Where do u get the anti d and does it hurt?

jem_5500

Reaction score
It is that day today..is it in arm or bum and does it hurt :wacko:

I HATE needles with a passion and am already stressing! I would know so at least I know if that makes sense!

i have it in my arm. it does sting but once over is ok. throbbed for a little while but was fine after 5 mins.

I was terrified it'd be in my bum! Had it in my arm though. It was a bit stingy and stuff, but not too bad at all. x

I will go for the arm!! DOnt face a needle in the bum! Thank you x

Apparently there have been studies to show anti d is more affective as a single large dose than 2 smaller doses. Also that given in the arm is better than in the bum. I know at my hospital they have moved onto one dose in the arm, unless you have bleeds and then you go in for more anti d byut i know some hospitals still give in the bum.

I found the needle a little painful but was over fast and after 5-10 minutes was easy to forget about it.

In the past I've always had it in the bum (there is a fair bit of padding there so I cant feel it or see the needle), but at my 28 week appointment this time, they did it at the top of my thigh and it did hurt. If you get it in your leg, keep wiggling your toes as it does help with the pain

I had it in my arm! It did sting and I said ow but i I had just had bloods too they seemed to hurt more!! SLight sore arm but it did go within about 15 minutes! Hey not as bad as I made it out to be :D Thanks ladies

I'm the same with needles too - I even cringe when they're taking blood so I keep joking with the midwife that I'm not cut out for the labour pains because I'm a wimp. The jab doesn't hurt, if you imagine a horrific stab pain (as I did!) and really think OMG this is going to be the most god awful pain ever, then, you'll be pleasantly suprised and feel really proud of yourself when you're left holding a tinchy little cotton wool swab afterwards :)

I had it in my arm too, have to go back in 2 weeks for 2nd dose. It was a bit stingy at time but nothing really after.

I had it in my left arm, they said if you are really thin with no meat on you they would do it in the bum :thumbup:

I had a trainee nurse do it and I thought 'this is gonna kill' but I didn't feel a thing! :happydance: It wasn't painfull in the slightest, nothing at all to be worried about hun, it only takes a few secs :hugs:

Does everyone get this jab? I've not heard of it before - really scared of needles too thanks to 3 school nurses pinning me down for the 6 needle thing years ago!

fruiy is if your blood group is negative and hubs is posiivie as hey can conflict wih each other if baby is positive and bloods cross. this just ensures if bloods do cross the mums blood doesnt try and attack the baby! sorry my t is not work very well!

You would know by now hopefully as they do test your blood group in your first set of bloods xxx

I've done a lot of research into this as when I had my other children 12 and 17 years ago we were only offered it after birth if the baby was rhesus +ve and I don't want jabs if they aren't necessary.

At the time and now still it is given to protect future babies not the current one.
According to the N.I.C.E guidelines if there is sensitisation (ie if blood crosses to the mother and she sets up antibodies) it is unlikely to affect the current pregnancy but can cause problems in future babies.

Also on the same website (PDF document) it says it's not necessary to be given it if the baby is to be your last.

The guidelines can be seen here https://www.nice.org.uk/TA156

I spoke to my midwife about it yesterday as I was due the jab and she confirmed what I thought I already knew therefore I have not had it as this baby is definately my last.
Of course if you feel happier to have the jab then that's fine too!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->