Whole house caught a cold - will breastfeeding protect my newborn?

Wugz22

Reaction score
Will she get it as bad as my toddler since she is breastfeeding? He is doing awful - wheezing and coughing with a fever and a runny nose. This can't happen to my 2 week old!!

Honestly, you just need to wait and see. I tend to find that even if lo catches it, it's not as bad as his big bro and sis had it.
Xx

We had this! My toddler brought home a cold from nursery and my newborn caught it. :( I am formula feeding though and as you're breastfeeding you will offer some protection and probably find, like pp said, if your lo does pick it up then it won't be as bad. :)

If you have/had the cold as well then yes, it will probably help as you'd have passed on the antibodies through your breastmilk. If not, unfortunately, I don't think breastfeeding will necessarily offer extra protection from a cold.

Joseph had his first cold at not quite 3 weeks old. He had a another could a mo Tha after that. It sucked!

Breastfeeding won't provide protection from colds per se, but is pretty badass at protecting LO from a cold if YOU catch it first (research suggests as little as 40minutes is needed for antibodies to an infection to show up in your milk).

I was lucky my LO didn't get her first cold till she was about 8months old whereas I had about 3 during that period. However I was badly nourished and sleep deprived so I'm not surprised I caught anything going!

My ebf LO got a cold at around 3 weeks old, then I caught it from him.

As others said if you get it first you will have antibodies to protect your baby, my baby got a cold as a newborn from her brother was horrible.

However when my son and all his friends got hand foot and mouth she somehow avoided that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->