White dot in skull during ultrasound??

Lonlo

Reaction score
I am 12 weeks and I went to get a quick scan today. I lost one of my twins two weeks ago and the doctor wanted to check on lost baby to see if it was disappearing. He showed me the surviving baby and gave me a picture but I didn't notice until I left that it had a strange white dot surrounded by a bigger black dot in its skull. I am worried something might be wrong with this baby because I didn't see this on any ultrasound I looked up. What could this possibly be?

Attachments

• IMG_4969.jpg
    IMG_4969.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 26
I'm sorry for your loss :(
I'm sure the doctor would have said if it was anything to be concerned about, but why don't you give him a call for some reassurance? ::hugs::

You should call your doctor for reassurance but I have ultrasound pictures with artifact and some of them look strange due to the focus. I have 3 pictures where my baby's skull looks completely different in each.

I agree that babies can look strange in ultrasounds. On one of my early ones it looked like baby had a big gap at the front of the skull, but all is going well with no problems. I'm sure any ultrasound tech would spot something that obvious if it was a problem xxxxx

I think what you're seeing is due to a slightly weird angle of the scan. A scan picture gives you a cross section "through" the thing being pictured, in this case your baby. I think that the cross section here goes slightly through the skull near baby's forehead and the white dot is a part of the brain. Whether it's that or a different artefact, I think it's extremely unlikely that it's actually an anomaly. Your doctor definitely would have commented!
I'm very sorry for your loss. But I think you can feel confident that this baby is healthy. All the best to you!

Thank you all so much. Obviously anything strange makes me start to worry. An ultrasound tech didn't perform this scan, my doctor has a very small ultrasound machine he keeps in his office to do quick ultrasounds on me and has said before he is not experienced in them. It might have been due to the ultrasound machine not being very high tech or just the way he angled it. I decided to make an appointment with an actual ultrasound tech tomorrow just to ease my mind. Hoping for the best with this baby. Had two miscarriages back to back before losing the twin so this really is my miracle baby.

Fingers crossed for your scan. Baby looks super cute in that scan pic but hopefully having a good ultrasound machine and a tech will put your mind at ease :)

Everything went really good! Baby was very active and had a heartbeat of 167. The head looked normal with no signs of abnormalities. So blessed. Thank you all for the kind words.

Attachments

• IMG_5039.jpg
    IMG_5039.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g