where do I stand?

lilmissdanni

Reaction score
My mat leave finished on 22nd Jan but I had no.idea. I have since found out that they were meant to write to me within 28 days of handing in my mat notice telling me what date I.should return

I also got told that I needed to give 8 weeks notice. Ive discovered through the citizens advice website that this is only.if.you wish to return early (im leaving)

Am I within my rights to hand in 4 weeks notice now? But backdate it to 22nd January?? X

I'm a little confused by your post, did you inform them at any time that you weren't coming back?

As far as I know, all employers presume you are taking a year off (in the UK) unless you advise them differently, eg I can have until 1st October off but I have told them I am going back on the 1st July (can't afford the last bit unpaid lol).

If I wanted to return sooner than the 1st July I would need to give them 8 weeks notice & if I wanted to leave completely then I would need to give my notice period which in my case is 4 weeks. So I'd have to tell them by the beginning of June that I wasn't returning. Hope this makes sense.

If you haven't told them that you were planning to leave then I would presume that you would have to give them your notice now & either work the 4 weeks or try & get signed off or maybe speak to them & see what can be done.

They should have sent you a letter detailing your expected return date so you may be able to claim that you didn't know, although I'm not sure that would work with my employer as it's in our staff handbook / contract, so it would depend if they can prove that you should have been aware of this already.

Good luck :flower:

We get a form we fill in the blanks on...my place assumes you are just taking smp.

I filled that in...I was meant to have 2 weeks leave then start my mat leave on due date but our company policy if you do this states that if you give birth before the date your mat leave is due to start that your mat leave then starts from that date and any unused annual leave day's are returned to your allocation. I gave birth 10 days early. They never recalculated the date my smp finished.

I have 3 week's holiday left by my reckoning....ive written my notice letter but as the nursery is in a locked gated complex, it obviously wont get post tomorrow so I'm not even putting it in post box till tomorrow.

I'm so stressed over this at the moment....I didn't exactly finish on good terms...they begged me to stay another week (I was 38 weeks when I finished) as they hadnt sorted any cover out for me... Good job I didnt stay....I finished on the Friday and had him on the Tuesday lol things wernt good when I finished so I think they are making life as awkward for me as possible.

I cant work my 4 weeks as there is no room in baby room for lo (not that Id send.him anyway....that's my main reason for not going back as if I did, Id have no choice) and I have no other childcare options.

I'd just send your notice then asap & request your holiday pay of what they owe you.

You are entitled to 13 weeks unpaid carers leave from your employer up until your child is 5 so I would ring them on Monday & say that you need to take some of that & therefore you won't be working your notice & so if they could just calculate all of your holiday pay & forward it on to you.

Put it in writing too but I'd wring them to tell them as then you also have a record of the call if they are being awkward (ie if it is your companies policy to ring in if you can't make it to work)

let me know how you get on. Good luck
x

I might be getting a bit confused, but I would hand your notice in now, if you haven't been off for a year you do not have to go into work you are entitled to 3 months unpaid at the end, but they should pay for any outstanding annual leave.

Ok just an update.

I heard nothing after handing in my notice....but then I got ill and lo got ill and I.didnt feel comfortable ringing.them up.

I havent received my holiday pay. We are sxrewed this month now. Going to have to bite the bullet.and ring up and see whats happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->