Who gives a bedtime snack?

Zephram

Reaction score
Just wondering who else gives a bedtime snack? I've just started doing this with my 19 month old LO as his bedtime has naturally shifted later recently and he eats dinner fairly early. He does seem to sleep better if he eats something just before bed, too, but I never did this as a child, so I'm not sure how common it is? Not that it matters, I guess, I'm just curious.

At the moment his schedule is approximately this:

5:30/6am - wake
6:30 - eat breakfast
9:30 - morning snack
11:30 - nap
1-ish - lunch
3-ish - afternoon snack
4:45 - dinner (I try to get him to at least 5, but he is ravenous by this time!
6:30 - bedtime snack
7pm - bed

He always has healthy options as we don't keep junk food in the house. He is really tall, but slim, and seems to want to eat smaller amounts more often. Any other toddlers around like this?

ETA - Oh, I forgot to say that he asks to eat before bed. He is a good communicator and clearly says and signs eat simultaneously. He is also still breastfed.

My boys have a bedtime snack/supper every evening - usually a banana, some other fruit & milk. Sometimes toast/cereal etc

Wake up 7-7:30
Breakfast 7:30/8
Snack 11 - they don't always have this snack
Lunch 1:30/2
Snack 4:45 - this is usually very small, a smoothie or a single biscuit/cookie
Dinner 6:30
Supper 7:30/8
Bed 8/8:30

We don't, but then again Micah has tea quite late (6/6.30) as we wait for OH to get home. Micah also eats more at mealtimes than other toddlers I know, so I don't offer too many snacks in between. Usually just an afternoon snack of a piece of fruit/veg and maybe an oat cake or 2 to nibble if we're out and about a lot.

Micah's more likely to eat a big dinner, then request fruit/yoghurt afterwards and milk, than be hungry an hour later. But I don't see why your LO shouldn't space out his food if it suits him!

I do occasionally if th rew y have tea at five as they don't go to bed until eight. Also my eldest has started to get picky with food so won't eat all his meal sometimes. I normally do a few.digestives with three milk.around seven or half a bagel or fruit loaf toasted nothing too big but just a little something. Last night they had a late dinner and didn't finish until six thirty so I didn't do supper last night depends on how much they have eaten if the days been busy that sort of thing. As long as it's something low fat I see jo problem with it sometimes I am peckish before bed too :)

I give supper as he has tea around 4pm and is in bed at 7. Supper is between half 5 and 6pm and varies - last night it was a banana, sometimes it's cereal, sometimes cheese and crackers. I make sure it is carb/protein based to fill him up.

I tend to give cereal and some fruit plus a glass of milk before bed because at nursery they have their tea at 3:30 so she needs something else.

If it's not a nursery day sometimes we will eat as a family in which case we have our evening meal around 5. In that case I don't give anything extra, but she probably got an extra snack at some point before.

x

Nope. We do breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

When DS2 is at nursery though they do breakfast, snack, and lunch...and then he has dinner at home.

Sometimes, we don't usually snack but if he's been up earlier than normal, had early lunch and early dinner then he might have cereal or a banana along with his cup of milk bit usually the milk is enough.
Xx

LO has dinner at 5pm & bed at 7pm. but i do offer her a slice of toast & some milk before bed. sometimes she will eat & others she wont. x

If it's been an early dinner then yes but if they've eaten about 5ish then not usually

No supper here, teatime is 5:30, bedtime 7:30. My lo is not a big eater at all though, and doesn't really have any snacks. Some people\kids prefer little and often, and there's definitely nothing wrong with that. I would be happy to give a bedtime snack if he asked for it.

Nope, DD usually has tea at 5:30-6 then is in bed by 7. She has milk with her bedtime story but that's it.

We don't offer it but if she asks for something and we don't think it's just to delay bedtime we do give her something small.

I don't because by the time we finish dinner the maximum amount of time before they go to bed is 1 hour so I don't see the need. Generally our week days are as follows:

7-8 get up
8am breakfast
10am snack (assuming around this time as DS is at schoo and DD preschool)
12 lunch
3.30-5.30 constant grazing for DS-DD tends not to have anything.
6.30 dinner
7.30-8pm bed

If they were to have dinner at 5 or 5.30 then I probably would give a snack and as they get older and go to bed later then supper will more than likely be introduced. It was always something that happened in my house growing up but only once bedtime moved to around the 9pm point.

DS always has fruit before bed and sometimes a glass of milk. Sometimes if he asks for something else like toast or porridge we do give it him. But he has dinner around 3.30/4.30. Purely because if he hasnt eaten by then he wont eat at all because he gets too tired. He is asleep about 7pm most nights.

We have dinner at 6 and he goes to bed at 9, so I will give him something around 7:30-8, then bath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->