Whooping cough making a come back becoz people don't vaccinate

mummy2lola

Mum to 2 trying for 3
Reaction score
My mum just rang to tell me on the news they r urging mothers to get their child immunised as whooping cough is making a comeback and it's becoz people aren't getting their childs boosters or not vaccinating at all.They stated whooping cough in a baby can b fatal so I guess I'm just completely confused why people r not vaccinating when alot of things got wiped out due to immunisations and now there coming back.

So I guess my debate is,r u causing ur child more harm by standing firm on ur beliefs in the end? Xx

We decided to vaccinate Isaac and I'm glad we did. People talk about the risks and so forth but IMHO, it is more risky to not vaccinate than to vaccinate. Whooping cough is awful and extremely dangerous in babies which is one of the reasons, in Australia the 2 month shots are now recommended to be done at 6 weeks. I avoided taking Isaac to public spaces until he had his shots

I do know a lot of people who avoided the whooping cough vaccine not because of 'principle' but because of severe reactions to the 5-in-1 vaccine that contains the whooping cough vaccine now-two of my boys had severe reactions to the 5-in-1 we are talking long term failure to thrive problems here which meant they were extremely susceptible to dangerous illnesses during that time. I have not yet given the 5-in-1 vaccine with this baby and am looking into private seperate vaccines, I could not risk his health and despite having the same allergies as my other boys he has not had the same health issues at all. Other babies have had fits and cysts on the brain due to this vaccine-this 5-in-1 vaccine isn't licenced in the vast majority of countries and I believe the UK government should scrap it and go back to the DtaP version (diptheria, tetanus, whooping cough) which is used in 99% of countries, the reasons they introduced the 5-in-1 for are no longer valid; the DtaP no longer contains mercury and there is now a seperate inactivated polio injection that didn't exist 5 or 6 years ago. The dtaP is a lot safer and i feel they'd get a lot more uptake of it xx

N.B. there have been serious whooping cough outbreaks even when the vaccination rate is really high, I don't know how effective the newer versions are but the older whooping cough vaccine was known to be not that effective, my sister had it and still contracted a severe form of whooping cough

I am really happy to vaccinate against whooping cough, seems like a good idea

but why is the only way to vaccinate against whooping cough also vaccinating against 4 other diseases?

Tetnus; well my newborn wont be around animal poo or rusty nails so no thanks
polio has been eradicated for years, surely it can wait til they are three and a bit bigger to vaccinate against that if at all?

diptheria - caused by poo in water... which in a society like this is so unbelievably rare so why on EARTH are we forcing little wee babies to be vaccinated against it?

hepititus - so rare, SO RARE that it seems silly to put a young childs immune system through that

the hp1 strain they vaccinate against i can understand because of menigitus but still, why with all the pointless ones?

plus if you breastfeed, your baby shares your immunity anyway so no need to vaccinate til way after six months unless you are formula feeding in my eyes, and then it is arguable.

I do know a lot of people who avoided the whooping cough vaccine not because of 'principle' but because of severe reactions to the 5-in-1 vaccine that contains the whooping cough vaccine now-two of my boys had severe reactions to the 5-in-1 we are talking long term failure to thrive problems here which meant they were extremely susceptible to dangerous illnesses during that time. I have not yet given the 5-in-1 vaccine with this baby and am looking into private seperate vaccines, I could not risk his health and despite having the same allergies as my other boys he has not had the same health issues at all. Other babies have had fits and cysts on the brain due to this vaccine-this 5-in-1 vaccine isn't licenced in the vast majority of countries and I believe the UK government should scrap it and go back to the DtaP version (diptheria, tetanus, whooping cough) which is used in 99% of countries, the reasons they introduced the 5-in-1 for are no longer valid; the DtaP no longer contains mercury and there is now a seperate inactivated polio injection that didn't exist 5 or 6 years ago. The dtaP is a lot safer and i feel they'd get a lot more uptake of it xx

N.B. there have been serious whooping cough outbreaks even when the vaccination rate is really high, I don't know how effective the newer versions are but the older whooping cough vaccine was known to be not that effective, my sister had it and still contracted a severe form of whooping cough

So sorry to hear this :( poor boys :(

We vaccinate. I think the benefits outweigh any potential 'risks'. & I'm not going to lie, I sometimes get a bit irked with those who chose not to. I understand its their choice as its their child but what if their child got my baby sick before he has a chance to be vaccinated?

I am really happy to vaccinate against whooping cough, seems like a good idea

but why is the only way to vaccinate against whooping cough also vaccinating against 4 other diseases?

