• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

White Poppies?

KandyKinz

Longtime Mama
Reaction score
Just wondering since Rembrance Day is coming up how everyone is viewing white poppies?

Do you wear one or plan to wear one? Do you wear one in conjunction with a red one? Are you getting your kids to wear one? Or are you opposed to them?

Personally, I planned to wear both white and red poppies as will my children (aged 5 and 9) but was recently told by a friend that their 7 year old son was instructed by his teacher to remove his white poppy from his jacket and not to bring it back to school so now I am feeling a little hesitant to send my kids to school with one......

But for me the white poppy really illustrates how I view things and thus far my kids agree though with a rather superficial understanding. While I believe it's important to remember the lives lost in the war I think it's equally important to move forward and strive to find new ways to bring peace to the world other then by use of violence. We've lost so many souls through war why lose more????

But now there's been a huge uproar regarding white poppies here in Canada and white poppies are causing quite a commotion.... Several groups are saying that white poppies are disrespectful to the dead and there is even a movement to make them illegal.... But I can't help but think that the individuals we are remembering.... the ones who died to protect us.... did so to bring about peace.... and that's the purpose of the white poppies.... to promote peace... Yes, it's promoting a different non-violent method of achieving peace but it's a continuation of what they fought for none the less....

So what's your thoughts???

i havent heard of the white poppy if iam honest so dont have a clue but i have my red poppie ready to wear as i cant wear it at work due to the nature of my job i would lose it so will wear it proudly iam after a desert poppie also there is a group on facebook for hte desert poppie and i like the idea of how its there for all the recent boy and girls we have lost in this silly war

Kandykinz - I'd never heard of them and had to google them! Certainly haven't seen them in Alberta, but that's no surprise. Nor in Winnipeg, where I am right now...

Anyway, I certainly like the idea and if I were to be staying here in Winnipeg, would probably get one if I could find one. However, in Calgary, it might be a bit too controverial to be worth the physical risk...

I agree - it's not the least bit disrespectful to those who have fought in any war - even what I will call for our purposes the "controversial" wars. In fact, I think it's the best way to honour their sacrifice - to promote peace and end unnecessary wars that put their lives and the lives of other soldiers at risk. I've never understood how opposing wars and supporting our troops are viewed at odds...

But again, Cowtown might not be the smartest place to show any centre leaning views, let alone left leaning views! Let me tell you, it's a strange place...

I rarely wear a poppy, but when I do it's only ever a white poppy. They're so hard to come by though - you have to get them off the internet and they're not as easy to keep on.

I'd never heard of them and I'm confused as to why they would be deemed offensive. Maybe because some people think the only way to achieve peace is to pacify aggressors? :shrug: I don't know. But surely peace is or at least should be humanity's aim?

I haven't worn a poppy for years. Not that I'm against them at all. I think people who fight for their country (even if their country is doing some stupid things) should be then looked after their country if they need it. A white poppy would sit better with me I suppose but I've never considered the red poppy as "anti-peace" just as I wouldn't consider a white one "anti-red poppy" if you get what I mean....

Iv never heard of white poppys.
I had a militery upbringing and through things like brownies, cadets, school and such have always had something to do with the remebrance perades so I have always worn a poppy.
I find it sad that you barely see anyone out selling them anymore and even and they used to be in nearly every shop by the till but hardly anywhere sells them these days.
Its also sad that alot of teens and kids (adults as well) dont even have a clue about the purpose or meaning behind the poppy and remembrance day.

I had a militery upbringing and through things like brownies, cadets, school and such have always had something to do with the remebrance perades so I have always worn a poppy.
I find it sad that you barely see anyone out selling them anymore and even and they used to be in nearly every shop by the till but hardly anywhere sells them these days.
Its also sad that alot of teens and kids (adults as well) dont even have a clue about the purpose or meaning behind the poppy and remembrance day.

Why is that by the way? I think that's probably why i never wear one any more. I love the whole poppy thing (the fact that they grow on barren land etc. and symbolically gave hope after the 1st world war etc.) but I can't imagine going out of my way to purchase one. If someone was in London selling them I'd probably buy one though....

