When you think about your labour...

Pretty positive; yes, it hurt like hell but it's supposed to :haha:

I didn't have any complications, though.

Mixed for me....but that's for labor and after.

I was induced. Hoped for vaginal birth but ended up with a c-sec. That part actually doesn't bother me at all. I didn't care how she was born, just so long as she was healthy :)

What does bother me when thinking back was the lack of sleep from the nurses constantly checking me and our families not leaving us alone.
It actually really pisses me off thinking about it now. We constantly told family that they could go home... but oh no, they had to stay and keep us both awake even though it was plain as day that both DH and I were exhausted.
I love my MiL, but she is an idiot sometimes. Clearly seeing that I'm falling asleep and then will ask me a damn question waking me up.
Wish THAT had gone differently.
For the next... that shit is not happening. :nope:

Labor and delivery were the easiest parts of my pregnancy!! I had painful contractions for a few hours, but after I got my epidural it was smoooooth sailing and didn't feel a bit of pain through the whole delivery.

I enjoyed it. I tell people that and they think Im crazy, but it really was fun. Contractions weren't as terrible as I expected (especially after an epidural), it felt funny and gross when my water broke (but still not that bad), and pushing was exciting.

The only thing that was sort of unexpected was the epidural only working on half my body. I also had a bit of a panic attack when they had to put an IV in my hand...I dont mind needles, but I hate the idea of it being in my vein and possibly getting tugged out or something. I practically made them wrap my entire arm in tape to make sure that thing didnt wiggle a millimeter.

I voted awesome even though it wasn't that great. In the end I got the monitored hospital Labour I wanted and she got here safely. The absolute worst part of the whole thing was the prodromal labour for the two weeks prior!
Induced, failure to progress. Had to up the dose of synto. I finally progressed. After 8 hours I opted for the epi. He missed once, but I don't really mind. It only worked one side but I was allowed to keep the dose low so I still felt contractions and was in control - it just took the edge off which is exactly what I wanted. The catheter got blocked though - that wasn't fun.
3 hours of pushing, baby got stuck, went into distress, mec'ed and I tore BUT I got her out with no intervention just the way I wanted. Sure it wasn't perfect but I remember it fondly and am proud of myself.

Mine was an induction leading to emcs. I voted awful and will never do it again. I will of course do it again, but I will do everything in my power to not be induced and to not let them run over me. I think back on my son's birth very negatively and almost three years later it still affects me.

I had an amazing pregnancy followed by a horrrific labour. It didn't need to be but the hospital staff let me down. I was left in trirage for 9 hours with no pain relief due to no beds or midwives. My labour started with contractions 3 minutes apart but I wasn't dilating - they should have helped my labour progress but they didn't have the staff. When I finally got on labour ward I demanded an epidural but was told I was a strong woman and didn't need it!!! In the end I pushed her out in 10 mins with just gas and air so I am proud of that :)

Following the birth I was left for two hours without stitching as they'd lost the only lamp! Later I found out I shouldve been given a transfusion for the blood loss. When I finally ended up on the postnatal ward I asked for help with feeding and I was told to go to sleep as they were too busy. The next day they accidentally discharged my notes so didn't even realise I was still there!

I am now being offered counselling for this awful experience and it really has put me off more children but I feel cheated of a very special experience.

I ended up with a c section after 2 days of regular contractions & 25 hours of established labour due to lack of progression for the last 9 hours. I felt like a failure, still do a bit but I'm kind of making peace with it. My son is perfect, that's what matters xx

I had a brilliant labour! I had a planned home water birth with baby #4 and everything went perfectly. I'd practiced natal hypnotherapy throughout and can honestly say that it helped me have a quick, pain free labour. The midwives were wonderful, they all took the time to read my birth plan carefully and gave me exactly the level of support I needed (hands off, no VEs, just a gentle suggestion to try a different position when contractions slowed slightly). My husband delivered our son on the birthpool and I had a natural 3rd stage with no tearing or stitches after. I had a few gulps of G&A during my 8 minute second stage, apart from that, totally unmedicated. Sadly, this is our last :(. I would do it all again tomorrow if I could!

so many different experiences. I really think back to my labour with extremely fond memories. I planned a home birth with a pool and gas and air. Started contracting at 9pm (very light) made my way into my sis flat a while later (where i was giving birth) and got there at 1am. midwife came and examined me,i was 4cm, 30 mins later the pain was immense (that was what i kept saying thru my whole labour "the pain is so immense" what a loser..lol) that she checked me again and i was 9cm. 2nd midwife came, by that time i had just started pushing and had my son at 5.31am. didnt use the pool or the gas and air. i really surprised myself how well i coped with the pain and im so happy with the midwives i got. the read my birth plan and stuck to it (i didnt want to be offered any drugs or pain relief and for them to wait for me to ask). really gave me space and let me go with my body. i ended up giving birth to my son standing up which i didnt think id do. helped a lot that my son was head down very early and the midwife that did his checks when he was born said that by the shape of his head, it was in the perfect position that it needed to be for birth so really my son made it an easy labour for me lol. im really happy that it wasnt stressful and i was reletively quiet (or so the midwives said) as my son is a VERY sensitive soul and jumps at the smallest of noises if hes not execting it or is sleepy so i really think it would have affected him negatively had it been a traumatic labour.

after his was born things werent good as i got PUPP and had to stop breastfeeding (also had latch probs etc) as was put on steroid and also have had a touch on PND (which im currently trying to sort out as i cant take antidepressants cuz i had an awful reaction to them).

so labour was AWSOME, new born/baby time a little stressful (normal i guess) but i LOVE my son more than anything :)

I pushed for upwards of two hours and eventually delivered with vaccum assistance and a resident literally pushing my baby of me by putting pressure on my stomach and sliding her down. I had a 4th degree episiotomy and the midwife tried to tell me I only needed ibuprofin as pain medication. It sucked.

