs: don't rush into anything, you know you're going to get one eventually so i would wait until you feel ready! i think it would be a month or two before i could face it but not sure i could leave it much longer because my flat would feel so empty.

mine is an indoor cat, has never been outside bar when he's been in his carrier going to the vet or when i've moved house and he doesn't seem bothered, he's happy with his kingdom in here so don't worry about having to keep the new one indoors :)

Thank you girls. I was so worried people would think I was being over emotional about a cat- like my room mate does. (It's my house, he rents from me.. So it's my decision). But he's a dog person and never liked my cat, so he just thinks I'm being over emotional. My other half keeps saying things like, it's up to me.. But he doesn't know how we'd cope with Riley and a litter tray - which is a fair point. I'd love to go to the RSPCA to get a rescue cat, but as far as I'm aware they don't let you take them if you have a child under 4?

I'll see how I feel later x

hmm I dunno how ill cope with LO and a litter tray either so have no advice there :haha:

definitely not being over emotional, I dread the day my cat will die though it hopefully won't be for a long time! I really don't know how ill cope.

I don't know the RSPCA rules, I think with the SSPCA and cats protection it depends on the cat but most of them are looking for outdoor homes with no other pets and an older family. I wanted a second cat and was looking and never found anything suitable! you could register your interest though :)

Yeah I have a dog, and a baby.. So I'm an awful candidate! Haha. I took Alice in when she was 8 (my first cat that I had when I moved out) and I loved having her from a rescue home. However she was very scared for a few days, if my other half told her off (I.e shouted 'aliiiceee' because she'd eaten something she shouldn't have, she'd run, shake and pee :( he'd have to stay away from her for days until she'd calm down haha.

We cope fine with our 19 month old and a litter tray. Our kitty is an indoor cat, and so good with our lo. They are best mates.
We got our kitten as a rescue cat from a charity. It was all done through our friends vets practice after she came in needing treatment.

I would get one locally if you can't get one with a lo from a charity
So sorry about your cat.
Xx

mine is from cats protection and didn't need to be outdoor, quiet home etc because he was a wee kitten so you could maybe ask about that! :)

We cope fine with our 19 month old and a litter tray. Our kitty is an indoor cat, and so good with our lo. They are best mates.
We got our kitten as a rescue cat from a charity. It was all done through our friends vets practice after she came in needing treatment.

So sorry about your cat.
Xx

Does your little one not throw the litter about at all? That's what I'm worried about, as I can't hide the tray away while litter training. My sister has an indoor cat, and we had to move her tray to a windowsill while my son was there, luckily she was big/old enough to jump up x

So sorry about your cat.
Xx

Does your little one not throw the litter about at all? That's what I'm worried about, as I can't hide the tray away while litter training. My sister has an indoor cat, and we had to move her tray to a windowsill while my son was there, luckily she was big/old enough to jump up x

She went through a phase of watching the cat in the litter tray, and given half a chance, she would have stuck her hands in.

Being an indoor cat, fully vaccinated, her poops wouldn't be as dangerous as she can't catch worms etc.

She's not interested now. However if your worried, buy a hooded litter tray with a door so lo can't get to it.

She has brought such joy to us-she even comes to watch lo in the bath, and comes to her when she cries. Xx

my mums cat died last week and she got a kitten on saturday, it has helped her with the grief xy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->