Which bit is the nuchal translucency?

Evie.S

Reaction score
Hello, I had a scan today at what should have been 12+1 but was measured 10+5 (which is impossible but let's ignore that particular worry for now), they didn't measure anything but gave me a picture, can someone just tell me which bit is the nuchal translucency? Because if it's the one I think it is, the bigger one, it doesn't look good :( I know it's not optimal position and I'm measuring too small but I know I'm at least 12 weeks so it should mean something. I only noticed it when I got home so couldn't ask about it but I had four miscarriages before and never got as far as 12 weeks, so I'm worried sick. Just can't find any images that look exactly like mine. I'll try to attach the pictures to see if anyone can give me an opinion. But don't sugarcoat it please, I deal better with bad things if I managed to prepare myself so feel free to say "yes that is the nuchal translucency and yes it looks bigger than normal" if I'm pointing at the right thing. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 28
The other picture with what I hope is the NT but not convinced :(

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 22
Did you ask for an nt scan? It's not the top one- it's the bottom, looks totally normal to me!

Did you ask for an nt scan? It's not the top one- it's the bottom, looks totally normal to me!

I did, but measured too small this time so going back next week when I should be 13+2 by my dates or I guess 11+6 by today's scan. Thank you, I keep looking at it and now thinking the top one could just be amniotic fluid behind the baby that we can see because of the position. The bottom one does look normal and like all the NT pictures I've ever seen but freaked out a bit with the top bit because I never saw it before in any pictures! Feel a bit silly now but I'll gladly feel silly if it means it all looks normal (apart from measuring a lot smaller than the dates I know I am, but trying to tackle one paranoia at a time!)

Thank you again :) x

Ive been and found a pic of my youngest bAbys 12 week scan. You can see there are dark areas around the head and neck. Her nt measurement was absolutely fine and she's here and perfect- hope this reassures you a little :flower:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 20
Ive been and found a pic of my youngest bAbys 12 week scan. You can see there are dark areas around the head and neck. Her nt measurement was absolutely fine and she's here and perfect- hope this reassures you a little :flower:

Thank you :) It does (a little :p) probably just enough to start worrying about the measurements part! Oh well 🙈

Well, I saw your other post- and babies certainly don't shrink. Most likely just a discrepancy with the sonographers and position of baby- a week isn't really here nor there 😊

Well, I saw your other post- and babies certainly don't shrink. Most likely just a discrepancy with the sonographers and position of baby- a week isn't really here nor there 😊

It was the same person doing the scans and she's a consultant obstetrician so I would hope she knows what she's doing 😳 She didn't seem massively worry with the size in any of the scans that I measured behind but this was the first time she didn't immediately dismiss it (normally she just goes "oh that doesn't mean anything, I'm not worried") and actually measured twice, both times the same result. I know position can affect it and baby is all curled up, just not sure how much of a difference that would make. Think if it was just a week I wouldn't really worry (at least that would be consistent growth), it's more that it's falling behind more and more. 3 weeks ago it was 4 days behind, then 2 weeks ago a week behind and today it was 10 days. Can't help but freak out a bit 🙈 Really hope I just have a cheeky baby that likes to play hide and seek and curl up in a corner to mess up the measurements! Thank you for the reassurance :)

I hope that too. From the measurements of my baby, it looked like she was going to come out with stumpy legs and a huge head 🙈Just a couple of mm in measurements can throw the gestation off by days/ weeks and when they're curled up or wriggling all over its hard for them to get a decent measurement. Do keep us updated though x

In all of my reading from past scans OB are not as specially trained in sonography as a sonographer. Also, at 12 weeks the BPD or head measurements are more accurate for dating than crl. Hopefully it is just a discrepancy.

The nt measurement is a pretty difficult measurement to get. The baby has to be an exact position or else it can look off. Based on your scan the baby is not positioned properly so no one can say the nt looks normal or not. Also baby's head can't be bent Down like in your pic. I would wait and see what next week shows because honestly from these pics you just can't tell. I would be concerned with baby being behind but baby is growing. Baby can be small then catch up.

This is my nt scan. Our nt was borderline abnormal (2.97-3,1mm) and we had inc risks for downs but all was fine.

Attachments

• IMG_5599.jpg
    IMG_5599.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 13
Thank you everyone. I know the position isn't great, guess I'm just paranoid. When the doctor printed the picture she seemed really pleased that she got a nice shot and said baby looked really cute, I suppose she wouldn't do that if there was an obvious issue in the exact picture she was printing 🙈

I'm still worried about the growth but I was just working out my dates and even though we're still falling behing we actually dropped 3 days in 2 weeks when the previous scan we had dropped 3 days in one week so maybe this isn't actually as bad as it looks.

Basically this is what my scans have been measuring:

In the consultant scans baby measured 8+4 at 9+1 (so 4 days behind) then measured 9+1 at 10+1 (7 days behind and only 4 days growth in a week) and yesterday measured 10+5 at 12+1 (so 10 days behind and 11 days growth in 2 weeks).

I'm ignoring any other scans (the one I posted in the other tread that someone mentioned was a private one with the Panorama test) in terms of dating because of being different people and different machines, think it's more consistent to just go with the consultant scans since she's seen me most weeks.

So as I was saying now that I look at it, baby is still falling behind but the growth is falling slower than it was. Really hope that's a good sign! 😩

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->