Which formula to buy? (UK)

Bekah78

Reaction score
Hi ladies.

I'm hoping to BF, however, several friends tried and couldn't and thus switched to FF. As I like to prepare for every eventuality I'm planning on buying in some newborn formula just in case. Only problem is I don't know which to buy?

It seems the main brands here in the UK are Aptimal, SMA and Cow & Gate. They all look the same to be so any advice would be great. TIA!

Different babies will prefer different things, but until you have a reason to believe yours doesn't get on with one, they really are all the same, so take your pick. SMA tends to be more constipating for a lot of babies, so I'd avoid that to start unless you run out of other options. Aptamil and Cow and Gate are the same, made by the same manufacturer, same ingredients, etc. Aptamil is just more expensive because they spend a lot more on marketing. We used Cow and Gate as my daughter was happy with it and I couldn't see spending the extra 3 quid every time for Aptamil. Hipp Organic is another option if your LO doesn't get on with any of the others, and many find it's more gentle that other brands, but it caused my daughter to develop reflux and horrible projectile vomiting, which is how we switched back to Cow and Gate.

That said, if you are planning to BF, plan to BF. I wouldn't worry about stocking up on formula in advance. My daughter had all sorts of latch issues and struggled to gain weight and we had a horrible time with BF. But formula wasn't an emergency sort of thing. I didn't have any around the house and I didn't need it until I decided to switch. When we did decide to use formula (basically, I got mastitis so badly I was pretty much unconscious with a fever and my body wouldn't let me pump enough milk to feed her), which was around 10 weeks, we still had time to run to the store and get some formula. If you want to BF, the best way to ensure it's successful is to plan to BF. If a day comes that you do decide you want to use formula, you can always go get some then.

We used Cow and Gate from the beginning; like PP, I'd heard that SMA could make babies constipated and Aptamil is just the expensive version of Cow and Gate. My daughter has had no problems with it.

Thanks for your replies ladies. I hadn't anticipated the decision to swap would be taken over a few days. As DH is spindly injured and disabled as a result I was thinking I would prepare for all eventualities as I can't just send him out to buy stuff, but from your experiences I see this wouldn't be a quick decision. I'll stick to BF plan and buy in if I need to if plan doesn't work. Many thanks!!

I breastfed ds but now ff him I use hipp organic and its a lot better from aptamil and cow and gate I have used them on both dd1 and dd2 and they caused problems for dd2 with really bad constipation due to them, hipp has been the best by far and I won't switch to any other brand as it has really agreed with ds x

I used SMA with my DS, he had colic so changed to Cow and Gate comfort milk at 6 weeks and he was like a different baby. Dd started on Cow and Gate 1 but changed to comfort as well, she was so similar to DS it was scary. Again it really suited her and she was a much happier baby

We use Cow & Gate with our 8 week old daughter. have used the other brands with her older siblings really didn't like sma. and aptimil is exactly the same as cow and gate only more expensive so went for cow and gate this time.

In contrast my son hated everything but sma and never once got constipated because of it. He was on the staydown milk as well because of bad reflux.

I FF and used cow and gate xxx

We used aptamil with DS, if I formula feed this time around I'll be using the same as it's worked very well for us in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->