Which Would You Choose to Invest In?

fides

Reaction score
Hi! This will be my first live birth (God-willing), and I want it to be as natural as possible. I can't afford a home birth, and with what we will be paying for delivery after health insurance's portion, we can only afford one of the following:

-about $300 on a Bradley Method set of classes for DH & I with an instructor

-about $500 for a doula (and read a bunch of books on natural birthing for free from the library).

Which would you go for if you had to choose, and why?

thanks so much!!

I would go for a doula. You can go to classes galore, but when it comes to it, you might not find any of it useful or helpful. You might forget everything you paid for, go in to yourself, and deal with it that way. A doula is a flexible, physical presence and I would 100% go for a doula! Plus, she's there for you and OH, can advocate for you if things aren't going to plan and get provide moral support in whatever way you need it at that time.

Hope that helped somewhat!

im having a doula, shes my main birthing partner and shes also able to lend me good books to read and has also given me a hypnobirthing cd for free.

I'd go for the doula as well, as she can advocate for you in hospital and protect the space, as you can't HB. Also she will probably be able to teach you many of the methods in the classes anyway, or lend you books/CD etc, as mentioned above. Good luck!

Doula for sure. Once you start laboring you won't remember things from the class but your doula willbe able to guide you. Most of the doulas I'm interviewing offer classes.

Definitely Doula. For me personally anything I learn before hand tends to get forgotten about in the midst of it all. Having someone that knows what kind of birth I would like and who supports throughout pregnancy especially so close to giving birth is worth every penny.

Errmm.....:lol:

Well I'd (obviously) say a doula. Would the Bradley instructor be with you at the birth? I think most doulas are familiar with the kinds of techniques families are using these days, Bradley , Hypnobirthing, Natal etc. so they can tailor your preparation and support to really suit YOU as an individual AND incorporate your chosen techniques. Win win! Youll have someone there on the day supporting you and any other birth partners who you know, who knows you and your hopes for this birth and who you trust.

thanks, ladies!

merv, no, the Bradley instructor would not be there - from what friends who've gone through Bradley have told me, the Bradley instructors' goal is to get the husband prepared to be the coach. i think my husband is going to have a hard time as soon as he sees i'm in pain! :haha:

i was leaning toward doula, but really wanted to hear what you guys had to say, so thank you so much!

now on to finding the right doula...

I think that can be the thing with a technique. The partner is there to be the main support. No one can support you like your hubby can. After all is in love with you and this is his child not the doulas! The doula is there to help him to focus on supporting you with confidence and helping him remember how. It's difficult to remain objective and remember this stuff when you're seeing someone you care about deeply, working hard in the intensity of labour. The doula can support him as he supports you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->