Whooping cough jab uk

oneday123

Reaction score
When were you advised to book your whooping cough jab? Most websites say 28-32 weeks, NHS says 20-32 weeks, but my midwife at my 16 week appointment said I could book it now. I had booked it, but have now cancelled it and will re book it in a few weeks time.

I had it at 28 weeks a few years ago as it was done with other bloods

This time I was offered it at my 25w appointment only to wait half an hour for the nurse who said that they (nurses) hadn't signed off to do it yet by then. I think that's a paperwork rather than medical thing though

I had mine at 28 weeks but I booked it early as my dr gets ridiculously busy, so I booked it at my 20 week apt for 28 weeks x

I think the biggest concern is during the first trimester. Guidelines vary. But make sure you don't forget.

I always got mine the day after I gave birth while still in the hospital. They offered them later in pregnancy, but I never got any while pregnant. But then, I live in the US.

I will be doing the same thing this time around, but I gave birth less than 2 years ago, so my last shot is likely still pretty effective (supposed to be up to 10 years).

I always got mine the day after I gave birth while still in the hospital. They offered them later in pregnancy, but I never got any while pregnant. But then, I live in the US.

I will be doing the same thing this time around, but I gave birth less than 2 years ago, so my last shot is likely still pretty effective (supposed to be up to 10 years).

The jab is for baby not mom and in the States it's recommended in third trimester. Your baby has no immunity in it's first 2 months unless you get the jab with enough time to create antibodies which baby uses to protect itself. Speak to your OB, getting it after you give birth does nothing to protect your baby.
https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/pregnant/mom/get-vaccinated.html

I didn't get mine til 32 weeks because nobody told me about it until the last minute! I was so annoyed it could've been done earlier because I had just finished my two week holiday from work and had to to go back to lifting heavy boxes :( So it would've saved a lot of arm ache!

Thank you for your replies. I'll be a couple of weeks short of the third trimester when I get it, but as the NHS says from 20 weeks now it should be ok. I wonder why the midwife said to do it straight after my 16 week appointment!

The jab is for baby not mom and in the States it's recommended in third trimester. Your baby has no immunity in it's first 2 months unless you get the jab with enough time to create antibodies which baby uses to protect itself. Speak to your OB, getting it after you give birth does nothing to protect your baby.

I had no idea that it passed on protection to the baby as well! I will definitely be asking my doctor about getting it during the 3rd trimester if she doesn't bring it up. Thanks!

I had no idea that it passed on protection to the baby as well! I will definitely be asking my doctor about getting it during the 3rd trimester if she doesn't bring it up. Thanks!

Oh, my pleasure. I just had a text from my friend in Florida who's going to skip the vaccination :grr:

In Australia they say in third trimester to be safe

Oh, my pleasure. I just had a text from my friend in Florida who's going to skip the vaccination :grr:

Ug! I would never skip it entirely. I just didn't realize it gave the baby protection, so I always had it afterward. No one explained that to me.

Count this Floridian on the pro-vaccination list, lol. :)

Ug! I would never skip it entirely. I just didn't realize it gave the baby protection, so I always had it afterward. No one explained that to me.

Count this Floridian on the pro-vaccination list, lol. :)

You're in Florida too!
Glad to hear there's one lady over there with good sense!:thumbup::happydance::bunny::thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->