Tetnus; well my newborn wont be around animal poo or rusty nails so no thanks
polio has been eradicated for years, surely it can wait til they are three and a bit bigger to vaccinate against that if at all?

diptheria - caused by poo in water... which in a society like this is so unbelievably rare so why on EARTH are we forcing little wee babies to be vaccinated against it?

hepititus - so rare, SO RARE that it seems silly to put a young childs immune system through that

the hp1 strain they vaccinate against i can understand because of menigitus but still, why with all the pointless ones?

plus if you breastfeed, your baby shares your immunity anyway so no need to vaccinate til way after six months unless you are formula feeding in my eyes, and then it is arguable.

Worth remembering that we have more and more immigrants coming over to the UK. i know that poland has a much higher rate of both hepatitis B and C than the UK for example.

Still think the vaccines could be offered seperately or in less massive quantities and there is really no need to vaccinate so young.

I believe in vaccination but delayed vax. J has had the 5in1 and also a meningitus vaccine but they were at 7 and 9 months. He will probably have the two again in the next year or so x

I think the risks of not vaccinating are greater than the risks of vaccinating. actually thats not my opinion, its a fact.

My view is, either way you are taking a risk. So why choose the option that poses a greater risk ie, not vaccinating???

no, that is not fact.

If people choose not to vaccinate their children, due to a possible history of autoimmunity disorders within the family, or because of previous vaccination injury, who are you to judge that person?

Most people who vaccinate do so 'because they are told' most people who do not vaccinate do so after months and months of research and study. Says it all really...

I did months and months of research because 1) my son had a severe reaction to the MMR. 2) my daughter has ASD (autism) and after lots of research and speaking to many doctors, I decided to do full vaccinations. I think it's complete garbage when people say those who vaccinate do-so simply because we are told to. We are not all walking pylons...some of us have brains and use them.

I know a lot of people don't vaccinate because a lot of these diseases aren't prevalent in our countries, but I look at it this way, these diseases aren't common because of vaccinations. But what would happen if everybody stopped vaccinating?

Most people who vaccinate do so 'because they are told' most people who do not vaccinate do so after months and months of research and study. Says it all really...

Just in case anyone has trouble flipping back the page...

I definately don't agree that 'most' parents vaccinate because they are told to. I think 'most' parents will care enough to think for themselves and a lot of parents will ask themselves what they think is best for their child.
It seems as if you're saying most people who vaccinate don't care but all of those who don't vaccinate do care...
I think that comment would insult 'most' parents.

Evie is vaccinated but delayed. At 20 months old she has had all her vax now until she is of school age. Any other children I have will be vaccinated too.

I done a lot of research as I was very much on the fence... To vax or not to vax.

I totally respect a parents choice not to vaccinate their child but for me, the risks of not vaccinating are worse than vaccinating

Before I got pregnant with Evie I was always ill. I've got a rubbish immune system and used to get every cough, cold, stomach bug going!

Since being pregnant and breastfeeding I've only been ill twice! I caught the awful Norovirus from the hospital when Evie was 2 weeks and about a month ago I had a horrible cough.

Evie has be ill once and she didn even get the Norovirus and I gave that to DH my mum and my dad lol

Breastfeeding plays a huge part in building a child's immune system... And a mothers!

I did a lot of research too and concluded it would be better to vaccinate. Vaccine uptake is high here so the diseases are rare but we get a lot of tourists from Russia and the Baltics so its not worth the risk to not do it.

I do agree that most people who choose to research will choose vaccination, but I think that they will delay at LEAST if not selectively vax

there is NOTHING to explain why 2 month old babies are vaccinated against diseases that even in 2nd world countries they would be unlikey to come into contact with until they were older. Vaccination at such an early age is needlessly putting children at risk, Norway and Sweden ALL wait until at least six months (which is also the WHO guidelines) before injecting their children with virus's (wether dead or live)

Most people who vaccinate do so because their doctors tell them to, people who research vaccinations AT ALL are rare, usually though, people who do not vaccinate have done so due to research and have concluded it is not right for them. You have to remember there are a lot more people vaccinating than aren't, it isn't a slight on people who vaccinate and keep themselves informed, it is just in my experience i have come across many women who have chosen not to vaccinate and not one has made that decision lightly. I have however seen literally hundreds of friends, people from playgroups, aquaintances just blindly vaccinate at 2/4/6 months old, without researching it one bar, simply because their doctors told them too.

Norway and Sweden (and my country) start vaccinations at 3 months, not 6 (2 months if you count the rotavirus vaccine) so dunno where you've been getting your information from in your research :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->