Where to start on cloth nappies?

mum22ttc#3

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Hi, im quite interested on the idea of cloth nappies but as Ive only ever used disposabiles really dont know where I would start, I havent even made up my mind whether to swap or not yet it just seems really confusing. If anyone has any info on where to start and what I would need, where you buy from etc it would be much appreciated. Plus is it easy to change the nappies and that. Thanks.

Hi -im very interested in this too - My problem is im a bit overwhelmed by it all - dont really know where to start and still have a DH to convince that cloth is the way to go! So ease of use is really important to me.

All and any advice welcome!

Mizze

For ease of use you cant be bumgenius nappies. Everyone has their faves and you will hear lots of different opinions but for me small bum genius nappies work for less bulk and when my little one outgrows them in a few weeks i will get a few medium ones. Also the birth to potty ones which should work from around 8lb untill they potty train are fab too. I have a mixture of both types as my main nappy stash :)

I have heard of bumgenius and have been on their website

Thanks for link to thennappyline - v useful.

Mizze xx

It does all seem overwhelming. How many nappies will I need and where do you get the bits that line them. Also how do you actually wash them. Sorry for all the questions and I know some may sound silly but I really have no idea about a lot of it. Thanks for the link too, will definitely have a look xx

I Have just converted hun, i was totally overwelmed by all the different things you need etc but once you see the nappy etc its all very easy. I would suggest going for poacket nappies. They look and act just like disposables you just put whats called a booster inside and it soaks everything up and you can buy liners so the poo is easy to dispose of. I have found the 2 part nappies a little to bulky.
Maybe start by getting a starter pack, this will come with a couple of different type of nappy, boosters and liners. I got mine from Babykind. It was a good start but found i needed to order quite a few to get a real idea of whether it would work for me with washing loads etc.

There really easy, funky and quite slim really. Xxx

Sorry i meant to add, i would say to start with 6 - 12 nappies so you can have a full load before washing etc. If the initail expense seems too much maybe try looking on ebay, I had a recommendation for a couple of sellers on there and there much much cheaper. Xx

To wash every 2/3 days about 20 nappies. You can just put them in washing machine on a load by themselves and do a pre rinse first the wash at 40 degrees. If you mean liners that jsut sit in the nappy to help stop them getting too stained you can either buy a fleece blanket an cut that up into pieces and pop them in or little lamb do some fleece liners that are good :)

If you mean liners that jsut sit in the nappy to help stop them getting too stained you can either buy a fleece blanket an cut that up into pieces and pop them in or little lamb do some fleece liners that are good :)

Stupid question.. :wacko: By the fleece laying there do you mean you just lay it on top of the insert or whatever?

If you mean liners that jsut sit in the nappy to help stop them getting too stained you can either buy a fleece blanket an cut that up into pieces and pop them in or little lamb do some fleece liners that are good :)

Stupid question.. :wacko: By the fleece laying there do you mean you just lay it on top of the insert or whatever?

Not stupid question at all.
and your right they just on top of the insert.
It keep baby bum dry and protects the nappy.
so in between baby's bum and insert :)

Not stupid question at all.
and your right they just on top of the insert.
It keep baby bum dry and protects the nappy.
so in between baby's bum and insert :)

Yeah thats right or on top of the pocket. Easiest way to remember it is liner goes next to babies bum. Insert goes in the pocket if its a pocket nappy or under the liner if its a nappy that needs a wrap :)

Thanks for all the information and links, another silly question but does everything not get stained when baby poos, and how do you wash this off, thanks.

A normal wash in the washing machine is usually fine to get rid of stains. If you do get the odd stain, leaving the nappy in natural light (the brighter the better) will naturally fade stains if you leave them a while, or lots of people use a Vanish stain remover stick/bar. You have to rinse them really well after using Vanish so you wouldn't want to use it all the time but it's fine for the odd stain. Also, using a fleece liner will stop as much poo getting onto the nappy in the first place.

Sorry for all the questions but i was looking at the pack of pocket nappies you can get from ebay, they dont seem to be a make, does this matter. Also the ones I see came with double the amount of inserts, do you use 2 inserts at a time, thanks.

The ebay ones (ebay cheapies as they're affectionately called around these parts!) aren't a 'proper' brand and they're not as well made as more well known brands like bumGenius. Lots of people love them though. I'd say they just won't last as long so you save in the short term but it'd probably work out about the same cost long term.

Some inserts are more absorbent than others, so some nappies will come with one insert that is as absorbent as two of another make. If they come with two, yes you can use the two inserts together if you need to. Some of the cheap ebay ones that come with only one should, IMO, come with too cos they're a bit rubbish on their own. You can buy separate inserts though to top them up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->