I dont realy know why you dont see them being sold as much any more, when I was little you couldnt go into a shop without seeing them being sold or someone from the salvation army or such outseide selling them and you used to be able to get big plastic ones to go on the front of your car.
Something else hubby pointed out last night was no one on the BBC has been wearing one either and every other year it was a realy big thing that anyone on things like chat shows or the news on BBC had to wear one.
Like I said my dad was in the army and was one of the queens guards as well as doing active service and my nanna done alot with the salvation army so I was brought up with the attitude of its my responsibility (my generation not just mine) to remember, respect and continue this sort of thing.
A few years back I was working in a shoe shop and the three of us working there actualy shut the shop up and walked down to the parade to pay our respects but last year our little town didnt even have a parrade and its realy sad if thats what its coming to where children arnt taught about these things and why they are done

If I think about it it's a shame but I really think the Iraq war has a lot to answer for. But people need to remember that you're not condoning unfair wars or politicians. I made a radio documentary when I lived in America about young boys who went off to fight in the Vietnam war and ended up homeless on their return. It was so amazing to meet these guys (who were now much older and working to get more vets off the streets) and it's sad but a soldiers aren't rich upper class eton boys or angry racists or anything. They're just humans with jobs and ultimately, sadly, they are pawns to politicians many times.

I always wear a red poppy.

It's not a symbol of war or of support for the politicians who start them.

It's a symbol of hope and respect for those who have died because of conflict and those who are still alive but suffering because of war and the devestation it causes.

I can appreciate the sentiments of the white poppy but think it should be worn at a different time to the red one. It's the white one that strikes me as a political statement, much as the white wristbands for End Poverty Now were a policital symbol to force the issue into the political areana, and while it isn't a bad thing to want I don't think it should replace the red poppy or be used to detract from the meaning and impact of the red one.

In England the poppies are made and sold by the British Legion to raise funds for their charity work. There is a shocking amount of homelessness and mental illness in those who leave our armed forces, to say nothing of the injured service people who need help and support while they rehabilitate and come to terms with their injuries.

https://www.poppy.org.uk/make-a-difference

This says it better than I can, but I do know one serviceman from WW2 who has only just this year finally been diagnosed with an explanation for the way his health has suffered since the war, something to do with being in the tropical sun without proper equipment or protection. The British Legion are helping him.

The point of the red poppies is not polictical, it is to show respect to ordinary people who have made terrible sacrifices, compromised their own lives and health to protect others and defend those who could not defend themselves.

The red poppy has always been a symbol of respect for those who died and a way to help those who survived and I think it encompasses everything the white one does, so to me the white one is unnessary on Rememberance Sunday.

I always wear a red poppy.

It's not a symbol of war or of support for the politicians who start them.

It's a symbol of hope and respect for those who have died because of conflict and those who are still alive but suffering because of war and the devestation it causes.

I can appreciate the sentiments of the white poppy but think it should be worn at a different time to the red one. It's the white one that strikes me as a political statement, much as the white wristbands for End Poverty Now were a policital symbol to force the issue into the political areana, and while it isn't a bad thing to want I don't think it should replace the red poppy or be used to detract from the meaning and impact of the red one.

In England the poppies are made and sold by the British Legion to raise funds for their charity work. There is a shocking amount of homelessness and mental illness in those who leave our armed forces, to say nothing of the injured service people who need help and support while they rehabilitate and come to terms with their injuries.

https://www.poppy.org.uk/make-a-difference

This says it better than I can, but I do know one serviceman from WW2 who has only just this year finally been diagnosed with an explanation for the way his health has suffered since the war, something to do with being in the tropical sun without proper equipment or protection. The British Legion are helping him.

The point of the red poppies is not polictical, it is to show respect to ordinary people who have made terrible sacrifices, compromised their own lives and health to protect others and defend those who could not defend themselves.

The red poppy has always been a symbol of respect for those who died and a way to help those who survived and I think it encompasses everything the white one does, so to me the white one is unnessary on Rememberance Sunday.

I agree entirely.

I think it is disrespectful to wear a white poppy on Rememberance day as it is not supporting the families of those who died, or remembering those who died at all and what it does symbolise is disrespectful to those who did lose their lives, some of them barely men at all.

Where does the money from the sale of white poppies go?

I have never heard of a white poppy, so I will go google in a minute. I do wear a red poppy though and will go to a service on Rememberance Day.

Kandykinz - I'd never heard of them and had to google them! Certainly haven't seen them in Alberta, but that's no surprise. Nor in Winnipeg, where I am right now...