This. I had the same thing, I called it a "steamroller motion" because that's what it felt like. My perineum is still tender to the touch and the post-partum recovery was the worst. Thank GOD for side-lying breastfeeding. I couldn't bear to be seated for weeks.

I have mixed feelings with my labor, but one thing that stands out is how alone I was through it all. I'm grateful for how straight forward and generally easy it was, but I'm sad my OH wasn't always by my side to hold my hand. They kept kicking him out for every little procedure then forgetting to let him come back in that in total he was probably with me two hours (one at the beginning and one at the end).

Even when it was time to push, the midwife told me to go ahead and start pushing and she'd check on me later, so there I was with my knees to my chest pushing by myself. I think the experience was so vastly different from what I had envisioned that when LO was born, I was in such a state of shock. I didn't even cry. I just looked at her and said "Cool" and pulled a goofy smile. It didn't even sink in she was my child until they brought her to me an hour later to breastfeed.

If I could change anything, it would have been my reaction when I first saw her.

I pushed for upwards of two hours and eventually delivered with vaccum assistance and a resident literally pushing my baby of me by putting pressure on my stomach and sliding her down. I had a 4th degree episiotomy and the midwife tried to tell me I only needed ibuprofin as pain medication. It sucked.

This. I had the same thing, I called it a "steamroller motion" because that's what it felt like. My perineum is still tender to the touch and the post-partum recovery was the worst. Thank GOD for side-lying breastfeeding. I couldn't bear to be seated for weeks.

I have mixed feelings with my labor, but one thing that stands out is how alone I was through it all. I'm grateful for how straight forward and generally easy it was, but I'm sad my OH wasn't always by my side to hold my hand. They kept kicking him out for every little procedure then forgetting to let him come back in that in total he was probably with me two hours (one at the beginning and one at the end).

Even when it was time to push, the midwife told me to go ahead and start pushing and she'd check on me later, so there I was with my knees to my chest pushing by myself. I think the experience was so vastly different from what I had envisioned that when LO was born, I was in such a state of shock. I didn't even cry. I just looked at her and said "Cool" and pulled a goofy smile. It didn't even sink in she was my child until they brought her to me an hour later to breastfeed.

If I could change anything, it would have been my reaction when I first saw her.

Sadly, me too. After 3 hours of pushing, her going into distress and coming out silent, I was too exhausted to "care" the way I wanted to. It caused me immense guilt for months. I didn't bond immediately like I thought I would and she didn't feel like "mine" for weeks :(

Me too! I'd always cried when I saw births on tv so was certain I would cry at my own. Instead I went 'wow - I did it!'' Lol I had also requested she was put straight on my chest after birth without cleaning. I cuddled her then kind of went 'urgh' as I realised I was covered in muck! Lol

^The weeks leading up to my due date I would sob at 16 and pregnant episodes, baha. :blush:

Sadly, me too. After 3 hours of pushing, her going into distress and coming out silent, I was too exhausted to "care" the way I wanted to. It caused me immense guilt for months. I didn't bond immediately like I thought I would and she didn't feel like "mine" for weeks :(

Aw, sweetie :hugs: It's hard not to feel guilty, especially when they look up at us with such awe and adoration, but we have a lifetime of love to give so don't feel bad. <3

One day our little girls will be having babies of their own and may very well have the same mixed feelings we had and it'll be a great comfort to them to know that that love will come, one way or another.

That's exactly what it's like! I had never heard/seen this before giving birth.

And sadly, yes, I felt similar as well. Too exhausted/shocked/horrified to really care when I met my baby for the first time. I used to feel terrible about this, but I actually think it's a relatively common reaction if you've had a tough labor.

My labor and birth was awesome. I was in cloud nine for 3 weeks! I'm still smiley and sentimental when I think about it or see pictures. I had a wonderful calm textbook homebirth with zero intervention. (Not even a pelvic exam).
I plan to do it again if I can convince hubby to do a homebirth again.

My labor and birth was awesome. I was in cloud nine for 3 weeks! I'm still smiley and sentimental when I think about it or see pictures. I had a wonderful calm textbook homebirth with zero intervention. (Not even a pelvic exam).
I plan to do it again if I can convince hubby to do a homebirth again.

That's awesome! I had a very similar experience but at a hospital. I think I will brave it out the second time around at home. My first labour was so fast that my midwife said if I was having the second one at home I should call her super quick. She says doubts the second labour will take more than 2-3 hours all together.

Did you rent a pool to use at home?

Yes I did rent a pool and I had a water birth. It was great!!

I loved my labour and would have 5 kids if I could just do the labour part no pregnancy part! I think we are all thrown different things in life to cope with - perhaps this was my Luckey break? Regardless it was beautiful and I would do it again in a heartbeat - and we plan to very soon.

I loved my labour and would have 5 kids if I could just do the labour part no pregnancy part! I think we are all thrown different things in life to cope with - perhaps this was my Luckey break? Regardless it was beautiful and I would do it again in a heartbeat - and we plan to very soon.

You could be right :) I had THE most perfect pregnancy and I will always remember it fondly. However, my labour was horrendous but consider myself lucky that I didn't have 9 months of hell beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->