Who makes bottles in advance?

lauren1991

Reaction score
Who makes bottles in advance and if so how do u do it?

Reason is I've been following NHS guidelines of making a feed every time he needs one but I'm tearing my hair out with it x

I run my tap water til it's the hottest, our water tank is set the highest. I measure the water, put the formula in, mix and put it in the fridge. When i'm ready to use it, I just warm it up in the mic. No problems doing it this way so far with our 2 kids.

I boil kettle, leave for 20mins or so, then fill up 3-4 bottles with the water, add formula, shake and put in fridge.....when shes ready for a feed I pop in our bottle warmer for 3mins and thats it.

Shes had this since 5 weeks old and seems fine.

I did try the half cool boiled water then add half boiling water at time of feed that other ladies do but she seemed fussy on those feeds so went back to my normal method.

x

I've started doing it and it is sooo much easier!

I fill the kettle with fresh water and boil it, wash and sterilise the bottles (milton steriliser so takes 15 mins) by then the water is still hot but not boliing.

Make around 5-6 bottles, rapid cool in ice water and then put in the fridge.

When needed either warm in boiling water or in the microwave depending on how quick he needs the bottle :thumbup:

The way the above poster does is the safest method of premaking bottles. Remember to throw away any unused bottles stored in the fridge after 24 hours. xx

I'm just finding it really difficult with having to put the steriliser on for every feed and then making the feed at 2am with a screaming little boy.
I don't want to make the whole days in advance but maybe 3 or so I think once he's a couple of weeks old ill make in advance as the midwifes scared the shit out of me in hospital.

Was wondering if I was to sterilise say 5 bottles in the morning, put them together and put them in the fridge all day and use them when needed would they remain sterile?

Thanks girls u have put my mind at ease a bit x

I make all the waters and measure the powders up and put them in one of these

https://www.mothercare.com/Philips-Avent-Milk-Powder-Dispenser/723834,default,pd.html

Then just add when I need. So handy when I have a toddler to run after as well xx

Was wondering if I was to sterilise say 5 bottles in the morning, put them together and put them in the fridge all day and use them when needed would they remain sterile?

Yes once the bottles are sterilised if you put them together with the lids on then they will remain sterile for 24 hours (I never put them in the fridge, just left on the side).

I used to wash a sterilise all my bottles in the morning and I had an electric steriliser that takes about 6/8 bottles. Then I'd boil a kettle and fill my bottles and add the formula, shake them up then quick cool them in a bowl of freezing cold water then put them in the fridge. In the early days with LO I used to use a bottle warmer but found it so time consuming so I switched to microwaving them. I never had any problems. I just loosened the lid and put it in for 15-20 seconds then give it a good shake and then leave it to stand for 20 seconds then we were good to go x

I'm in the USA so do it a bit differently but I bought a Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher, you can make like 30 0z at once, I mix it, it makes it come out smooth almost like ready to feed and then pour into bottles, put in the fridge and they are good for 24 hours. I can't make them one at a time because they're too foamy and it aggravates her reflux.

I also microwave them, naughty me! she doesn't like it cold, at all!

I'm in the USA so do it a bit differently but I bought a Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher, you can make like 30 0z at once, I mix it, it makes it come out smooth almost like ready to feed and then pour into bottles, put in the fridge and they are good for 24 hours. I can't make them one at a time because they're too foamy and it aggravates her reflux.

I also microwave them, naughty me! she doesn't like it cold, at all!

This is what I do too. That Dr. Brown's pitcher is a life saver :thumbup: because lo's formula is kinda hard to mix and you have to shake it for like 5 minutes if you're only making one bottle, plus we use Dr. Brown's bottles and you can't really shake those bottles or they'll leak. I use Gerber or BRU water kept at room temperature and do 24 hrs. worth at a time that go right in the frig. I was given a bottle warmer as a gift so we use that to warm them up.

Well girls I have took the plunge and sterilised 2 bottles for night time feeding and put them to the back of the fridge.

Haven't put formula in them though it will probably take me a while to trust myself enough to do this lol x

Who makes bottles in advance and if so how do u do it?

Reason is I've been following NHS guidelines of making a feed every time he needs one but I'm tearing my hair out with it x

Boil your kettle.
Fill your flask.

If making a 6 ounce bottle.

Pour 3 ounces of the flask water into a bottle. then 6 ounces of formula.
Shake.
Add 3 ounces of cool boil water.

DONE INSTANTLY. No waiting time. no need to rewarm etc.

Easier making a bottle each time. making them up in advance took me longer i used to make 5 in advance but its alot quicker this way

Yes once the bottles are sterilised if you put them together with the lids on then they will remain sterile for 24 hours (I never put them in the fridge, just left on the side).

They only remain sterile if left in the sterilizer without the lid of sterilizer being open. they remain sterile 6 hours once removed from sterilzer depending on what sterilizer you use.

They only remain sterile if left in the sterilizer without the lid of sterilizer being open. they remain sterile 6 hours once removed from sterilzer depending on what sterilizer you use.

We use a Milton cold water steriliser. You can add things and take them out whenever (as long as they are left in the solution for at least 15 mins they will be sterile) you want, so doesnt matter about removing the lid ect. Im sure that Ive been told or read somewhere that if a bottle is sterilised and then fully assembled it will stay sterile for 24 hours. That's what we have been doing when needed anyway! xx

We use a Milton cold water steriliser. You can add things and take them out whenever (as long as they are left in the solution for at least 15 mins they will be sterile) you want, so doesnt matter about removing the lid ect. Im sure that Ive been told or read somewhere that if a bottle is sterilised and then fully assembled it will stay sterile for 24 hours. That's what we have been doing when needed anyway! xx
ahh i see i never used the cold water ones thats what it says on my avent microwave stterilizer but to be honest i still sterilized every 24 hours when she was abit older now shes 9 months i sterilize every 2 days xx

I sterilize all of my 6 bottles, boil freshly run water, make the bottles, put them in a bowl full of cold water for about 15 minutes then pop 'em in the fridge once there cold. When LO needs a bottle, i just pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds and its the exact temperature! so much easier!

I've been buying the bottles of ready made aptamil for the night time feeds but tbh I see myself using it throughout the day too. Its so easy compared making a feed up then cooling it down x

I do. If I did it the way it is meant to be done it'd drive me up the wall.

I boil the kettle, sterilise the bottles then once the kettle is boiled, put required amount of water into bottles. I then put the bottles in a bowl of water and get them to the right temperature. Add powder, shake, leave out to cool then store in back of the fridge.

I sterilize all of my 6 bottles, boil freshly run water, make the bottles, put them in a bowl full of cold water for about 15 minutes then pop 'em in the fridge once there cold. When LO needs a bottle, i just pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds and its the exact temperature! so much easier!

Do you put EVERY SINGLE bottle in the microwave? I did it with bottles every now and again. but every single bottle i wouldnt advice as every time you microwave a bottle its killing some nutrience. which doesnt bother me every now and again but i wouldnt do it longterm , xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->