Anyway, I certainly like the idea and if I were to be staying here in Winnipeg, would probably get one if I could find one. However, in Calgary, it might be a bit too controverial to be worth the physical risk...

I agree - it's not the least bit disrespectful to those who have fought in any war - even what I will call for our purposes the "controversial" wars. In fact, I think it's the best way to honour their sacrifice - to promote peace and end unnecessary wars that put their lives and the lives of other soldiers at risk. I've never understood how opposing wars and supporting our troops are viewed at odds...

But again, Cowtown might not be the smartest place to show any centre leaning views, let alone left leaning views! Let me tell you, it's a strange place...

I lived in Calgary once when I was little and had a blast.... but it was for a very short period of time. Now I'm living in a very prominent military town in Canada so I certainly "get" the the atmosphere and why wearing white poppies would be considered ++ controversial. But I'm not the type of person to let that stand in my way (though I am feeling quite on the fence about sending my children off with them) and I have absolutely no problem going up on base wearing a white poppy.

This is the first year I've actually heard of the white poppy thing. I saw it on the news and saw some people distributing them when we went to Ottawa last. Apparently it was actually started in the 30's by some women who were widowed as a result of the war and it caused a whole lot of commotion and many of the women ended up losing their jobs and what not for wearing them.... Then the fad died down for a bit an now it's making it's face again.

I agree. Its sad really. I wear a red poppy and so do my children x

So are the white poppies for a reason? As in is the money contributed to some cause? Or is it a cunning ploy to sell to those inclined to be a little on the hippy side?

AND!!! Also, are there people out there who are ANTI red poppy?

One of the ladies I work with is anti red poppy but not because she disagrees with what it stands for but because she strongly believes it should be the government that helps pay towards vetrans and there care in later years not the procededs of a charity working all year round to make these poppys to raise money.
She buys one but doesnt wear it, she goes down in her own time to pay her respects and remember in her own way, something she says she does often not just on one day a year when told to.

So are the white poppies for a reason? As in is the money contributed to some cause? Or is it a cunning ploy to sell to those inclined to be a little on the hippy side?

The sale of the white poppys goes to funding this website https://www.ppu.org.uk/ there may be more to where it goes but thats all I can see for now.

I am all for people expresing their oppinions on war, peace after all would benafit everyone (well civalised non money grabbing people) but to choose to do it on the same day as remembrance day is a bit of a slap in the face to the whole point of the red poppy and to me is saying "stop moaning about those that died, they shouldnt have gone to war then" on a different day it would have given a whole different message but to do it on the same day is disrepectfull and on par with somthing like handing out free cigerettes at a cancer awareness avent

The sale of the white poppys goes to funding this website https://www.ppu.org.uk/ there may be more to where it goes but thats all I can see for now.

I am all for people expresing their oppinions on war, peace after all would benafit everyone (well civalised non money grabbing people) but to choose to do it on the same day as remembrance day is a bit of a slap in the face to the whole point of the red poppy and to me is saying "stop moaning about those that died, they shouldnt have gone to war then" on a different day it would have given a whole different message but to do it on the same day is disrepectfull and on par with somthing like handing out free cigerettes at a cancer awareness avent

I always worry about any pacifist organisations especially ones which were pacifist druing or before WW2. Do they not know what happened? :shrug: Sorry if that offends anyone but pacifism isn't the way to peace in my opinion. :flower:

I have decided, in my opinion, that white poppies on remembrance day are inappropriate now. Thanks smokey. :flower:

For those that think they are basicly saying and meaning the same thing this is a paragraph from their own website about how the sell their poppy.

"Each year our white poppies project challenge the war-condoning values of traditional remembrance ceremonies."

So no they are not symbolising the same thing.
If they chose their own symbol and day to view it then I think they would get alot more supporters but to specificaly target that particular day and play on the symbol of the poppy in a different colour is inapropriat and just shooting their own cause in the foot (in a non violant way)

They say it themselfes they are challanging the very point of remembrance day

The red poppy symbolises remembrance of all those who laid down their lives to defend this country and our way of life. The white poppy symbolises remembrance of EVERYONE that died as a result of conflict and calls for an end to armed conflict. How does that make it inappropriate to wear on remembrance sunday?

I am proud to call myself a pacifist, and I work towards preventing violence. If that means challenging certain attitudes and conventions, then so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->