Whooping cough-advice plz

D

DizzyMoo

Hi ladies , I made a thread i think monday called " reducing temp on a 3yr old " about my sons temperature & sudden illness, Well i've been to the docs this morning & he's been prescribed pholcodine for a bad cough but as the days gone on he's got worse, He's just had a nearly 2 hour constant coughing session where i've ended up ringing nhs direct worried sick because he was struggling to breathe & was making a funny noise. The nurse who phoned back seems to think it sounds like whooping cough &because my son has now finally after nearly 2 & a half hours fallen asleep the chap said to phone the docs 1st thing & tell them what he said & that we need to be re-seen, He said to ring 1st as its highly contagious & obv other ppl will be in the waiting room so they may be able to offer an appointment where you go straight in etc.
Has anybody any advice on whooping cough , or has your child had it? I'm quite worried now & really don't know what to expect or do. He can't drink because he just chokes & coughs that much he's even struggling to get an intake of breath.
Sorry to be so lengthy but i kinda thought whooping cough was really serious & thought you would be in hosp with it so the fact this chap said to stay indoors is worrying me a bit. He also said there was no effect to my bump but can anyone elaborate or give advice please .

Thank you once again ladies x

Got an appointment with the docs for 10.40am so hopefully get this sorted out :(

My sister had whooping cough. I think you are supposed to put them in a very steamy room to try and open up their lungs? Like put the shower on close windows and doors and sit in the bathroom. Not sure if I am thinking right though.
Also when you call NHS direct it goes onto the doctors system and they 'should' have it flagged on their screen as an emergency when you go in and you 'should' be seen first. My OH called them up a few weeks ago and went to docs next day when I went to baby clinic, and his app was 40 mins away and DR called him in straight away.
So hopefully you will be seen instantly. BUT I do think you are only classed as an emergency when its a baby. I think the older you are the less serious it is. BUT dont quote me on that as not entirely sure.
Anyway found this for you - https://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27000258/

BTW its funny as my sister was only one out of us to have the whooping cough jab, yet she got it! Typical.

Hope he gets better soon

Only just noticed this thread is a few days old so you probs been seen already. how is he?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->