Where to start?

GonnaBaMama

Reaction score
After being married for 2 years, we thought lets not 'try' and lets not 'not try'. So after having unprotected sex twice, I got prego! We were thinking it will take a while and not prepared at all! Just found out this weekend! Its my husband's bday this Friday so I will tell him then (keeping this a secret is sooo hard). I've been very sleepy (sleeping 10 hours daily) and eating only carbs because that is all I want right now. None of my friends have babies and I've never really been around babies so I don't even know where to begin with this pregnancy. I plan on hitting a book store this afternoon, but can anyone guide me with where to being?

Congrats!!! Your going to want to find an OB if u don't already have one, and make an appt. usually the 1st appt is pretty basic, just talking to confirm dates about lmp and when ur due. This site is a great source of info, but def finding some good pg books will help. I don't know what books are "popular" at the moment, but when I was pg the first time (2001), What to Expect When Your Expecting was a good one. I'm sure there is an updated version. Lots of good info. I'm sure there's lots of good ones out there though. GL!!

If you are in the US, you can call your doctor and set up an initial appointment. Most doctors like to see you around 10-12 weeks for the first appointment and as the previous poster said, it's pretty basic. You have a couple of blood tests ordered up, a urine test, and a Pap smear (unless you've had one in the last year). You and the dr will also go over your family history (hereditary diseases, mostly), cycle/lmp to figure out your estimated due date, and discuss any questions you may have. You may even get an ultrasound scheduled too to verify dates. I agree with the What to Expect book. Another great resource is your doctor. I've gotten several pamphlets and a few different booklets about what to expect while pregnant at my first visit. Congrats!

Congrats! The Mayo pregnancy book is also great.

Thanks ladies! Its so hard keeping this quiet! The only person I told so far is the McDonalds cashier because I went up twice to order different meals!

So I went to a local book store yesterday and bought What Expect when You're Expecting and I bought a Dad's guide to pregnancy for dummies for my husband.

I took the pregnancy test on Sat, and it was my first one ever and even though it came out positive, I still didn't quite believe it so I did get a blood test done and that came back positive yesterday. I have my next doc apt scheduled for Monday.

I hope my husband doesn't faint when he finds out cuz he has NO IDEA!

Congrats sweetie!! How exciting for you both!! Any cute ideas on how you are going to tell him on his birthday?

Congrats sweetie!! How exciting for you both!! Any cute ideas on how you are going to tell him on his birthday?

Actually, yes! Several years ago he took me to a park and written on the side of the cliff were the words 'I love you' in huge 6 foot letters that he built (it was the first time we said I love you to each other). So on Friday I'm taking him back to that park and in Bristol board letters I made a 20 foot long sign that says 'love of my life, I'm pregnant' and I'm going to suspend it from a bridge. I plan on recording the whole thing! Cant wait!!!

Actually, yes! Several years ago he took me to a park and written on the side of the cliff were the words 'I love you' in huge 6 foot letters that he built (it was the first time we said I love you to each other). So on Friday I'm taking him back to that park and in Bristol board letters I made a 20 foot long sign that says 'love of my life, I'm pregnant' and I'm going to suspend it from a bridge. I plan on recording the whole thing! Cant wait!!!

Oh wow that totally brought a huge smile to my face! I bet that is going to be an amazing experience. If you want, can you please share the video? I want to see how excited he gets! If it is too personal to share, I will totally understand! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->