Why a Second Middle Name?

mommy2be412

Reaction score
Is it common nowadays to give a second middle name or is that more popular in other countries? I'm in the US and I never really even heard of doing that. Just wondering if its a new trend.

I think its most common to have one or non, but there have always been a few people who cant make up their minds so add more, I went to school with a girl that had 8

My family had a tradition of giving girls two middle names , its actually pretty common here I'm in Canada an know a ton of people with 2 middle names .

( my grandfather actually has no middle name and that is wierd )

Mine have 2 middle names, only because of our history we didnt know if we'd conceive a second time and wanted to use both dad and fil names as well as a first name.

I only have one middle name and my son only has one middle name xx

I also live in the states, and don't really know anyone with 2 middle names.

I have two middle names, my sisters only have one. I dont know why I was given two but I like them.

My LO only has one.

I think 2 middles names is usually when you want to name the child after somebody.

I'm in the UK and two of my children have two middle names, mainly because we wanted to use both of the names and couldn't make our mind up which one to use :shrug:

I'm in the US, too, and have only known one person with two middle names. (That was my cousin because my uncle wanted him named his own name, my uncle'sname, my grandfather's name, my great grandfather's name... but everyone else in the family thought it was wierd.) I've noticed the trend on this site, but I wonder if it is just more common in the UK or other countries? I don't think I have seen it much with other people from the US, so it may be a country/regional thing?

Hi!

I am in Canada and I really don't hear of too many people having 2 middle names.

Now, its not unheard of but usually its just the middle name.

Perhaps people do it because they have more than one person they would like to "Honour" and maybe its a matter of not having another child, or not having another boy and girl and they want to get the names out there.

I am planning just one middle name.

We gave our first child 2 middle names because we both wanted to honor a family member. And since we did it to the first, we did it to the second....but with #2 it was just names we liked....not honoring anyone. So with ttc #3 of course why start a tradition and not finish it....He/she will also have 2 middles.....myself and my DH only have one middle name.

Poppyhas 3 our little boy will have 3 also my first ds has one lol

I don't think it's that common here (uk) either. My two older sisters and brother as well as my parents, hubby and my first, second and fourth chil all have one. Myself and my third child have none. And my younger brother and my fifth chil have two. My mum knew my brother would be he last so used her dad and my paternal grandfathers names and similar for me, I thought Riley Rae Ann would be my last so used a part of my dads name (Raymond) and my mums middle name.

I live in the US and both of my baby sisters have two middle names- after their two grandmas. Alexis Lee Dawn and Jayden Leigh Lois

I only have one middle name though- Lynn :)

I have two middle names, and am from the us, and I hate it because when I took my husband's last name I wanted to use my maiden name as my middle name so then I had three! its just too many! So we gave our daughter one middle name so her maiden name will become her second, and if we have any sons in the future they will have 2 middle names. :)

My son doesn't have a middle name at all. Didn't see the point :shrug:

I only have one (not counting my maiden name which I kept as a second) as does my husband. If we have a daughter, she will have two. Any other children will most likely only have one. I am also in the US and don't think it makes a lot of difference as the majority of paperwork only acknowledges a single middle initial or name. I know lots of people with two middle names, that is more common in my experience than not having any. Three is much less common and I don't know anyone with more than three.

My dad had 2 middle names, one a normal middle name and the 2nd was given when he was baptised/Christened, I think this is part of the tradition in the Irish side of my family.

I live in the US and I have two middle names. My kids have 2 middle names too. We wanted to use the middle names of the grandparents for our kids middle names but didn't want to insult one grandparent by letting the other be *first*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->